Skip to main content

A couple of questions, probably already answered but 1000 questions before and I don't have time to sift through them all.
1. Does the AS max bid have to be the same as my max eBay bid?
2. Once I add the auction to AS, should I just keep my fingers off the keys and wait for AS in the last seconds? Or, should I bid again on eBay if I am overbid, but still under my max?
3. This just occured to me: If I'm the only bidder on some item and I win it at the asking price, why does AS jump in and announce that I've won because of THEM? I still have to pay the fees, right?
Razz .... Just trying to get this straight...
------------------------------ "I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity." EA Poe
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

1. They are independent of each other. And, placing a bid through ebay has a high probability of being redundant, and costs you the element of surprise.
2. You can place a manual snipe, but again there’s a high probability of the manual snipe being redundant. AS doesn’t guarantee 100% of its snipes are placed, but the percentage is almost 100%.
3. Click on “Modify Account” and “My Snipes”. Roll down to the “InstaMail” setting, and turn it off.
http://www.auctionsniper.com/faqbasics.aspx#basics15
quote:
I still have to pay the fees, right?
Right.
quote:
Confused Uhhhhh, let me see now. What you're saying is that I do NOT bid on eBay for the item I want AT ALL????? Just enter the item number on Snipes is sufficient??? I read all the information, but after years of bidding on eBay it still sounds odd not to place that maximum bid amount ON eBay itself.
Welcome! You are correct. You set the bid on AS--remember to place the absolute maximum that you are willing to pay, with an excellent chance that you will get it for less--and then you walk away. Do NOTHING on eBay.

Good luck!

P.S. One exclamation/question mark is probably sufficient per sentence, don't you think? Wink
quote:
Or are you one of those UK people hung up on protocol?

Dictionary definition of:
Protocol
1. Etiquette of formal occasions: the rules or conventions of correct behavior on official or ceremonial occasions

2. Code of conduct: the rules of correct or appropriate behavior of a group, organization, or profession

3. International relations international agreement: a formal agreement between states or nations

4. Record or draft of agreement: a written record or preliminary draft of a treaty or other agreement

5. Computer rules for networking computers: a set of technical rules for the transmission and receipt of information between computers

The others are in common usage now, particular number 5.

What you probably really meant was either:

Semantics
1. Study of meaning in language: the study of how meaning in language is created by the use and interrelationships of words, phrases, and sentences

or possibly:
Grammar

1. Rules for language: the system of rules by which words are formed and put together to make sentences

2. Particular set of language rules: the rules for speaking or writing a particular language, or an analysis of the rules of a particular aspect of language

Source of definitions

As you may now have gathered, we "UK people" are very, very "hung up" (as in hang the washing up?) about the abuse of our poor mother tongue!

Oh yes, Chatter is one in a million - a US citizen who believes in English Grammar.

Paul

Wink (Not quite the tongue in cheek smiley I wanted)

Rick will give you a swift introduction to British humour if you ask him nicely!
Last edited by camera
Well.....Alrighty then. Since I'm SUCH an imbecile, I'll just go crawl back into my Neanderthal cave and chip at a few stone tools.

OH! But, I almost forgot: Tool making is a MAN'S job, so I guess I'll chew on some animal skins to soften the hide for winter cloak for the master of the cave. After all, he must HUNT! Me cook. Him HUNT with longggg spear. Longggg spear makes hunter feel more manly. Why men always want something longer or bigger? Could be symbol. What think you? Big Grin
Just keep sniping!

Your bound to end up with a nice fur coat cheap!

(A lot cheaper than being nibbled at if you had played it the eBay proxy way)

Welcome to the forum! At least you took the abuse in good spirits!

You will find that we are all pretty rude to each other. Usually its Brits v Aussies v Americans (in no particular order) However the rude Australians have `taken themselves off of late and its now UK v USA, which is a lot quieter!

Paul
quote:
You will find that we are all pretty rude to each other

Well, THAT'S not very nice! Here I am, a newbie and I'm already being told that rivalry, back-stabbing, and name calling are the norm? Frown
Woe is me! I need trusted guidance and nurturing to get me through the complicated process of Sniping. (sigh...)

I tried Sniping 2 items this afternoon and each time I was outbid by a stupid "proxy bid." In fact, one of the auction winners won within 4 seconds of the end of the auction. Could he/she have been a fellow sniper? I'm shocked!!! (Yeah...sure...)

