Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

MG: very nice that Derek went back to his school - it puts a face on the war for the children that is not all death and killing.

Please Thank Him for this noble task. It will be a comfort to him - as return to the zone - is unbearable by any standard.

How very proud you must be - and rightly so.

As the years keep coming and going
Young men will arise and depart
Only one thing is surely imortal
The love that is in your heart....

We will all pray for his safe return home..

mory

Accomplishment Is 90% Getting Started
Last edited {1}
Yes I lost 4 as did not eat before the weigh -in. So was able to start my testing.
It was a very stress filled day - the Van Driver lost the Gas card so had to advance money to get us home. So he was grumpy.
The nurse was grumpy. Then I got home and my furnace died (the fuel pump died) I only had it 11 years they are suppose to run for 30 yrs. ( they just don't make them like they used to) so I know when to quite - I turned on the electric blanket and slept 11 hours so you know how tired I was. Today I hired a friend to fix the
furnace and I made a couple trays of Lasagna and French Bread. Now I'm done
for the day. It's cool about 40 but the furnace will be running by dinner. Sorry I couldn't answer sooner I was stuck in the kitchen for 4 hours. mory

Last edited {1}
I won't get the MRI until April - they wouldn't even give me a date until I was under the machine weight. But I did get the procto (3 hrs) with the Fiber camera so now I have
a CD of my intestine to take to another DR to have read. Everybody is going to get in on the act. The testing is about 16M I only will have to pay $320 of it - but now have met my deductibles for the year.

Armond finished the furnace and he is on the way home with his dinner and cash for gas. He won't let me pay him as I gave him
my Datsun P/u and old back/hoe. He also has my new car dolly and is waiting to see if I say he can have it. He has worked 50 years cutting & splitting wood.
Has the highest mechanical aptitude of anyone I ever met. So instead of messing things up I just call him. I'll go on line later and have a couple new pipes sent to him.
I have never seen him without a pipe.
Last edited {1}
Either you got it, or you don't! I always cringe when I see employment ads where they require degrees. Why not just give the applicant a small 'real world' test and see how they do? 'Knowing' and 'doing' are totally different things. I'm one of those people that could go to school forever and would still find it difficult to apply my education to tangible problems. Show me how to do it once or twice however, and I'm usually able to work my way backwards to the underlying reasons why I'm doing what I'm doing.

Mother Mary Says, 'HONESTLY! you're just ruint!'
I have a lot of education, Bj, so when I first told my Mother I wanted to marry Bob, who did not, she had a few choice words. She just didn't understand. To me, who can do next to nothing (including type Big Grin) with my hands, he was a genious! He could do absolutely
anything and I mean that, anything with his brains and hands, together. I would trade him that for my education in a minute!

Last edited {1}
BJ just found your mention of Greenpoint - Its also much safer there. You used to have to appear there to stay but now see they have reservations on the net. The key is having a home Y card - then getting in is easier. I may go down to the city this summer and see a few shows. I can take an express bus and be there in 4 Hrs. A Lot easier than driving.

Mory -
Yep, I do the reservations over the internet, then I call them and confirm a few days later Smile I was a member of my local YMCA for about 3 years. Used the exercise equip for a couple of months, then just considered my dues a 'donation' Smile I donate to the zoo now ... might switch back to the Y in a few years Wink

Lexie - I'd feed you .... and you could prbably camp out in the yard under the field of dandelions that popped up!

Mrs. M.... my mind is going in adult areas today ... I was LMAO about your 'do anything with his brain and hands' comment Smile

Lexi: You can give us a shout - all the hotels have Coffee Bars with Internet - just fighting your way to one is the problem.
And all the new rooms are wired to connect a laptop. The ones using the telephone are VERY expensive though. The good thing is you can check all the facilities out on the net before you go.
I always go with near Empty Luggage as come back with too much. I realize you can't do that with a child. Have a great time - will miss your posts.

quote:
Originally posted by Mory:
A Lot easier than driving.

