Skip to main content

I placed an AS bid for what I thought was $8.02. When I checked my wins I noticed I entered $802.00, obviously I won the auction for $17.50 + 7.00 shipping. ($24.50 for a $20 item). I sent the seller this email.. I won the auction referenced above. However, I did not plan on bidding the winning amount of $17.50. I attached my Auction Sniper bid page to show my bid was entered as $802 instead of $8.02. If I win more of your auctions for the same item with combined shipping I would like to follow through on this transaction. If not, I would prefer to have my bid cancelled. I do understand it was my error and I do not want to jeopardize my feedback rating or risk a NPB complaint with eBay. Let know if you want to wait & see if I win more of your auctions, cancel my bid, or make me pay for this one. The ball is in your court. Here is his reply..I'm sorry to hear of your problem, however, we will have to hold you responsible for the auction you won. There are several checkpoints that can be used before the auction ended to retact your bid. Bids can not be retracted after an auction ends. You may see if you win additional auctions, however, payment is due for this auction within 10 days of auction ending, thank you. Frown My question is could'nt the seller have cancelled my bid even after the auction ended? I did pay after receiving his email and learned to be more careful. However accidents do happen and I would hope sellers would be a little more understanding. Oh well.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi! First post- so no fancy pictures or anything.I've barely figured out email and am new to ebay since mid-December. Managed to spend a fortune so far, though, on lots of pretties! I'm loving sniping, too.

Anyway, I did that once - accidentally bid $2000 on a fish tank, when I wanted to bid $20.00. It happened because I hit a comma instead of a period. Thankfully, I saw my mistake on the screen. (This was on the ebay bidding list before I found AuctionSniper.) I ended up finding a Help list and following it to retract my bid and replace it with what I intended, which I later lost. (I also found a much better aquarium, too!) The bid retraction shows up on my feedback profile, but all my feedback is super-positive so it doesn't seem to have hurt me any. People still take my money.

With AS, I have learned to double-check my bids, since there is no chance of pulling it back once it launches.

It was, of course, the seller's prerogative whether to hold you to that bid or not, and I suppose, if you had been forced to the max on your bid, you could have tried arbitration of some sort, but your lesson is at least cheaper than some of the mistakes I've had to pay for so far in my ebay education. Other than my one typo, when I have overbid, it was my own ignorance at play. Oh, well. Enjoy your item. At least one other bidder thought it was worth about that much.
Morning all...
quote:
lh:
My question is could'nt the seller have cancelled my bid even after the auction ended?
No. He/She could have ignored your bid and asked the next bidder if they wanted it for their price, but they would not have been 'obligated' to take it. The only way to cancel a bid and still have a binding contract with the high bidder that is left, is to cancel before the end of auction. Tough break... at least your lesson wasn't TO expensive.

littlebit, to the forum!

Last edited {1}
You might try contacting the next highest bidder and offer to pay the difference between their bid and your winning bid. If it isn't much and you really don't want the item then it might be a good solution.

On the other hand, you could always just list the item on eBay and sell it to someone else Smile Who knows ... you might get more than you paid for it!

Mother Mary Says, 'HONESTLY! you're just ruint!'
Thanks for the welcomes! I have learned so much reading everyone's posts that I owe you all a debt of gratitude. You've been a big help with timing, strategy, bid groups, finding Snipe It Now, and so on. I've won 73 auctions since I joined AS on Jan 19, so it has really worked well for me. Of course, I've lost a decent number, too. I figure if I win them all, I'm just paying way too much!

The only problem now is that I've just gotten good at sniping and it is almost time to quit, since I've just about finished buying what I came to ebay to collect - at least that's what I tell myself! Actually, come to think of it, I'm on my second collection now. Maybe I need an intervention and a 12-Step recovery program for ebay addiction. Maybe I'll just start posting - it's cheaper. If I get too far gone, maybe I'll have to sell to support my habit.

Excuse the rambling. Anyway, I'm happy to make your acquaintance.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.