But I should have seen this coming.... I mean, a name like Auction Sniper should have been a clue as to the behavior of the participants.

So, ah, who got that Roman coin I was after? Hmmmmmm??? (You dirty rat!)

Nancy
quote:
complicated process of Sniping

It is not a complicated process in the sense of making a bid!

Basically, once I have decided that I am placing a bid, I simply click on the "Snipe it Now" link on my browser's link bar and enter an amount. (If you want to know how to set this up, just ask, as there is a vast font of knowledge amongst the regulars)

The difficult bit is the strategy!

First learn to be an expert in "Double talk" A lot of sellers indulge in this because they are general dealers nd pretend they "know nothing"
Watch what is not covered in the description and ask questions about the side not shown in the photo! This kind of "sparse description" always lowers the price, so if you run across a well described item from a known and respected seller, expect to pay top dollar.

You will probably say "I know this!"

I have just chosen this as an example of the sort of thought processes I go through when placing a snipe.

Other factors that influence my bid:
Country only auctions - always lowers value - I buy lots of "Australia Only" items - small marketplace=bargains. Thats why a good feedback record helps - I simply ask them to look at my feedback and in 99% of the cases they say "OK, you can bid"

Small/no feedback sellers - some bargains to be had if you tread carefully. You can normally sense they are first time private sellers. I generally send a probing email - their response soon tells you if they are genuine.

Wrongly categorised items - quite frequent from first time ebayers. Not so much mispelling I find, as wrong categorisation. A lot of cameras don't have badges, so they list it under the name of the lens!

Study past "completed auctions" A spreadsheet record is very useful - I do this for items I am serious about collecting.

Different countries place different values on things. German collectors prize Accord Radios highly. UK Collectors don't. The reverse happens with Hacker radios. I have bought B & O equipment largely abroad, because it fetches silly prices in the UK.

All the above will give you a guide as to where to aim. Sniping has two main advantages, your proxy bid does not get "nibbled up" and you don't get involved in a bidding war.

I think the main lesson is to study the marketplace more carefully. If you were outbid look at the reasons - many participants? Keen collector? (look at his feedback) I know now who will buy certain cameras at silly prices and if they bid beforehand, I don't!

Lots more people are sniping now, so there is always the element of the unknown. However as an informed sniper you should win most of what you bid on - look for around 80% success.

If you collect coins, then that market place is well documented and I am afraid this will work to your detriment on prices. It is the less well known markets where bargains abound!

Paul
I live in West Wales.

For my sins, I work for a couple of days a week for a company that rents holiday cottages. Consequently, I have been adding pages that give some sort of idea of the countryside and coast around here.

I will shortly be adding one for the nearest town to us, Newcastle Emlyn, but these other pages should give you a flavour of the area.

A brilliant place to live and I never hanker after the city life, but earning a living in a country area is always more difficult!

Aberaeron - Georgian Town

St Davids - The UKs smallest city

Cenarth Falls - small village near us

All the above are my photos, the next one was taken by the Office Manager Alison and will interest you if you are a bird watcher.

Grassholme Island

Plenty more pages of photos, but probably better under the general board

We used to have people posting pictures of where they lived and I thought it made the whole board a lot more interesting.

Paul
WOW! The photos make it look like a charming place to live. I've always been interested in ancient history and places and things dating earlier than 1776 (US Independence Day. WHICH IS TODAY, JULY 4th as a matter of fact!)

Interestingly, there is an old Welsh community not that very far from me in Wisconsin, USA. It was a coal mining area about 175 years ago or more and looks EXACTLY like many of the pictures. Mostly now, it's an artist's community with all the old Welsh buildiings still standing as historical buildings. Some artist's have their studies in them, a large Welsh restaurant is in another, and a small area is a restored Welsh "museum" of sorts, complete with people in period costumes to lead tours. It's a wonderful place to visit. Mineral Point is the name of the town. I live in Waukesha. That's an old Native American name that means something about the natural springs we have here.

In my area, any thing built prior to 1900 is considered "old." We Americans don't have a very long history. I visited southeast England a few years ago. My brother was sent to Windsor to work with the General Electic group there. He's an engineer. You could see Windsor castle from his windows. So we did all the "touristy" things, but never went as far west as Wales. I found myself getting very fond of the little reminders: "Mind the gap." "Mind the step." "Look right." I've heard that American's frequently forget the latter and end up returning home with injuries!