You would even consider driving????? Smile

When I moved to NYC (82/83) I stayed at the Vanderbilt for a couple of weeks until I found a job and an apt. Saved me quite a bit of $$$. Now, if I'm going to NYC for a couple of days I stay at a little B&B in Chelsea if I have the $99 a nite to spend. If I'm staying a week I do the Greenpoint YMCA.

Re: internet and NYC ... I even pre-purchase my show tickets online. Last time I was able to get 2nd row center seats to Chicago. It was stunning! I still want that time machine from eBay so I can go back to the 70's and see it with Jerry Orbach, Gwen Verdon and Chita Rivera Wink

My favorite was Gwen Verdon in Damn Yankees
My brother Harvey did the Mambo number with her on Broadway. Last month I found a picture of Harvey Honecker Gwen and my Brother Harvey Jung performing The Sunshine Girl in New Girl In Town. on theatredance.com. Harvey danced with her for over 15 years. She was also great as Richard Gere's mother in Cotton Club.
And Mia Farrows Mom in Alice. She went back to acting when her legs gave out. I have her Teak coffee table in my den she gave to my brother.

[This message was edited by Mory on March 23, 2004 at 05:55 PM.]
Last edited {1}
Yes, when not in NY he was in Vegas. The two Harvey's - When they didn't have a Broadway show Gwen would loan them to a girlfriend for a Vegas appearance. Ray also was a good friend and helped him keep working. Harvey was also an amazing speaker - He got into EST and taught for them for years in San Francisco. There all gone now - I am just sorting trunks of pictures and shredding them.
I am saving one box for his daughter who was in a Canadian Ballet Company. Since she hasn't written in four years she may not get it and I'll mail the box to one of the dance websites. or the Library of Congress.
Oh well, time to move on.

In my next life I'm going to be a nightclub piano player/singer in the village in the 1920's or 1930's Smile I'm a firm believer that if there is reincarnation, it wouldn't be stuck to a linear time frame Smile It's going to be my 'vacation' life where I get to party hard and die young! Oh, I'm forgetting the rich parents that don't understand me, but send me checks monthly Smile

Well, if I ever came back..and I am not sure I would care to...I don't know as I would do a whole lot different. I have been lucky to have done so much in my short life! Maybe, if i could remember treating some people shabbily , I would not...I hope I would not repeat that! Kinder is better! Smile I have danced the dance!

Last edited {1}
I wouldn't sell them BJ but I thought of putting them on a website with some of his letters to children who want to dance but aren't good enough or just weren't born with the right bone structure or feet.

When I come back I want to be a Mountain - friendly to Hikers - Skiers and Bears - My snow will melt into clear water and fill the creeks with nourishment for the trout and find its way to the Sea. Tall sheep will tickle my funnybone and I will have millions of pictures
taken of my majestic slopes and the forest below. - and millions of wildflowers will awaken each Spring to greet my friends,

Mory, I wanted to be a dancer all my childhood. I asked my aunt from LosAngeles to take me back with her when I was 12, but she didn't. I still get goosebumps when I see a group of dancers. I wouln't have been good for long with my rotten feet. Maybe next time........

The best things in life are furry....and flowers!
Mory - aren't you glad you use dial? Don't you wish everyone did? Smile

Mrs. M - Yes, although strangely enough, we never had music in the house. Well, not after I was about 5 ... my mother said my father said something nasty to her about her piano skills and she never played after that, nor did she play the radio or watch the variety shows. My mother was the typical taurus - once you said the wrong thing to her she never forgot!

Tap - the one dance I have never been able to find the rhythm for! I can watch it and tell that it 'fits' the song, but I just don't hear that beat Frown

Last edited {1}
No, there was nothing here. I was really into fast dancing like in Dirty Dancing. Ohhhh, what I would do to be able to be one of those dancers. I married a rock and roller who played bass in a popular band. I danced and he played for 10 years after I met him. Then he retired and now I don't get to dance at all Frown He won't. My dad is swiss and he taught me to polka by standing on his feet.

