Skip to main content

Reply to "forgot decimal $802.00 vs $8.02"

Hi! First post- so no fancy pictures or anything.I've barely figured out email and am new to ebay since mid-December. Managed to spend a fortune so far, though, on lots of pretties! I'm loving sniping, too.

Anyway, I did that once - accidentally bid $2000 on a fish tank, when I wanted to bid $20.00. It happened because I hit a comma instead of a period. Thankfully, I saw my mistake on the screen. (This was on the ebay bidding list before I found AuctionSniper.) I ended up finding a Help list and following it to retract my bid and replace it with what I intended, which I later lost. (I also found a much better aquarium, too!) The bid retraction shows up on my feedback profile, but all my feedback is super-positive so it doesn't seem to have hurt me any. People still take my money.

With AS, I have learned to double-check my bids, since there is no chance of pulling it back once it launches.

It was, of course, the seller's prerogative whether to hold you to that bid or not, and I suppose, if you had been forced to the max on your bid, you could have tried arbitration of some sort, but your lesson is at least cheaper than some of the mistakes I've had to pay for so far in my ebay education. Other than my one typo, when I have overbid, it was my own ignorance at play. Oh, well. Enjoy your item. At least one other bidder thought it was worth about that much.