I don't know that I would ever get to see Wales. I have a weird bone disorder that has caused me 60 fractures since 1992. Currently, I'm sitting here without the top half of my left femur (thigh bone). The top half died and fell off into the surgeon's hands. I'm scheduled for replacement with a titanium prosthesis in exactly 10 days! I'm not looking forward to it. One of these days the doctors are going to kill me!

Well, must mind the Snipes! Talk to you later!

Nancy
quote:
Or are you one of those UK people hung up on protocol?
He’s a Yank. You can usually tell a Brit – they say something humorous.

quote:
However as an informed sniper you should win most of what you bid on - look for around 80% success.
Counterpoint – there’s also the argument that if you are winning that many auctions, you’re spending/bidding too much.

quote:
US Independence Day. WHICH IS TODAY, JULY 4th as a matter of fact!)
In keeping with the spirit of things, I guess I’ll spend most of today trying to overthrow the government.
In the scheme of things, the pain isn't the main problem. As far as fractures go. after being dragged onto a gurney then dragged againonto an X-ray table where they expect me to do acrobatics for a good "picture," then BACK on the gurney, and FINALLY returned to bed, the pain is just momentary during those transfers. Once I'm settled and positioned correctly, it really isn't there. So I brace myself and keep thinking: "Momentary pain. Momentary pain..." and I get through it. I'm discovering how tough I really am!!!

What really annoys me is my lack of independence! July 14th I'm getting a new hip. I've been started on a new medication for bone growth. This time I'm going to insist that they cement the prosthesis in instead of using screws, which invariably becomce weakened because my bone doean't heal around them. Metal fatigue due to non-healing bone around screws has broken a long stainless steel plate, AND a steel rod! My new one will be made of titanium. I hate to think of the cost!!! It has to be made specifically for me. $$$$$$$ I'm only 57 and the other day I got real excited over the prospects of finding a newer model WALKER!!! I sound like I'm 97 some times!!

My big goal after this is finished: to walk around the block without the walker or severe discomfort. WHAT A JOY!
Nancy,

Reading your description of how life is for you at the moment shames me. I "niggle" at the small things in life having forgotten the biggest gift is good health.

I simply don't think I would have your fortitude to bear all those operations.

I think the way you are dealing with this crisis is an inspiration to the rest of us.

If buying on eBay distracts you and you want advice on any matter, just ask. Rick, R2, Shirl, Chatter, Lexie, Mike from Yorkshire have a wealth of practical experience that they are only too pleased to share.

Wishing you all the best, as you face the next "round" of operations.

Paul
Uhhhhh.......define "niggle" please?

Everybody has things they must cope with. And NO ONE gets through life without problems. NO ONE lives a charmed life. Just look at all the celebreties: divorce after divorce, drug and alcohol problems, trouble with the law, etc. etc. etc. They may LOOK better than us average folks, but they still have their share of difficulties to deal with.

My "Mum" is currently really depressed because she may have a brain tumor. She'll be going for more definitive tests in a few weeks. She asked me, "How do you cope?"

My answer is that sometimes I DON'T! That's when I over do it on eBay or eat compulsively. But what really helps to curb those reactions are connections. By connections, I mean having several people to call and just open up with all my "woe is me" problems.

If you feel you have a heavy burden, then SHARE it with others. It will NEVER be as heavy to them as it is to you, and it will lighten your load. Not to mention understanding friends will many times look at your problem from a slightly different angle and then tell you why it isn't so bad after all.

We are all connected. The web of life needs all its "strings." If one breaks, it effects the entire web. So you learn ways of re-tying your string. It's important to maintain your connectedness. People, nature, the cosmos are all connected. Humans are social animals, just like all the great apes, whales, elephants, and others. Ya' CAN'T make it totally on your own!

But you all knew that already, didn't you?
quote:
Originally posted by caneartist:
drug and alcohol problems
No problems as it’s fairly easy to get both, although the former comes with home delivery, drive thru service, free samplers and 24/7, which are not typically provided with the later.

Nancy,

Does your ID break down as cane-artist or can-ear-tist?
This is my third attempt at replying. I don't know what the problems is.

