Skip to main content

Hi, I am a relative newbie to AS but have had some great success with it.

I have a question regarding some snipes I have placed being rejected due to "blocked by seller". I realise that this will be because I am bidding on items in the USA and these sellers block buyers from outside the US. (I am in Australia.)

What I would like to know is if there is any way I can tell whether the item I am bidding on will block me. I know that before I used AS, when I placed a bid on Ebay it would sometimes give a warning that the seller would not ship to me, but I could still place the bid.

I'm still happy to use AS but it's just a little frustrating when the auction ends in the middle of the night for me and when I check in the morning I find out my snipe wasn't placed. If I could know in advance I wouldn't bother sniping these items.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks so much for your quick reply Mike. No you didn't miss something obvious, I just didn't post the whole story. I thought my essay was long enough already Wink

I use a US mail forwarding service that accepts mail/packages etc and then bulks them up and forwards onto me in Australia. Gets around being unable to purchase things on EBay (or US stores) that will only be shipped within the USA.

I give a US address for my purchases and the seller doesn't realise I'm not based in the US.

The "blocked by seller" thing is just frustrating because I don't know until I get the snipe rejection that the seller has blocked non-US bidders. Not AS's fault, just frustrating for me.

I think I might have to attempt to place a manual bid on Ebay for each item before I set up the snipe, and then maybe I can get any warning messages first.

Thanks again for your reply. Much appreciated.
Shirl, I think it's because my Ebay user ID is actually registered with Ebay Australia not Ebay USA.

I'm being blocked when AS tries to submit my bid, so it must be in the seller's auction set up. Before I started using AS, I noticed many sellers say they ship only to the US, but I had no trouble bidding. Other seller's auctions gave me a warning message when I submitted a bid saying that the "seller may not ship to your location" and I could then override the message and still bid. Some other sellers obviously blocked non-US members and EBay wouldn't let me bid at all.
Here are the ways a seller can block a bidder:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences

It’s kind of a bummer that ebay doesn’t post a warning to a blocked bidder when the auction page is displayed and the bidder is signed-in. It would seem that blocking bidders would have an impact on buyers that bid on the last day or two of an auction, as the blocked bidder might not have enough time to get an exemption from the seller – but maybe I’m wrong. Perhaps it would be too much overhead to check each time the auction page is displayed to see if a bidder is blocked.
Rick, yes it would be nice if Ebay would let a potential buyer know. Surely they should be able to display "blanket" blocked bidders, such as all non-US etc.

Chatter - I like your thinking, might try that. Originally I had a US account but when they started Ebay Australia we were all automatically moved across. I know I can't have a US Paypal account, will check if the same applies to Ebay.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions/advice, greatly appreeciated.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.