Skip to main content

To the citizens of the United States of America:

In light of your failure to elect a competent President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves,
we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately.
Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (excepting Kansas, which she does not fancy).
Your new prime minister, Tony Blair, will appoint a governor for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.
To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect: You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up "aluminium," and check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'favour' and 'neighbour.' Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters, and the suffix "ize" will be replaced by the suffix "ise." Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. (look up "vocabulary"). Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication.
There is no such thing as "US English." We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The
Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter 'u' and the elimination of "-ize." You will relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen."
July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday. November 2nd will be a new national holiday, but to be celebrated only in England. It will be called "Come-Uppance Day." You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not adult enough to be independent. Guns should only be handled by adults. If you're not adult enough to sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist then you're not grown up enough to handle a gun.
Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.
All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and this is for your own good. When we
show you German cars, you will understand what we mean. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour. The Former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling "gasoline")-roughly $6/US gallon. Get used to it.
You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips, and
those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called "crisps." Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with vinegar. The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as "beer," and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as "Lager."
American brands will be referred to as "Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine," so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.
Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters. Watching Andie MacDowell attempt English dialogue in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" was an experience akin to having one's ears removed with a cheese grater.
You will cease playing American "football." There is only one kind of proper football; you call it "soccer." Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American "football," but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies). Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the "World Series" for a game which is not played outside
of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. You must tell us who killed JFK. It has been driving us mad.
An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's Government will be with you
shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1776).
Thank you for your co-operation.

R2
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The vegetable peeler ban is going to be a tough one (trust me). The States has a very strong peeler lobby called the National Peeler Association (NPA). They’ll insist that even a Samurai sword is still necessary for peeler enthusiasts/hobbyists and will prevent any peeler registration, or even a peeler database.

Fully support the German car (trust me) amendment, but that might impact Saab sells.

On the Hollywood scene, looks like Hugh Grant and Anthony Hopkins are going to be very busy fellows.

P.S. The Kansas exemption is a good idea (trust me). [Silly Winking Graemlin]
quote:
We get this from the only country on earth where someone dressed as a comic book super hero has ever tried to break into Parliament
Three guys got into Parliament dressed as tradesmen - the superhero 'thing' was Fathers-for-Justice breaking into Buckingham Palace and the entrance to Downing Street as well as Tower Bridge etc. more >>>

R2 [who hates cricket and football]
Democracy is buying a big house you can't afford with money you don't have, to impress people you wish were dead. And, unlike communism, democracy does not mean having just one ineffective political party; it means having two ineffective political parties.....Democracy is welcoming people from other lands, and giving them something to hold onto -- usually a mop or a leaf blower. It means that with proper timing and scrupulous bookkeeping, anyone can die owing the government a huge amount of money.....And finally, democracy is the eagle on the back of a dollar bill, with 13 arrows in one claw, 13 leaves on a branch in the other, 13 tail feathers, and 13 stars over its head -- this signifies that when the white man came to this country, it was bad luck for the Indians, bad luck for the trees, bad luck for the wildlife, and lights out for the American eagle. – Johnny Carson
The Brits may gripe about us, but they need us more than they realize. Let’s face it, any place that puts vinegar on fries and comes up with shrimp (“prawn”) flavored potato chips needs our help.

Take fox hunting for example. In Britain, it takes whole pack of people to hunt one little fox. They dress up in strange looking uniforms to go after the animal. Maybe they’re trying to amuse it?? Then they spend all day chasing after the thing with a pack of hounds and come home empty handed. Any good old boy in the United States can go out shooting and come home with plenty of foxes and probably a squirrel or two thrown in, with or without his hound dog. He doesn’t even need a fancy coat. Maybe we should send a few of our good old boys over there to show them how it’s done, if it’s still legal.

Then there are the cars. They actually have a model of car with only three wheels over there. I don’t remember what they’re called, but this is no joke. You won’t catch an American driving around in a three-wheeled car unless one of his wheels has just fallen off.

We don’t use our mallets for pounding balls in some game named after a bug. We use them for fixing things.

We don’t need a monarchy. We have soap operas on TV. And what’s taking so long with the Harry Potter books??? Razz
I posted the original to celebrate the differences, not to cause hurt feelings. It is amazing how different we are, despite speaking the same (nearly!) language. With the world getting smaller these differences are going to be more noticeable but then we'll all adjust to become one big nation... won't we?