Cane Artist

New on the medical front: Surgery has been postponed because they found some weird protein in my blood: Monoclonal gammopathy. So now I proceed with more tests. It can lead to multiple myeloma. Look it up on Google. Not a very pleasant bit of reading. I almost have several symptoms, I just didn't know what they were.
Rick,

I must be really dense. I can't figure out what you were referring to regarding alcohol and drug problems. Did I say that some where? I couldn't find it.

As for my doctor, I have SEVERAL! And now I will be seeing another one: hematologist which usually goes with oncology = "hem-onc."

My leg has already cost the insurance company $500,000. I may actually get up to the $1,000,000 cap per year after this is all over. If that happens, we're cooked.

If indeed I've progressed to multiple myeloma, the bills will be paid for by my life insurance. MM is terminal. It accounts for all my fractures, my carpal tunnel in my right hand, complete lack of deep motor reflexes in my "good" leg, my "paresthesias" like my burning feet and a host of other idiotic problems.

The "best" is yet to come......(all sarcasm intended.)
Nancy,

Not much I can say in response to that.

With buying on eBay, at least my opinion is at least as good as the next person, in that it is exactly that, an opinion.

Now I fear that the medical profession is equally prone to giving "opinions" and sometimes they are totally wrong. Having lost a dear friend through total mis-diagnosis I no longer view their opinions with quite the respect I once held them in.
i.e they could be wrong in your case!

Secondly, I have several friends that were given a "death sentence" who are now completely clear. We went out to dinner with one such on Friday, five years ago, they gave him a couple of months to live. He now lives in Cyprus and I have never seen him look so healthy!

He has also been given the "all clear" and swears it is all down to an anti-cancer complementary medicine called "Essiac" Whether this is fact or fiction I cannot tell, but he obviously believes in it and I sometimes think that if Aborigines can curl up and die when they think a spell has been cast on them, why can't the converse be equally true?

I think life is this giant lottery and I can only hope that luck is with you. You certainly are displaying a lot more courage in the face of dreadful adversity than I would.

All I, and others here, can wish you, is the "best of luck" in battling the odds you face.

Paul
Well, needless to say I'm in a bit of a denial period now. I have to see the hematologist yet to find out exactly where he thinks I am. AND, of course I'm going to get a second opinion. In fact, if it indeed needs chemotherapy, I'd rather go to the MD that treated my husband for lymphoma 13 years ago. That doctor was initially going to be a psychiatrist but something changed his mind so he went into oncology instead. The point being, he takes as long as it takes to allow his patients to ask questions, make sure they all have the facts straight, and generally "listens." That's a trait most MDs don't know the meaning of. Not to mention, he's highly qualified in his field.

I'm trying not to let my mind go crazy about this. I tend to be a rather "open" person, in case you haven't already noticed, so if I start to ramble, just tell me to shut up. I won't be offended.

Now I just sit and wait to hear from the hospital when all my appointments are arranged. I know they will be wanting to do a bone marrrow biopsy and more definitive bone scans and blood tests.

OH! A good article is on Google. Do a search on Google for "monoclonal gammopathy." The third one down, from "eMedicine" has all the details. There's a link to multiple myopathy which is quite instructive too.

Say, if I have a photo in one of my files, how do I transfer it onto one of these messages. I don't know how to find the URL for a picture that I have stuck some where on my computer. Do I have to make it a "document" first, or something?
quote:
Say, if I have a photo in one of my files, how do I transfer it onto one of these messages. I don't know how to find the URL for a picture that I have stuck some where on my computer. Do I have to make it a "document" first, or something?
Nancy,

You can’t have a photo appear directly from your computer. You have to load it onto some service, like Photobucket. Such a service will supply you with a URL. If you have a picture that you find on some site, you can right click on the picture, then click on “Properties”, then copy the URL from “Address”.

To get something like the following . . .

. . . you would post the following (no spaces allowed):
[img]http://www.auctionsniper.com/images/snipelogo.gif[/img]
"Ohhhhhhhhh..........I see," said the blind man. (Corny; I know.) I get it. The properties thing I knew about, but when I clicked on that on my computer, it didn't say much and now I see why. Just wanted to show you all this fantastic peacock cane I made for a lady. I will have to work on this.

