Skip to main content

I like the basic intent of this tool, but what about some statements concerning its performance? For example, if I include several items that are scheduled to close within seconds of one another, how will AS handle this situation? In other words, some constraints should be identified for use of this tool so that the bidder does not end up winning more than he wants of any item(s).

Can I assume, the end times should be at least 5 seconds apart? What happens if end times are as little as 2 seconds apart?

Thank you for any comments you would care to provide. Regards from the central coast of California. Jack!

jfcullati
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Jadk,

My understanding of the bid groups: AS must confirm a WIN or LOSS on a sniped auction in a bid group before bidding on another auction in the group. In other words, it will miss placing a bid rather than risking winning more than you desire.

If my understanding is incorrect, I'm sure someone else will chime in! Wink

Jabbergah                                                    
Maybe this will help
quote:
28. Can I add two or more bids with the same auction ending time to a bid group?

Sorry, no. It is impossible for us to detect to see if you have won a snipe, and then cancel the rest, if they end at the same time. You should allow at least 30 seconds between bid group items to give us enough time to determine if you've won the first item.

And, !!

I believe we can win bid group items even 5 seconds apart, although it all depends on eBays speed. Basically we cant bid on the next item until we've confirmed if you've won or lost the previous item. That's the only limitation. So in theory we could even win items just 1 second apart. Although I wouldnt count on it. 5+ seconds is probably a safe bet. Worst case is we just skip the bid on the item when we arent sure you didnt win the item before it in the bid group. Items that end at the same time wont work because we cant find out if you've won the other one or not.
I actually tried this once. I had several idential items in a bid group. I wanted one of them. The first two items auction ended on Thursday morning at 08:20 PST and ended 5 seconds apart. Lead times were 5 seconds for the first auction, and 4 seconds for the second. I lost the first auction to a proxy bid, and got a 'Not in Time' message on the second.

Last edited {1}
I wasn't upset about the Not in Time. I knew I was cutting it close, but saw the chance to give AS the 'personal test'. There are maybe 5-6 of these on eBay all the time, and later got my win for much less.

The help screens need to give instructions and advice for what they KNOW will work. I think Sara gives advice for what will PROBABLY work.

Sara, don't change!!! I still value your opinion and advice!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.