Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Some of my best ones are:

"I know nothing about cameras"
Roughly translated, I know this one doesn't work, but if I say so, I'll get nothing for it!

"In mint condition"
My mint is your rough, but tough, I'm not an expert!

Rare
Actually quite common, but I think its rare and another fool will be along in a minute!
(eg last week I was amazed to find a 1939 Camera Dealers Catalogue fetched £23, since I acquired the same catalogue the next day for £3!)

Collectors Condition
Really quite awful, but you collectors will buy almost anything.

I could go on............
Afternoon all. Hope your day is going alot better than mine Eek I got my dr. bills from surgery and two weeks in the hospital, and the bill from the water clean-up people. YIKES!!! Frown Frown I knew I shouldn't have mentioned "it" last night. I think I'll email some of those sellers of "posessed" stuff and see if they want it. Heh, what do I say? "It will cause you great health problems and other major expenses every time you look at or talk of it????" Confused Wink

The best things in life are furry....and flowers!
Last edited {1}
True Mrs.M Smile
AND....If I can get him to stick around the house long enough to work on my poor nearly drowned computer it will be better too. Wink I plugged it in and it's not totally dead. Hey wait!!! I think it's possessed or haunted or something!!! I better just list it as is and get a new one!!!! LOL

The best things in life are furry....and flowers!
...Lexie's post
quote:
Puppy - did you find that via search?
the seller wanted to show up in the search results for people searching for all those brands that his item is NOT! A rather clever, though transparent strategy! Wink Don't know if it buys him anything or if it just peeves people like you were! Razz

Jabbergah                                                  
Jabber - thats what I was getting at. Its ****s me to no end when they put things like that in the title OR things like "As good as SONY" in the description....so you still get a hit when searching.

I need to get a new camera Frown our Sony had a little accident (ok, ok - I dropped it) and it has an error now. Hubbie pulled it apart yesterday and got it working (phew) but I will be looking for a new one. I am gonna hold out and buy a Digi Camcorder while we are over in the States.

I think I will need a digi cam pretty quickly though.

Lexie
I came across a new variant (to me) last week

A completely different name popped up in one of my regular searches - usually this is because of a mention in the text that they are selling a collection of x y & z.

I couldn't find the brand name anywhere in the text so I did a "view source", as my curiosity was aroused.

Answer: <Font color="white">Huge list of competing names</font> tacked on to the end of the normal descriptiont

Quite clever really - invisible, so it isn't so annoyingly obvious.

Now don't you all rush out and adopt it, or our Ebay searches will be stuffed full with the equivalent of Spam!
I always search Australian ebay - it's the cheapest venue for all sorts of electronic goods and other things (all secondhand I must admit).

Bought in Australia these last few months:
Port replicator for my Tecra Notebook - 1/2 US Price 1/3 GB price
B & O Amplifier/Tuner 1/2 prevailing world price
Kastrup Holmegaard Wine & Spirit glasses 1/3 world price

Need I go on .....

Shop locally!
Well Mrs M, I'm based in the UK and most ebay sellers quote sky high postage costs because they assume we all want our goods tomorrow!

I have discovered the clipper route round Cape Horn! (Well it seems like that) On the whole surface mail takes 4-5 weeks from the US and about 6 weeks from Australia. To save money, I'll wait!

In terms of costs I always try and get US sellers split things up so they are under 4lbs and then they can go letter rate - most of my imports from the States cost between $6 - $11 which is almost as cheap as domestic - its just that the US sellers don't know the USPS surface letter rates.

Most other countries have similar bargains. The trick here is to always download the national rates (usually pdf format) off their Postal services web site. Check the country code, many sellers get that wrong and pay higher than necessary postage. Most importantly check the "break points" The other day I bought three cameras and told the seller just to ship the one I was interested in - he was obviously delighted!
At other times I've told them to ship it in two parcels - most do if yoou ask nicely and say you'll pay packing costs.