Nance Cane Artist

"Is God willing to prevent evil but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?"

Epicurus

I've always found that quote interesting. Drives the bible thumpers crazy.
Nance
Just to add to Rick's explanation, there is also www.flickr.com which I tend to use.
I had a look at Photobucket a couple of years ago but found that it seemed only to be in use in the middle of the night (we are GMT here of course!)
The upshot of it is that for us to see an image it must be somewhere visible to us - in the public domain, as we say.
Our best wishes to you - if you want to chat to us, chat away! Smile
quote:
Uhhhhh.......define "niggle" please?

Something that is mildly irritating, like mosquitoes, haemorrhoids or tailgaters.
quote:

Just look at all the celebrities: divorce after divorce, drug and alcohol problems, trouble with the law, etc. etc. etc.

I try not to - it only encourages them. Wink
quote:

They may LOOK better than us average folks,
Not to me, they do not - I regard most of them as a lesser species. Frown
quote:

but they still have their share of difficulties to deal with.

And generally fail miserably....
quote:
Here's a way to post photos on the web without registering:-

R2
LOL! Mwah-ha-haaaaa....Chat I shall! In fact, sooner or later you're bound to tell me to shut up! Actually, I'm not busy with any other chat boards right now, so YOU lucky people get to hear all the gory details! Aren't you glad? LOL!
Big Grin
So what you're saying, is that it's better if my photos are in the public domain physically closer to you? I mean, the Internet is the Internet, no matter where you are, right?

I'll work on this. Will have to humbly ask #2 son who is in school working with computer networking how to go about this. I understand what you're saying though.

More notes to reply to I see. Then I'll tell you my schedule for this miserable week.

Nancy

"Mind the gap."
[COLOR:PURPLE][FONT SIZE=4] Well, I'm trying out some of this UBB code. It'll be interesting if it turns out the way I want it.

OK! So.......instead of a hip replacement surgery on Friday, I get to go in for a bone marrow biopsy on Thursday instead. I insisted on being put "out" because my BONE biopsies (different thing) have been absolutely excruciating. The surgeons who have worked on my bones all say the bone is rock hard and marble-like. Sometimes they even break off drill bits just trying to make the holes for screws.

On the other hand, the quality of the bone is rather fragile as well. Weird stuff, to say the least.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot to add that I have to collect my pee for 24 hours the day before. I hate doing that! Then there will be more blood work, of course. It's amazing how the MDs can ALWAYS find some test that needs more blood.

After that, I play the "waiting game." Won't meet with the hematologist until the following week to find out any results.
[/purple]

Keep your fingers crossed. Maybe SOME form of magical thinking will help. After all, religions are loaded with magical thinking and people believe that too.

That absolutely amazes me. I'm a Unitarian Universalist and we tend to be more rational than many (not all!) followers of other religions. The laws of physics dictate that certain "claims" made in the bible are in fact impossible.

Oh. Now I better tell MYSELF to shut up! Sometimes I just can't resist a good old fashion theological debate. And I don't really know where you all are on the issue.

Here's a question for you:
Is it possible to prove the existence of a god? And how would you go about doing that?

"Mind the mouth, Nancy!"
quote:
Is it possible to prove the existence of a god? And how would you go about doing that?

We are not a philosophical bunch here!

I think if you want to start a wider debate Nancy on the meaning of Liff (as Douglas Adams put it) your in the wrong

thread!

Start a new topic in the general one!

A word of warning. We have all cultures and nations here. Heated political debate is barely possible because our poiliticians (thank goodness!) are largely unknown outside the UK.

However debates on religious beliefs (or lack of them) can rouse passions that are probably best avoided. If you want a good theological debate, choose a knowledgeable person to have a quiet chat with - open debates, I find, bring in strident advocates of their own belief systems who insist that they are absolutely right!

I wish I could be so certain!

Paul
Paul,

I know you're right. I have this somewhat naive idea that a CALM, POLITE conversation on religion is possible. I was hoping those in the UK would be a little more reserved in their reactions toward one another.

In the US, whenever a "believer" runs out of things to say, bible verses are quoted ad nauseam. I was just wondering if that would be different here.

But, again, you're right. This really doesn't belong on this thread so I will end any further philosophical discussion now. BEFORE I get into trouble, this time! LOL! Thanks for the tip.

Nancy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.