Thanks BJ you never know: - I better stop shredding..
Harvey used to write letters and when he came to a certain word he would draw a picture. Like I'm eating an Apple. The word Apple would be a drawing. (what's the word for that Mrs M?) I wish I had the letters to his daughter for her first three years. I'd publish them. A book for young girls who have seen the Red Shoes and want to be dancers...with lots of crazy fold outs - he did that in letters...

Last edited {1}
MG - ...taught me to polka.... I have visions of blonde pig-tails flying while Myron Floren plays his accordion on Lawrence Welk Wink

I'm also partial to 'dirty' dancing ... I try to catch all the ballroom dancing shows on PBS - there are some fantastic salsa/tango dancers out there! Have you seen 'Strictly Ballroom'? The woman who plays the lead (Tara Morice) looks exactly like my mother at that age. It's uncanny! I grew up in the disco era ... a little salsa, a lot of swing, and then there's the 'shake your booty' part Smile Even more fun when you get a bunch of friends together and arrange a few short numbers - even simple steps look amazing when you've got a group doing them Wink

MG: That's the heartbeat of every dancer - the longing to dance. You could have done it - i'm sure.

I watched Cotton Club 20 times - I could see my brother in Gregory Hines - he was incredible...The steps were like music - privately passed along/ down to friends..
Harvey spent years dancing in Harlem getting steps. He would say, This I got from Gregory and then do it and then this I got from Charlie and do it - He was always ready if a role came along.

Bj...Yep! Blond pigtails flying! You got that right Smile We were fast too! Mom says dad wanted to go out dancing every weekend. *sigh* Wish my hubby was like that. You'd think a musician would be a wonderful dancer. Of all the band memebers thru the years with him tho, only one of them could/would dance. And he was a total jerk!

Mory, thanks, I know I could have been good for a while. Unfortunatley I have osteoarthritis in my feet/ankles and they aren't much good for anything.They don't even like to garden. I do ask Santa for new feet every year, but nothing yet. I was a good dancer for a few years tho.....oh, the good old days Roll Eyes I should get some of those movies and get goosebumps!! Maybe in my next life......

It's hard to go to sleep when your having fun.. Well, I got all the tools put away and Armand called to ask if the furnace was working OK last night I said fine, warm as toasty in here - the furnace rumbles a little maybe breaking in the new pump. No, he said turn it off I'll be right over to re-adjust the intake air sleeve - It's not getting enough fresh air so there is an incomplete burn and the plenum shudders., gasping for air. So he's on the way
back to do some fine tuning. I'm giving him my two Stihl Chain saws today - My wood cutting days are over and he will have them purring again in no time.
Going to make a deal with him - The saws and my chain sharpener if he will remove my
motorhome from the 2nd floor of the barn so it can be sold. I haven't even started it for 8 years. I drove it in but its at an angle and I would surely collapse the barn getting it out. I have the big batteries all charged ready to go. so he will apply some Marvel Mystery Oil and have the big Dodge Humming again soon.
It's like you all said you Got it or you don't and Armonds's got it - Hi's wife's a pisser she had 8 kids - were great friends.
Last edited {1}
Yes, no acid rock!! Some country I like such as Patsy Cline. I leave that to them. Even though there are lots I don't like, I don't object. I don't find it damaging to them. ( Don't think they listen to whiney, twangy types Wink) Since each of them, including my children were tiny, they were subjected to all kinds. I believe what you see...what you hear.. daily, becomes the norm. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.M:
If you can teach your children to be able to interact with people at any level..that is talk corn bread and beans or talk steak, they'll be a sucess in life!

