Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Marty,

You're right. It seems that snipes were being placed today, but that the snipes couldn't be updated.

I'm getting a little punch drunk here. Can you supply auction #, bid amount, and your lead time?

Sorry about not taking the time to fully read your post.

P.S. Was that a new bid group, or one that you had used before?

P.S. (again) You still can't be sure that your bid would have won. The high bid could have been much more than what appears. But this is only of minor importance. Why your snipe didn't get placed is the major issue.
Last edited {1}
I thought that Rick meant that, if Marty's snipes had been placed, how could he know that they were sufficient to win? Marty only sees what the winning bid's amount was, but he does not know how much the high bidder eactually bid.

To put it another way, if Marty's snipes were for $24 and the winning bid was $19, that does not mean that the winning bidder bid only $19; he may have bid $100, but only $19 was needed to win over the next-highest bid of $18.75 or whatever.

This, of course, does not explain why the snipes were not made. If they were placed properly, they should appear in each bidding history, even if only as one of the losers. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
Relatively new one

Once you've used a bid group, you have to delete it, and start with a new one. Once the bid group wins the # of auctions that you requested, adding more auctions, doesn't cause the bid group to renew itself. It thinks you've already won the number of wins that you requested.

This is from AS' faq:
How come I can’t reuse a bid group?

Bid Groups are sensitive. Once a bid group is expired (the amount of items that you wanted to win, have been won).

Does this sound like what happened?
quote:
At 3:54pm est today I recieved an outbid alert for an item in my group.

I don't see how that's possible, because based on your bid amounts, you weren't outbided. Confused Confused

Marty,

I'm calling it a night. Maybe someone more cleaver then me will come on and give you an answer. Sara (AS support) is fond of midnight posts, so maybe she will help you. I noticed that Sara was here around 1 PM (Sara, next time I won't make the topic standout that much, but I hope you understand my motivation), so midnight might be late for her.

Otherwise:

1) Click here to file a support case: http://support.auctionsniper.com/

2) For a free snipe for each one missed, click on the following and have the eBay ID number: http://www.auctionsniper.com/freeSnipes.aspx

Well, Marty. Unfortunately, I've only ended up wasting your time. Frown I sure hope you get an answer to this.

Rick
Last edited {1}
Bid group items were a subset of bids not placed today. The first would be placed, but not ones after that because the database could not tell if the ones before it won or not. The issue this morning was that the database wasnt able to update the status on items. So after the first bid group item was sniped we couldnt enter into the database the fact that it won or lost. It was then unsafe to fire off subsequent bid group snipes because you might have already won the first one.

You can claim your free snipes here:
http://www.auctionsniper.com/freeSnipes.aspx

Sorry about that.
Thats right, Rick, I should have won! Problem was that none of the bids were placed to Ebay! I did create a problem report and am curious what they find out. In the meanwhile I created a new bid group and placed 29 different snipes in it - spanning out 9 days. I should win one of them. Problem is that I happen to be lucky this time that there are lots of similiar items available at this time. It would be a shame to miss out on a one-of-a-kind item or a real steal. I must say that until today Auction Snipper worked real well for me.

Marty
Indeed, my very first group for three seperate denim jackets, I sat here and watched as it did nothing. I had bid £15 and the first has gone for £6.50!

Very annoying as that was the one I wanted. The two remaining are over £13 already. The snipe is still showing as ready.

AS is an excellent tool but it does shake one's confidence when this happens.

I had five normal snipes go off today without a hitch.
>> Very annoying as that was the one I wanted. << - For a free snipe for each one missed, click on the following and have the eBay ID number: http://www.auctionsniper.com/freeSnipes.aspx - Not that it's much help, but it's something.

>> AS is an excellent tool but it does shake one's confidence when this happens. << - Yesterday was a bad day. I've never seen it like that. We get the occassional complaint about not being placed, but they usually turn out to be short lead times.

>> I had five normal snipes go off today without a hitch. << - Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
You didn't reach ebay's next bid increment.

Because this comes up often, the following was posted by Steve (forum member) on 4/30/03 at 7:30 AM:
eBay Bid Increments

Current price
$0.01 - $0.99 = $0.05
1.00 - 4.99 = 0.25
5.00 - 24.99 = 0.50
25.00 - 99.99 = 1.00
100.00 - 249.99 = 2.50
250.00 - 499.99 = 5.00
500.00 - 999.99 = 10.00
1000.00 - 2499.99 = 25.00
2500.00 - 4999.99 = 50.00
5000.00 and up = 100.00

This is weird. The bid history shows this as the ending price:
texomapeanut - $64.50
which disagrees with the auction listing? Confused Confused

ebay bug?
Last edited {1}
quote:
No! This is a dutch auction! 62 should have been accepted and a winner!!!!

Forgot about the Dutch Auction Red Face, but look at the bid history:

texomapeanut .$64.50
ilesandsons. . . $61.50

Those are the two top bidders, and $62 couldn't increment over $61.50.

Check my math - I could still be screwed up. Eek
Last edited {1}
Marty,

It's not a bug. Everything worked like it was suppose to.
These are the top 2 bidders, and their quantities:
texomapeanut .$64.50 (1)
ilesandsons. . . $61.50 (2)

Auction closed at $61.50. And your bid didn't go in because you didn't get past the next increment.

