Skip to main content

Reply to "Let me get this straight......"

WOW! The photos make it look like a charming place to live. I've always been interested in ancient history and places and things dating earlier than 1776 (US Independence Day. WHICH IS TODAY, JULY 4th as a matter of fact!)

Interestingly, there is an old Welsh community not that very far from me in Wisconsin, USA. It was a coal mining area about 175 years ago or more and looks EXACTLY like many of the pictures. Mostly now, it's an artist's community with all the old Welsh buildiings still standing as historical buildings. Some artist's have their studies in them, a large Welsh restaurant is in another, and a small area is a restored Welsh "museum" of sorts, complete with people in period costumes to lead tours. It's a wonderful place to visit. Mineral Point is the name of the town. I live in Waukesha. That's an old Native American name that means something about the natural springs we have here.

In my area, any thing built prior to 1900 is considered "old." We Americans don't have a very long history. I visited southeast England a few years ago. My brother was sent to Windsor to work with the General Electic group there. He's an engineer. You could see Windsor castle from his windows. So we did all the "touristy" things, but never went as far west as Wales. I found myself getting very fond of the little reminders: "Mind the gap." "Mind the step." "Look right." I've heard that American's frequently forget the latter and end up returning home with injuries!

I don't know that I would ever get to see Wales. I have a weird bone disorder that has caused me 60 fractures since 1992. Currently, I'm sitting here without the top half of my left femur (thigh bone). The top half died and fell off into the surgeon's hands. I'm scheduled for replacement with a titanium prosthesis in exactly 10 days! I'm not looking forward to it. One of these days the doctors are going to kill me!

Well, must mind the Snipes! Talk to you later!

Nancy