Skip to main content

Reply to "Let me get this straight......"

quote:
complicated process of Sniping

It is not a complicated process in the sense of making a bid!

Basically, once I have decided that I am placing a bid, I simply click on the "Snipe it Now" link on my browser's link bar and enter an amount. (If you want to know how to set this up, just ask, as there is a vast font of knowledge amongst the regulars)

The difficult bit is the strategy!

First learn to be an expert in "Double talk" A lot of sellers indulge in this because they are general dealers nd pretend they "know nothing"
Watch what is not covered in the description and ask questions about the side not shown in the photo! This kind of "sparse description" always lowers the price, so if you run across a well described item from a known and respected seller, expect to pay top dollar.

You will probably say "I know this!"

I have just chosen this as an example of the sort of thought processes I go through when placing a snipe.

Other factors that influence my bid:
Country only auctions - always lowers value - I buy lots of "Australia Only" items - small marketplace=bargains. Thats why a good feedback record helps - I simply ask them to look at my feedback and in 99% of the cases they say "OK, you can bid"

Small/no feedback sellers - some bargains to be had if you tread carefully. You can normally sense they are first time private sellers. I generally send a probing email - their response soon tells you if they are genuine.

Wrongly categorised items - quite frequent from first time ebayers. Not so much mispelling I find, as wrong categorisation. A lot of cameras don't have badges, so they list it under the name of the lens!

Study past "completed auctions" A spreadsheet record is very useful - I do this for items I am serious about collecting.

Different countries place different values on things. German collectors prize Accord Radios highly. UK Collectors don't. The reverse happens with Hacker radios. I have bought B & O equipment largely abroad, because it fetches silly prices in the UK.

All the above will give you a guide as to where to aim. Sniping has two main advantages, your proxy bid does not get "nibbled up" and you don't get involved in a bidding war.

I think the main lesson is to study the marketplace more carefully. If you were outbid look at the reasons - many participants? Keen collector? (look at his feedback) I know now who will buy certain cameras at silly prices and if they bid beforehand, I don't!

Lots more people are sniping now, so there is always the element of the unknown. However as an informed sniper you should win most of what you bid on - look for around 80% success.

If you collect coins, then that market place is well documented and I am afraid this will work to your detriment on prices. It is the less well known markets where bargains abound!

Paul