Man, I'm rusty on Dutch Auctions.
Last edited {1}
Yes, mine didn't get done either. Funny thing is, I got a "low bid amount" email on one (not a bid group item), and the expired auctions (all of one bid group) still say READY- even though they are over...

Is this something that will be fixed soon? I need a POST card and now my wait will be several more days, or cost a lot more to buy outright...

Wayne

"Its not whether or not you'll have problems, it's what you do WHEN you have them that counts..." quote from famous person- me!
quote:
Originally posted by waynetn:
Yes, mine didn't get done either.

Wayne,

If that comment was a result of Marty's post, you will notice that AS did what it was suppose to do. Marty's snipe couldn't be placed because of ebay's bid increment. I can only hope that Marty will come on this forum and tell us he agrees with this assessment.

Now, as for your problem. If it was yesterday, AS wasn't at its perfect self. If it was today, then maybe something else happened. If you provide the auction #, lead time, and bid amount, this might have an answer other then being an AS' problem.
Last edited {1}
I was wrong in the previous post, yes my bid was less that $1 away from the current winning Dutch bid -

However how do you explain this?

--------------------------------
item 3419122843 Seller: ezbpc max 62 Currently 49.00 quantity 1 lead 10 ended 6/19/2003 3:20:21 PM
folder/bidgroup AMDXP status Ready
--------------------------------

I clearly should have one that one! Top 2 were $49 & $50. $62 would have one with the final price $50. Snipe never went off!

I finally won what I wanted by moving the next one in my BidGroup to "MySnipes". I didn't trust Auction Sniper at that point and placed my own bid on Ebay. Turns out the snipe was fired off the same second that I placed my bid!! I bid $65, and Auction Sniper bid $62. I still got it for $58 since it was a Dutch Auction with qty 2. Auction Sniper took the credit

There must be a problem with BidGroup. I have no problem if the problem exists and is acknowledged and then fixed.

Marty
Marty,

I'm sure, sooner or later, you'll find something wrong with AS.

Yesterday, AS was having a problem - they admitted it.

Your first auction today, you were convince it was AS - it wasn't. Now, you have another one.

I've spent a bunch (A BUNCH!) of time with you. I've made some mistakes, but I've put in a lot of time, and I think I've helped.

You've heard of the saying, "Seeing is believing"? Have you heard of the saying, "Believing is seeing"? It's related to self-fulfilling prophecy. It means, that if you want to see something bad enough - you will.

I'll sit this one out. Mainly, because I feel that even if this turns out not to be AS' problem, you'll be back and back. So - without going thru this again, let just say I agree with you.

Also, I would have had a lot of respect for you had you come back to this forum right after you discovered that you were wrong and had admitted to it, without adding it to your latest problem. Call me a psychic - but I had a feeling that you were going to post your previous post.

Rick
Frown Frown Frown Frown
Rick, I appreciate your help. Today I may have jumped the gun with one of my snipes not going off. All that I wanted to do was to win the item in my bid group. You do acknowledge that yesterday was a problem day. With 3 failed wins and suspecting a database problem I created a new group called AMDXP and moved all my items from my group Motherboard. A few of my group items were outbid by some silly bid amounts. Then when I thought I won, and was wrong, I jumped the gun to complain, sorry.

My latest attempt was legimate and I should have won that one. As I mentioned, I got what I wanted, but not via a BidGroup. Problem is that the BidGroup concept is critical, in my eyes, as to how to use Auction Snipper. All I want to find out is that it works (1) because it was fixed or (2) I am somehow using it incorrectly.

I really like Auction Sniper and am not needlessly bashing them.

Respectfully yours,
Marty
Marty,

I'm glad to see things are working out for you with AS. I may have been a little rough on you earlier. Hard for me to remain objective.

Like most everyone, I use to do manual snipes. They were such a pain. Placing snipes during dinner; interrupting a movie; making appointments around snipes. So, when I discovered AS, I was hooked. It really is a great service, but like everything, it's not perfect.

I sometimes forget the stress that newbies, and experienced AS'ers, go thru when their snipe isn't placed. When it happens to a newbie - bad luck, and it's understandable that they want to say something about it. When it happens to an experienced AS'er with a load of successful snipes, it's harder to understand some of the comments they make (I'm not suggesting you fall into either of these groups - it's just a source of frustration when working with people on this forum).

So, people come on and complain about snipes not being placed (most of the time it's due to short lead times, not reaching the next bid increment, or they reused a bid group - when it's AS' fault, Sara is very good about letting everyone know).

Also, others sometime complain about snipes being placed too early. It's like, "damn if you do, and damn if you don't." If we could somehow switch the snipes that didn't get placed with the snipes that got placed early, maybe everyone would be happy. Wink

So, since I think this is a great service; better than anything else out there for sniping; I start to think that some people just don't know how good they have it. You're comments were fairly tame, but some people come on here and are ready to kill. I sometimes wonder how they would feel if AS went out of business, or if AS were to tell everyone, "Sorry, we're doing an upgrade and we'll be shutdown for a week." I'd bet there be less complaints about a snipe being placed 10 seconds early (again, I'm not suggesting you fall into this category).

Anyway, I'm rambling, and this probably isn't as much for your benefit as it is for mine.

Again, glad things are going well for you with your snipes, and now that you posted on this forum, don't be a stranger. 11 more posts and your status will change from "JuniorSniper" to "Sniper".

Didn't mean to reopen this thread - thought you might want to hear this.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.