Skip to main content

I've been a member of this site for some time now, but have not used it lately since I have not purchased much on the eBay site recently.

Yesterday I used it to bid on an item----I seem to remember that the user can adjust the lead time from 3 minutes to 2 minutes---I tried to do so yesterday, and it re-adjusted to 3 minutes.

I just added a snipe which will end in a couple of hours----again, cannot adjust lead time.

Am I just imagining that it could be adjusted in the past?

Many thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by region2:
donkey
A, or THE, reason for sniping is to prevent others from reacting to your bid, and the later the snipe, the less chance of someone reacting. You (region2) often say it’s the highest bid that wins, which is (obviously) true enough, and you (region2) often recommend, and use, an 8-second lead time, but the curious thing, is that you (region2) have often posted on this forum that no one can react to a snipe within 30 seconds, as you (region2) have also stated on this forum that it can’t be done, or is almost impossible, in 34, 39, 40 and even 50 seconds. Then why do you (region2) use an 8-second lead time? Wouldn’t you (region2) be just as safe if you (region2) used 30 or 34 or 39 or 40 or even 50 seconds? And, with the earlier snipe, you (region2) would have the additional edge of winning a later sniper’s tying bid.
quote:
I like 8 secs 'cos it annoys non snipers and 8 secs is the ideal lead tome to avoid arriving too late.
Seeing that AS supports a 3-second lead time and that it has been a long time since someone reported a “not-it-time”, a 3-second lead time would satisfy the “avoid arriving too late” part, and would be even MORE annoying to non snipers. Your (region2) logic, if I can call it that, doesn’t logic.

Care to try again?
quote:
So, not content with your first response, you re-read my posting and found a simple typo and felt the need to point it out.
Annoying isn’t it. Perhaps you’ll stop doing it to others?

quote:
Get over it!
Feeling a little hostile?

quote:
ps. I use 8 secs - it works for me - end of!
8 seconds isn’t some optimal lead time. It was arrived at, by the forum members, some 6 years ago, when there were lots of problems with not-in-times. Additionally, during prime time it was the standard to recommend 12 to 15 seconds. In the last couple of years AS has improved the service and 3 seconds is as good as 6, 8, 12 or whatever. So, why tell someone that uses 3 seconds they should use 8? Your recommendation is obsolete. Time to update your thinking. AND, since you don’t think anyone can react to a snipe within 50 seconds, you shouldn’t have any problem using a 50-second lead time. Or, is it possible you were wrong on the 50 second thing, like you are on the 8 second thing?

Remember, as you like to often post, It’s not the last bid that wins but the highest. So, don’t you think it’s time for you to be more consistent?
Seeing that we (region2 and Rick) are discussing region2’s mistaken array of beliefs/suggestions that he imprinted on 6 years ago, but due to improvements by AS have become obsolete, here’s another one posted in a different thread by region2 today:

quote:
Top Tip 1. Never use a sniping service for must-haves.
This advice is also based on the dated defense against not-in-times. Now, a must-have probably has an element of rarity to it. After all, if it’s something that is auctioned on ebay on a daily bases, it might be a must-have, but how vital is it that one must have it today instead of tomorrow? There are some (few) cases where a must-have might not be rare, but these mostly like fall in “that rarely occurs”.

Now, region2, see if you can follow this, as I know you came to a different conclusion/belief/myth 6 years ago, and for you to rethink something, or to change your conclusion/belief/myth is a new experience for you. The rarity of an item would “tend” (not always) to place more demand on the item. The greater the demand, the greater the bidding and the greater the chance of bidding wars and nibblers. To avoid this, it is even MORE important to snipe the auction instead of using a proxy bid. Yes, there is a chance of power failures, ebay crashes, server problems, et al, but with the improvements in the Internet, ebay, AS, communications, et al, these issues are more rare than a rare auction on ebay. But, there’s a very real chance that by placing a proxy bid on a “rare” auction instead of sniping it, one will either be out bided or up bided. The benefits of sniping even a must-have far outweigh the risk.

Did you follow all that, region2? Spend some time thinking about it, instead of your usually off-the-hip response. Don’t you think it’s time you updated your Chatty-Cathy cliche-responses?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.