A bargains not a bargain if the postage costs more than the item!
I do send letter rate if possible, not only by weight, size too. An item I send here in the US for 5.75 to California from Florida, for example is 5.75..to Australia or the UK is $12.00.

Lexie told me that everything in Australia is vert expensive. A car that sells here for example, for 25,000 might sell there for twice that! I'm sure she will enlighten us when she awakes, but I assume this is why she is buying the camera here. They are not too expensive in the discount stores here.
As to sending via "slow boat", I have only done that once. I sent some scooter parts to Scotland and the guy was not happy! Most(you are an exception) want it yesterday!
Last edited {1}
...information from CamCol!
quote:
I have discovered the clipper route round Cape Horn! (Well it seems like that) On the whole surface mail takes 4-5 weeks from the US and about 6 weeks from Australia. To save money, I'll wait!

Over a MONTH?!? Eek I'd FORGET that I bought the thing in that time & end up buying another!! Eek Even worse, I'll be off collecting & buying something totally different by the time it gets to me! Roll Eyes I'll pay a little extra for faster shipping.

It actually is remarkable how LITTLE money (in absolute terms) is required to transform shipping time from weeks to days. I find most buyers opt to pay the little extra for quicker shipping.

Point of clarification for CamCol: If I'm shipping a 5 lb package and able to divide -- would it be cheaper to send two 2.5 lb packages vs. one 5 lb package? Is it the same situation whether I ship via the "slow boat" or the cheapest air? Thanks!

Jabbergah                                                  
Good Morning Friends It's 11 in the Morning in Upper NY State and Snowing It's little Butt off. It was 11 years ago today in 93 we had the Record Blizzard of all time. I had 3 ft before lunch and seven feet of snow by dinner. We won't get it today.
They did cancel school though as the bus drivers can't see to even get to work. Dumb luck I forgot to buy gas for the Snowblower and was feeling so smug that I had purchased groceries for the weekend and was all set for the blizzard of 2004. I hate siphoning from the car - always get it in my mouth. Oh Happy Day - wish I had a fireplace for days like this.... mory
I was chatting one night and said how much I liked Dr Pepper - couldn't figure out the flavor but thought it great.. I guy came on from California and said his company made the liquor that was in Dr Pepper and it was extracted from Sweet Cooked Fresh Prunes in Californa. Its just a trace natural fruit flavor. More useless information of mine. They then sell whats left after the pulp ia dried as a dairy feed suplement.
I too have been promoted in status today from the kindergarten to the junior sniping class.

However, I think there is need for reform of the rating system. After all, there has been no "quality" hurdle for me to pass for this elevation in status!

I suggest in future, that each new title/grade should only be given if the candidate passes a rigorous examination based on his/her knowledge of ebay & auction sniper, plus evidence of sound practical work.

Each board posting must be marked for relevance, depth of knowledge displayed and length. Those postings that are classed as social "chit chat" will not count towards the next "pip" up the ladder.

OK, OK only joking - I think!

However Lexie did start with: "Bout time we had a new morning thread"

So, if displayed expertise was the criterion for promotion, who do you think would win promotion to the higher ranks?
I use the following calculator because you can keep it open whilst you browse ebay: >>XE Currency Converter<<

All USPS Rates are here: >>
USPS International Postage Rates & Fees<<

All German Rates are here on the worlds worst designed web site (bar none - 8 levels of navigation to get here!):>>
Parcels up to 2 kilos<<

UK rates are divided up between the Royal Mail - (on the worlds slowest web site!)
Small packets only
and ParcelForce >>Tariff Download Centre<<

Hope this helps
...that lived on the Gulf (but further north, I forget where) and used to go out on the beach at sunset and "put the sun to bed" while smoking his one cigarette of the day. When we would visit, I would join him (minus cigarette) and enjoy those sunsets. When he moved back here to the east coast, he really missed them. Frown

Dave

"The waist is a terrible thing to mind."