Personally I prefer johnny cakes to corn bread ... Smile

Don't forget teaching them to be good listeners too. Nothing makes someone feel important more than another person listening to them. Of course, it (as you pointed out) really helps knowing what to say when they stop talking Smile

I've wondered what corn bread is like since I read "Misty of Chincoteague" as a child and was entranced by the descriptions of the yearly feast they have there, involving what seemed to me very exotic foods - oyster pie, pumpkin pie and corn bread. I also remember some sort of chicken dish.

The photos you posted for me didn't appear, Mrs M. What were they of?

SS

"Run, Squeaky, Run!"
MG: Sun was here Yesterday and today a light warm drizzle so the snow is going fast - Only former big piles are around.But today the crocus & Daffs are pushing up the topsoil in my big driveway planters. by tomorrow they will stick their noses up and welcome Spring. I can Hardley wait.
Every year I say I am going to devide them but they are so spectacular I just heavily fertilize and watch the explosion

Mory,
Johnny Cakes

1/2 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup hot water or milk
1 tablespoon shortening
Mix the dry ingredients, then stir in the rest. Drop or pour on the hot, greased griddle or iron skillet and fry to a golden brown on both sides. Serve with butter as a bread or with molasses as pancakes.

quote:
Originally posted by Mory:
BJ: I am trying to remember: is a Johnny cake a corn meal skillet bread?

There's only one difference (according to my southern relatives) between cornbread and johnny cakes .... sugar. Johnny cakes has it, corn bread doesn't. And they always make it in a cast iron skillet Smile I like *most* southern cooking ... but you can have the pig feet, chitlins and grits Wink

SS -

If you want to try cornbread use Mrs. M's recipe without the sugar (and with soda? I'll look around for my recipe). If you make the johnny cakes, try it with the 1/3 cup sugar ... it comes out more like a dessert bread Smile And hush-puppies are deep fried cornbread balls, usually with green onion (and misc bits stuff if you want - bacon, sausage, ham....). I like the hush-puppies with either ketchup or maple syrup - depending on my mood Wink

[This message was edited by bjones9942 on March 25, 2004 at 12:42 PM.]
Last edited {1}
Seattle is a strange place for restaurants ... usually the only 'chain' type places that do well are the steak & potato ones. It's hard to compete when you have a population made up of many minorities - we can get real mexican food every mile or so; there are still quite a few good italian places (most of our italian population came here in the 30's and 40's); there's a swedish section of town where I can satisfy my pickled herring cravings; tai, korean and other asian restaurants (good ones) are everywhere! And we're very picky about our seafood ... if you can't do it right, don't do it here! The beach I go to with the dog has dungeness crab everywhere. I could collect dinner just by wading around for a few minutes Smile

Last edited {1}
BJ

How about this?

1 cup yellow cornmeal

1 cup flour

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 egg

1 cup buttermilk

1/4 cup shortening or oleo

Put baking soda in buttermilk and stir. Sift dry ingredients together. Add egg, buttermilk, and shortening to dry ingredients and beat 1 minute.

Here is a very old recipe from the South!
Southern Johnny Cake

3 cup Indian corn meal

1 cup flour

1/3 cup molasses

Pinch of salt

1 teaspoon soda

Buttermilk

Mix corn meal, flour, and salt. Mix soda with 1 cup buttermilk; add to dry ingredients along with the molasses. Mix well. Add more buttermilk if necessary to make a batter for pouring. Pour into a greased iron skillet and bake in a hot oven.

Being from Montana and raised on Corn Bread - Mrs M gets the prize. First Mrs M thanks for confirming the Johnny.
So, Some Cook Notes

I have done years of collecting on Corn Bread because I wanted to use my original Cast Iron ware. Anyone can bake it in a Teflon Ring Pan.
But put the batter in Cast Iron for the toasted corn taste needs some tender care - and putting the batter in a corn stick pan is the test. If you can Bake.

