Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

With ebay's system you are essentially placing the bid when you view. In a real auction this would be a tactical error because competitors for that item will have seen that you are interested in it and will assume that you have found something of interest.

Using AS avoids this.

Irrelevant? Not really, yesterday I bid on a magazine that I earlier had ignored - the seller had about 50 up for sale and the only thing that made me read it more carefully was it had a bid against it. Turned out to be a rare special edition.

Secondly, it is only human nature to be competitive. The moment someone bids, someone else tries to trump it. Thats why we call them "nibblers" Look at these people, they are usually first time bidders, inexperienced in the ways of eBay.

Using AS isn't the complete answer. If you really want something because it is important to you, most people here use AS and manual bidding to make sure.

I hope that helps. Even if I am watching an aauction as it ends, I am never tempted to bid because I know AS will do the job.

Oh yes, nearly forgot, if you have second thoughts - right up to the last hour, you can cancel your AS snipe - if you've bid via the eBay system, you've had it!

Paul
(noticing with horror that I have used AS nearly 1500 times. Must try and get a life!)
Sorry Jabbergah, there is no AS counter!

I simply took off an approximate number for the bids I placed manually before I found AS, from my eBay total of feedbacks left. My assumption is that barring about five people I have not given feedback to (cowardice!) my feedback left total is fairly accurate. As I use AS, 100% of the time, the estimate was easy!

How about that for confidence in a product? I sleep soundly now, knowing that the hamsters that power the treadmill on the AS server are doing their job well!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.