Dave, they are offshore here most evenings. Tourist love going out on a pier, about a mile or so north of my home, in the evening to watch them. I have never noticed them except as the sun goes down! Guess they come out to play before bedtime! LOL! Don't know about farther north in the State, but we are very blessed to be able to view them. Such beautiful animals!

in coin buying heres the one that gets me:

Im not a collector (take advantage of me) but to me I grade this coin as M65 (very rare fine condition) look at the picture and grade for yourself: meaning Ive priced the coin just past what its worth and added a s/h of $10 when it will only cost me $.85 to ship it, giving me more profit, so you fools bid it up. Mad Cool

happy sniping
I'd just like to register my envy Razz for everyone here who has snow and/or negative temperatures. Here spring has arrived, and true to form we had the most dreadful sandstorm.

I came back yesterday to eight filthy, sandblasted dogs (and two clean, smug old-timers who had spent the day indoors on the sofa).

I had stupidly left the back door open so that the old two didn't have to make the effort to go through the dog flap and there was a inch of sand on the kitchen floor. That took some clearing up, I can tell you!

SS

"Run, Squeaky, Run!"
Good Morning everyone it's a blustery 41 already in upstate NY and today they promise a heat wave of possibly 59. So more snow will melt and get some black Ice off the ground. Had to walk on the highway to get to the mailbox but at least I got the Saturday
Mail. Really enjoyed the Coffee & Eggs here and the nice chuckle it enabled. Thank's - That's a great start for a new day. mory

Accomplishment Is 90% Getting Started
JAKE, You been saving that? Terrific!

Mrs M: Love the Frog - I don't test - just cannon ball in the deep end and lower the Y pool a foot. Wish I could go today but the Y is regretably always closed on Sunday.
They really need to get with the times - families need the Y on Sunday as well as a place for kids to go off the street all winter. We bulldozed our Old Y 18 months ago and just reopened the new one. It was ordered closed as was not handicapped accessible. It took five years to raise the money but more than worth it. I go early in the morning & have a private club.

Accomplishment Is 90% Getting Started
quote:
Spent most of yesterday trying to get decent pictures, and last night getting some auctions ready to go. Items REALLY hard to get a good picture of, but finally got some I'm happy with.

If the objects are small, the main problems are reflections off the object and the lighting creating shadows that obscure parts of it.

I cannot say I have cured all the reflection problems, but many objects are shown better if they are illuminated from underneath. The logical thing to use is a slide sorter, but they tend to be rather expensive. After fiddling with sheets of frosted plastic and lighting underneath I gave up and bought a large secondhand slide sorter on ebay for about £30. It has transformed the look of almost everything I photograph and is well worth the expenditure.

A friend suggested that a good alternative would be those illuminators that Hospitals look at Xrays on, but I have never come across one of those.

The other tip is for for shiny objects. The best advice I can glean here is to build a tent and put the illumination outside. Funnily enough a 1943 Amateur Photographer magazines I bought last week gives instructions for such a tent, starting with "use an old lampshade frame - fix wire coathangers to it so that is high enough off your table top, then drape it all with white muslin" This seems worth a try - it should also be comparatively cheap!
Reflections, reflections, reflections!

You need a tent - honest!

Secondly what is that gold coloured thing it is resting on? If it is not part of the packaging, then use a white sheet of card to place the coin containers on - at least it gets rid of one of the distractions.

Sometimes these photos just need to be worked on.
I use Paint Shop Pro (about $70) which is excellent for every purpose (and easy to work with) except one. That "gap" can only solved by the aquisition of Photoshop (expensive!) It gives you a command that literally enables you to cut out an object from its background.

Lacking the necessary $400, I decided that better backgrounds were a)quicker in the long run and b)much cheaper! So I went to an art shop and bought myself a Winsor Canvas Board 30" X 20". Its a lot tougher than card or paper, can be cleaned easily, and is big enough (if I angle the camera right) to hide all sorts of wallpaper and furniture if I sneak things onto the dining table whilst my wife is out!