There are extreamly few recipes that mix both baking powder and Soda. If using the above and delete salt or reduce the oil for diet reasons bake it in a Teflon Ring Pan. Any recipe that has both leavening agents Soda & Powder let the batter sit a minute after mixing then gently mix out the first gas. The batter should be smooth use a wisk - don't beat it just incorporate it. Bake at 425 for 18 to twenty minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. If above 3500 ft reduce the powder a tsp.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
When Soda is more than six months old put it in the frigerator to collect odors overnight then dump it. Put the new box in a ziplock bag after opening.
Baking powder causes more baking failures than anything - It only has a shelf life of six to 8 months. Always check the new can expiration date on this item - it's critical.
If doubtful, test it - In 1/3 cup of Hot Tap water in a clear glass stir in one tea
spoon of
your baking powder it should flume and bubble. If not, trash it.

If making the cornbread Texas or Mexican, add another egg and 2 oz or 1/2 cup grated cheddar and 1/4 cup chopped green chiles and 1/4 chopped Onion. I like it( not Hot) with red & Green Pepper. I do make it Hot when served with Beans -
If you use Parmesan Cheese
use a little dill - but have fun...
PS: use the buttermilk recipe from Mrs M:
-PPS I hate this program with not enough time to edit.. -AH The Heck with it... - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[This message was edited by Mory on March 25, 2004 at 02:14 PM.]

[This message was edited by Mory on March 25, 2004 at 02:15 PM.]

[This message was edited by Mory on March 25, 2004 at 02:17 PM.]

[This message was edited by Mory on March 25, 2004 at 02:20 PM.]

[This message was edited by Mory on March 25, 2004 at 02:21 PM.]
Last edited {1}
When I enlisted in the Army they said what can you do: I said I' can Bake.. He opens the book on Military Occupational Specialties MOS
and ask me the ingrediants in Corn bread, When I would use Soda not baking powder
and if I was sent to the locker to get a can of frosted Icing - what would it look like?
He put down I was a Baker...So while others were taking 10 mile Hikes at Camp Cook I was
Making Pies for dinner or frying raised Potato Doughnuts. We had a Hq Command Inspection and I put on a display like Dunkin Doughnuts.
As a reward, My Captain pinned a Sharpshooter Medal on me and gave me a weeks leave. It also got me a bunk onboard ship the 17 day
cruise to Japan (around a huricane) that was supposed to be a week. I was baking in the crew Mess. The same happened when I got to the Tokyo Reple Depot my records conveniently got lost. In the 40th Infantry that shipped to
Korea there were only 8 Cook - Bakers. I never cooked except Breakfast -Sometimes I made Pancakes 24 hrs a day until my arms
were screaming - I took up smoking (faking) to get off the griddle. ...That's Just the way it was..
Baking got me my first Job at AT&T and 30 years later I was Advertising Manager..

Last edited {1}
Yes, we not only had respect but protection.
My wound's were mental. Most All of the high school friends I enlisted with were killed.
You don't get over the guilt you just live with it.
I got a after school job washing pots in a local bakery - Summers I worked full time decoratinmg cakes & making doughnuts. When I finished my shift I use to carry 100lb sacks of flower up from the basement - for every 10 bags the head baker showed me a secret.

When the head bread baker got married I made his 4 tier wedding cake - I was 16. The next year I made Pastry and the next bread.
This is how it began...

My father rebuilt the Bakery Truck engine . In payment I started as bakery apprentice washing pots. My father was from Berlin since I didn't want to learn HIS trade (shameful) I would become a baker. " Bakers always have bread on the table"
He would scream at me...
-OMG it kills me to say he was right...

Last edited {1}
MG: see if you can reserve the Rolling Stone issue "50 YEARS OF ROCK & ROLL... Just Out AT YOUR NEWS DEALER - the cover is being framed and are already going for $200 US...

I called the Library today and ask them to lock it up and put in the display case for research Only. Or it will be lifted and knowone will get to read it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.