Skip to main content

This is my first post to this forum so I apologize if this question has been discussed. Can anyone tell me if the seller knows you have sniped an item? Several times I have sniped an item, several dollars over the current bid. Within minutes, another buyer outbids me. It's as if the seller could see my snipe and notifies another buyer. Am I paranoid?
ElisaLoraine
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

No, they cannot see your snipe.It is not in fact, sent to eBay until near the time you have set in the last few seconds.

Question, what do you mean by "within minutes"? Do you mean your snipe is set up for several minutes before the auction ends or do you mean the bid is all of a sudden bid higher than you set your snipe? I assume the latter. At any rate, no they cannot see your snipe. But, the highest bidder does win!
quote:
Why would I set it to 8, when I'm getting blown out at 4?
Hi Elisa,

Please define “blown out”. Do you mean that you think the extra 4 seconds that R2 recommends will give someone enough time to see your snipe and respond to it with a higher snipe, or do you mean that your current 4 seconds gives someone enough time to see your snipe and respond to it with a higher snipe, or do you mean that someone is bidding more then you are? Maybe there's a fourth definition, but I can come up with it.

quote:
Originally posted by ElisaLoraine:
Looks like I am just paranoid.
quote:
Originally posted by ElisaLoraine:
Paranoia?
I am figuring this out myself. I think people have an Ebay Proxy Bid entered that is higher than the current price but maybe lower than you ultimate price... that sucks because you loose for an amount you were willing to pay for it. That is the whole issue I have as well... In that case Proxy bidding in the last minute with a backup snipe is a better way I guess.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.