Skip to main content

Hi, I have recently won a auction where the bid was at a couple of dollars until the last 30 seconds. My snipe at $140+ was placed Mad 30 Seconds before the Auction end, and another bidder - on line I presume - was able to bid $15, $100, $120 before the end of the Auction. If my snipe had been placed at the 5 second before end time that I had specified, even if it had been done 7 or 8 seconds before the end, I would have been against a seemingly winning bid of $15, as the other bidder would have been looking at his own $15 bid right up to the last few seconds - He/Her might have been able to get a bid in before the end, but not two more. This is not what I joined Auctionsniper for.
Kind regards, Robert
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by region2:
Auction Number?
Trust me on this, Robert - don't provide the auction number. region2 will respond with something about the other sniper would have sniped anyway regardless of when your snipe was placed, or that another sniper can’t possibly respond in 30 seconds (he thinks that a minute isn’t long enough), or some other ruse to make it appear that “that’s life””, “grin ‘n bare it”, or “don’t make waves”.
Hi, here is the Number - 150296405017 - for anyone who is interested. I have continued this complaint with AuctionSniper Support, and am satisfied with their answer. I will be considering the risks next time I want to use a snipe to place my bid. Anyway, good luck to all you snipers, and I hope that all comes together so that you have a satisfactory bid.
Kind regards, Robert
The first two bids were placed simultaneously but for different amounts. And within 7 seconds of your bid. This points to them being automatically placed. The next bid followed on 18 seconds later - thus the bidder would have had to react to his bid being out bid by yours and place a bid in 18 seconds. I think this is unlikely and would probably have been an automatic bid of some kind.

What did AS support say?

R2
quote:
I think this is unlikely and would probably have been an automatic bid of some kind.
That’s the problem with these things. Even with the history, there isn’t any way to insure how the other sniper sniped. 18 seconds is enough time to respond to a snipe. The two snipes with the same time stamp would “suggest” it was some automated snipe, but then the third snipe would “suggest” it was a reactive snipe. All speculation, and guess work. One can never determine what would have happened had the snipe been placed a few or 20 seconds later or earlier. The only thing that’s certain is the snipe was before Robert’s specified lead time, assuming Robert’s statement that he used a 5-second lead time is accurate.
quote:
Almost a reasonable response from Rick - I guess the prozac dosage has been sorted out!
A pity you've gone off meds. I so wish region2 could be a little original. But, then, one must consider the stress region2 is under, what with the parole hearings and all.

R ob2us

Doubtful there's anything AS WANTS to change. They obviously decided it’s better sniping too early than too late, which can result in snipes being placed early enough for another sniper to react, but it must not happen all that much, or there would be a lot more topics on the subject and they wouldn’t be in business for very long.
Hi, it is interesting to read all of your posts. I accepted what AS Support said to me which is firstly, there are risks to using snipe software - I have previously not had a bid registered as it didn't reach ebay in time, even though AS sent it.
Secondly, they have a system of gauging the amount of traffic on the internet, and on ebay servers, and snipe early when they fell that there is a likelyhood of delay, to avoid the first situation that I mentioned, and thirdly, they apologised several times. That is good enough for me. I have previously used a software snipe on my own computer, and that was not good because of the not too good internet connection that I have - missing several crucial bids. I shall carry on using AS where I am not available at the auction end time, and on speculative bids. Important or Must Have bids, I will still use them, as in that case I always bid way too high to ensure that
I get the item. Hopefully, the problem that I have just had will only occure once in every 50 bids - the ratio up to now, and I have to take on that risk myself. Thank you all for your interest, and I wish you well in your bidding.
I just had this happen to me. I sat there helplessly watching my bid get placed over 30 secs before auction end. Two more bidders came in after mine which drove the price up for me. I won the item but at a higher price. This isn't the only time this has happened to me lately.

In this case I could have just waited until 30 secs before placing my bid manually and gotten the same result. AS didn't help but I still have to pay them. This Sucks!

Item #290262692160
Experiencing psychic static, region2? Try rebooting your tea leaves.

R conjec2rer

It really isn’t productive to ask for the auction number on these bid-too-early threads. All that EVER happens is that region2 posts something about what “might” have happened, and then I post something witty, clever, and really insightful into the meaning of sniping and of life in general (I do house calls). Better to file a support request because the support staff has more info, experience, and tools than a couple of us dowdy users. If for no other reason, they (the support staff) are a lot more nicer, definitely more professional, and replaced their tea leaves decades ago.
It appears that region2 is experiencing larger technical difficulties than first speculated. Might well be that someone planted (interesting word usage) a virus in his tea leaves. Hopefully he stores his leaves on some backup media, other than the tea cup. Perhaps he should look into a backup psychic-site or a clairvoyance collocation center. One can never have too much precognition power protection.