Want to try prawn-cocktail crisps? (shrimp chips?) Try this website - delivers world-wide! [_BRITSTORE_].

Robin Reliant 3 wheelers get bad press here too - so much so that they are immortalised in Only Fools and Horses:

R2
Actually Dave, the Isetta was a BMW, Heinkel and Messerschmidt also built tri-wheelers post-war.

Pre-war Britain had the Morgan 3-wheeler and quite a few post-war types - including the successful Scammell Scarab lorry based on the pre-war Mechanical Horse.

Italy's Vespa got involved too, and Japan had lots of 3's; Mazda, Daihatsu, etc. cut their automotive teeth on small 3-wheeler delivery vans.

GG
They can wind up on their sides Jabber, have you ever watched Mr. Bean? One wheel in front does make a lot of sense in terms of manouevrability however. Scarabs could be adapted as tow-trucks and were particularly useful in narrow confines (such as tunnels) for their ability to turn in almost their own length.

An oft-unrealised problem for tri-wheelers is when driving in heavy snow. Four-wheelers can follow the previous car's tracks and avoid getting stuck; but when your 3rd wheel is in the middle.....! Similar problems arise on unmade tracks.

GG
Joining rather late (as usual) in the discussion about Reliants (known popularly as Plastic Pigs)

Believe me, there is a US connection! The engine that powered these was derived from the Austin engine that was also used to power the pre-war Pennsylvanian Bantam.
!Web Site devoted to the Bantam).

They enjoy a fanatic devotion from owners.
Just been to a Wedding where two were used to bring the Groom, best man & about five others (all crammed in the back!) to the Church. I had to follow these and was amazed at the way they climbed hills!

Their main fault was a tendency to catch fire. Another friend related how her husband smelt burning, stopped the car, calmly got her and the children out and they all stood by the roadside and watched it burn to a frazzle!
quote:
Originally posted by Camera Collector:
Joining rather late (as usual) in the discussion about Reliants (known popularly as Plastic Pigs)

Believe me, there is a US connection! The engine that powered these was derived from the Austin engine that was also used to power the pre-war Pennsylvanian Bantam.
!Web Site devoted to the Bantam).

Even later! The Austin Seven was also used under licence as the first BMW car (the Dixi) and was copied by messrs Den, Aoyama and Takahichi (sp?) that became DATsun.
When the Seven ceased to be made in 1939, the Reliant copied many of the ideas from the engine and used it up to the 1960s.
quote:
Originally posted by Falcon Gal:
Let’s face it, any place that puts vinegar on fries and comes up with shrimp (“prawn”) flavored potato chips needs our help.

The Dutch put mayonnaise on chips (US fries)
As for crisps (US chips) they are loaded with all sorts of nasties, so one Brit does not eat them!
quote:

Take fox hunting for example. In Britain, it takes whole pack of people to hunt one little fox. They dress up in strange looking uniforms to go after the animal. Maybe they’re trying to amuse it?? Then they spend all day chasing after the thing with a pack of hounds and come home empty handed. Any good old boy in the United States can go out shooting and come home with plenty of foxes and probably a squirrel or two thrown in, with or without his hound dog. He doesn’t even need a fancy coat. Maybe we should send a few of our good old boys over there to show them how it’s done, if it’s still legal.

Thankfully, it is illegal. As should be any killing of any sort, except maybe for food.
quote:

Then there are the cars. They actually have a model of car with only three wheels over there. I don’t remember what they’re called, but this is no joke. You won’t catch an American driving around in a three-wheeled car unless one of his wheels has just fallen off.

My Citroen DS (4 wheels) will quite happily run with a back wheel removed, as President DeGaulle found when both tyres were shot at an assassination attempt.

quote:

We don’t use our mallets for pounding balls in some game named after a bug. We use them for fixing things.

I don't either - I don't do balls Smile Use mallets for tent pegs sometimes.
quote:

We don’t need a monarchy. We have soap operas on TV. And what’s taking so long with the Harry Potter books??? Razz

I don't think we need one either! Soaps? No-one in their right mind actually watches them!
Up until a couple of years ago I felt the same way Mike, even though we do have a couple of nasties here (redbacks and white-tails). Then one of the latter bit me on the hand and left me with a serious infection and a pus-filled swelling literally the size of an egg - no more Mr. Nice-Guy!

I no longer tolerate them in the house the way I used to (even Huntsmen), and especially not in the car.

GG

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.