Sudden thought! Is it your flash thats causing the lighting highlights on these coins? In that event, buy yourself a cheap tripod and set the camera to the "no flash option"

If illuminating things with light gives a yellow cast, buy a couple of those blue bulbs they sell in sewing shops.
quote:
I use Paint Shop Pro (about $70) which is excellent for every purpose (and easy to work with) except one. That "gap" can only solved by the aquisition of Photoshop (expensive!) It gives you a command that literally enables you to cut out an object from its background.

I got full verions of both on demo disks. You can always *find* programs like that for zilch on the net anyways - IF you are that way inclined.

Lexie
Hi camera
quote:
Secondly what is that gold coloured thing it is resting on?
It's a jig made out of fiber board so I could get them in exactly the same position and angle each time. Yea, you're right... should have used a piece of off white or black felt behind them or painted it. To late now, I'm not going through all that again. Took pictures of 45 coins front and back.
quote:
I use Paint Shop Pro
I use Micrografx Picture Publisher. Used it to turn the blue down and the contrast up a tad.
quote:
Sudden thought! Is it your flash thats causing the lighting highlights
Yes, but I want them. Big Grin along with the holographic logo. In fact it took me a while to figure out my problem was NOT using a flash. Without it they look dull and lose a lot of depth.

Pictures were taken outside with a tripod on a very cloudy day. I did use a tent (of sorts) so there is no reflection of the tripod on the plastic holders. Coins were positioned about 10 feet away and parallel to the lens face, and then tilted about 5 degrees toward it. Highlights are from a flash about 4 inches above the camera lens. I got lucky, as that produced the angle needed to see the hologram.

Last edited {1}
Beg or borrow a "Ringflash" and see if that is an improvement. They are quite expensive, so I wouldn't buy one without experimenting first.

Still not certain if flash is the right thing. I would have thought you would have got better control on this by using a couple of static lamps (of the anglepoise variety) so that you can get better control. Perhaps try a set of extension tubes if you are using a conventional reflex rather than a fixed lens digital.

I would go for fixed lights, no flash, small aperture and long exposure on a tripod to give you the control and depth of field you require.
Good Morning.

On having a re-think, I have come to two conclusions:

a. You are confusing lighting the object with highlighting it

b. If you are doing this on a regular basis, you really need a jig not just for the object, but for the whole set up. Like a scientific experiment you need replicate the thing time after time!

Dealing with the second point first, I would get a sheet of ply/blockboard and mark/bolt the exact position of your jig upon it. Then get two spotlights of the flexi variety (I managed to buy two extremely cheaply in a colour that nobody else wanted for about $10!) Fit blue bulbs to them if colour cast is a problem. As an aside though my digital has a means of setting "true white" with artificial illumination, I find it a fiddle to do this each time I want to take a photo!

Find a position that illuminates your coins evenly without causing undue reflections. Bolt them to the board. This may involve a tent, or if you don't want to do this, a diffuser of some type in front of the bulbs - leave a gap for ventilation!

Paint the jig background black. That will help get the auto exposure right as these auto only digitals are easily confused by white - as I have found to my cost (I must really buy a digital reflex to get the control I want, but they are still far, far too expensive!)

I agree with you about getting up close - I normally stand back and use a f2 85mm on my FE2 as the ideal combination as I can then control depth of field and confine focus to an exact plane. My digital is a lot less controllable and decides what aperture it needs!

I would then set up one or two "catchlights" to give the desired reflections in the exact places (illuminating the Hologram?) you require. If you are using flash, hand held (I am guessing here) that this is what you are doing, you will never be consistent. I think you can now get some ornamental pencil beam type lights that will do - alternatively, one of those small focussing torches.

I think that's my final say (thank goodness says all the very bored onlookers!) and I hope some of my suggestions might have been a help
Last edited {1}

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.