R car2on
My first post, sorry its a rant but I`m not a happy bunny.
This has just happened to me for the second time. Whats the point in paying to snipe more them 10 seconds before the auction end? To be fair to AS this is a new problem but still.... I dont care if the bidders that bid after me were sniping or not, i use snipe to place the bid 4 seconds before the end and thats it. I can easily place the bid myself within 5 seconds if I`m home. From what I`ve read its down to padding. Others (the bidders after me) dont seem to have padding. I wonder who they use?

OK rant over, high folks
There are DOZENS of sniping tools available (Google auction snipe software). Some are free, some are one-time purchase software programs that you run from your computer, some have a yearly fee, some have a per-snipe fee, and some have both.

AuctionSniper is the only one I've used (so I cannot comment on the others) but, based on the forums for some of the other providers, I suspect there will be "issues" with all of them. You need to decide which issues you're willing to live with:

If you use software that runs on your computer, you are at the mercy of the Internet and, if it's slow, or your computer locks up, your snipe might not get through.

If you choose a cheap/free service, and they have hardware or staffing problems, you might get what you paid for.

If reliability is most important, then you might end up paying more on occasion.

Me, I'd rather pay more than loose because most of what I bid on is one-of-a-kind.

If your goal is PURELY to win for less (we all snipe to improve our chances of winning for less) then running the software from your computer, where you have TOTAL control over when your snipe is placed (without an algorithm determining and compensating for Internet response time), might be the best solution for you.
Mad I, too, have had two auctions sent in EARLY in the last 24 hours. I don't spend as much time on eBay as I used to & I've DEPENDED on AS to do its job, rather than me having to sit in front of a computer monitor. I used my 'Snipe It Now' on my toolbar for both of them, not realizing that it was immediately placing the bid, as it had FIVE seconds lead time put in! The first one, item 310087278517, ended today, 10/3, at 10:36:16. AS sent my bid in last night at 23:02:02!! I won this auction, but that's not the point. It, too, had a FIVE second lead time! The second, which I lost, was Item 2902636604978, ending today, 10/3, at 10:49:05 PM. AS sent my bid in at 10:48:25...again with a five second lead time, again using the toolbar link. The winning bid was sent in (which was $1 higher than mine) at 10:48:46. That time was after mine, she had time to 'see' what my bid was an outbid me by a $1!!! Don't tell me 17 seconds is not enough time to get a bid in, I've done it before. I'm just about to loose all faith in AS. Any ideas?
and puhleeze note, I'm not trying to be rude, but....I don't care what kind of drugs you are on or tea leaves you read...that's not what I'm here for! I want ANSWERS! WHY has AS gone to Mad in a hand basket all of a sudden? Should I file a complaint with them? Thanks so much!
MaryEllen
Hello Community,

Thank you all for your input and being loyal to Auction Sniper.

I realize this is long overdue, but I didn't want to make an announcement before a time schedule was in place.

We are currently working on the completion and implementation of an enhancement that will address all the lead time inconveniences!

Soon you will not have to worry about lead times, even during eBay's peak bidding hours.

We had a data base programming error that accounts for the extremely early bids over the last 24 hours, and though that was truly an isolated incident, we will be addressing all lead time concerns in the next few weeks.

Thank you for your patience and your continuing support of Auction Sniper!

Steve
Auction Sniper Product Manager
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper Steve:
Hello Community,

Thank you all for your input and being loyal to Auction Sniper.

I realize this is long overdue, but I didn't want to make an announcement before a time schedule was in place.

We are currently working on the completion and implementation of an enhancement that will address all the lead time inconveniences!

Soon you will not have to worry about lead times, even during eBay's peak bidding hours.

We had a data base programming error that accounts for the extremely early bids over the last 24 hours, and though that was truly an isolated incident, we will be addressing all lead time concerns in the next few weeks.

Thank you for your patience and your continuing support of Auction Sniper!

Steve

Well, thanks so much, Steve! I'm sure that my daughter-in-law will understand when I tell her Auction Sniper had 'puter problems' & she didn't get her bake set that is completely sold out everywhere else in the world but eBay & I'd bid an outrageous amount for it never for a moment believing some OTHER idiot would be able to see my 'TOP' bid and TOP it in the last SEVENTEEN SECONDS!!!!!! It would have been NICE if we could have been given a 'heads up' that YOU were having problems & for us NOT TO BID... Would you like to give me your phone number so she can call & yell at YOU instead of me??? I didn't think so!
Again, a heads up would be NICE! Uh....why not do like other REPUTABLE websites so...post a 'we are updating' or 'we are upgrading/temporarily unavailable' until you get it thing straightened out...but then it's all about the $$$ isn't it?
We all understand having problems....don't you think the 'stand up' thing to do would have been let someone know???
Yes, I'm a tad upset. Thanks for your time!
MaryEllen
Thank You Mary Ellen,

Please understand that if I had any forewarning that a problem was going to occur, I would have made sure Auction Sniper customers were made aware.

The scheduled replacement would not have affected any of our customers, it was the failure of equipment that did.

As for the bids that were placed several hours early, this was an isolated incident of programmer error, and once again could not have been foreseen.

I understand these last couple of days have been frustrating for many of us, but I can assure you that I am doing everything in my power to correct the mistakes as quickly as possible, and to make sure that they do not happen again.

We are committed to providing excellent customer service and take it very seriously when we fall short on that promise.

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you.

Steve
Hello Mary Ellen,

Thank you for your understanding. I understand your mistrust but would invite you to read this post.

As for easing your burden, you are welcome to send me a message with a phone number that I can call, and take any verbal assault I have coming.

Thanks for being part of the Auction Sniper Community, we do value you and hope to keep you with us.

Respectfully,

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by maryellen903:
Guess what, Steve??? AS did it again!!! Sent my bid in too early.....EIGHT and Half Seconds & I had it at FOUR seconds....
What is your JUSTIFATION now????
Yes, I lost the auction!

Stick a fork in me....I'M DONE!

Just tell me how to close my AS account!

MaryEllen
So you lost 'cos your snipe went in 4 seconds early? If you believe that then you know very little about how AS and ebay works. What Steve tried to say was that it's not the last bid that wins but the highest - you were outbid!

R2
Madamhusker,

Thank you for your question. I see that your maximum bid for the item you lost was lower than the winning bidder's maximum. This is known as being outbid.

So no matter when your bid was placed, you would have lost the auction because someone else bid higher than your maximum amount.

From looking at the auction I'm sure that you were out bid by someone who was also sniping, but had placed a higher maximum bid than you.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Steve
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick:
quote:
EIGHT and Half Seconds
"Half Seconds"?

Oh, thanks, Rick, for pointing out I'd made a TYPO!!! Please see the corrected message above!
Glad you have time to proofread for us! It should have read "Eight and half MINUTES"!!!
Thanks again! Big Grin
MaryEllen
quote:
Originally posted by Chatter:
Wow
quote:
categorically knows
quote:
must have telepathically known the high bidder's full amount.
quote:
And they are BOTH
quote:
such incredible coincidences

Such drama!
quote:
Wow, one woman gets bids posted in half-second increments, and another categorically knows that she "would have won"--must have telepathically known the high bidder's full amount. And they are BOTH newbies, too--such incredible coincidences we have here this week, such drama...

Chatter, exactly what is your POINT??? Are you trying to tell us that YOU were never a NEWBIE???? Oh, I get it...you just magically appeared with over 1200 posts here one day, right? Kind of like the immaculate conception, eh? Puhleeze.
Just because I've never posted in the forum doesn't mean I am a 'newbie' to AS. I've never had a problem that needed addressing before last week.
Such diety has no room in a forum that is here to help solve issues, SWEETHEART!
I've just reviewed some of your other 'comments' and it appears that you are one of those people that have to try & make other people feel 'less than' in order for you to remain on your apostolitic throne. Well, get down off the cross, Honey, because God knows they need the wood!
At least Steve is nice enough to respond directly to the questions being asked without all this analytic BS/tea leaves/prozac taking/name calling plethora of messages that are being posted in response to honest problems/questions!
I can just hear a cacophony of keystrokes in response...please don't waste any more of your valuable time trying to insult anyone else. You'd think by the responses to your other (ho hum) comments, you'd realize no one is giving any value to your insulant comments. Strictly speaking for myself, I know I won't be wasting anymore of my valuable time responding to you.
It becomes quickly apparent WHO has answers on this forum & who is just here to harass others.
I do take some comfort in the fact that others have had similar problems this week & last. At least Steve was nice enough to give a clear, concise answer and remain polite about it.
To the remark about 'drama'...we each assign our own value of alarm to the situations in our lives. It is how we REACT or RESPOND by which people judge us. Something you would know all too well about, it seems.
As for you, Chatter, I'll say a prayer for you: May you get exactly what you deserve in this life because what goes around comes around!
Have a blessed evening!
MaryEllen
aka: A NEWBIE & PROUD OF IT!
Last edited by maryellen903
quote:
I wonder if it was when Maintenance is going on - they send it in 1st before shutting down...

R2

R2,
If you are referring to my 'problem' last week, it was NOT when maintenance was going on. Steve said they had a major problem & it had happened to several people.
Steve said they were working on the problem/had updated the equipment (which was already scheduled to be upgraded...just happened to coincide with the problems of snipes being sent in as soon as you sent the snipe/extra padding, etc, or something to that nature.
Thanks so much & have a great evening!
MaryEllen

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.