Skip to main content

Hi everybody

I´m a new user (2 min. old Smile ) and let me tell you that the reason I chose AS over the other similar services on the net was it´s forum , a service that has no fear to see it´s merits discussed publicaly scores big for me !
Now I have a simple question : If I understood correctly once AS places your snipe it becomes a proxy biding and starts biding for itself inside ebay servers , am I correct?

thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi. Good morning. Welcome, etc..
In a way. It submits your max bid in the last few seconds as if it was you doing it. Then the ebay computer does the same as if it was your direct bid.
It uses only as much of that money that is needed to win the bid. OF Course, If someone bids more than you do, they will win. But the top advantages of AS is the fact that: 1. You do not keep runing the price up with a bidding war. 2. You can cancel your bid up to 2 minutes before (ebay won't let you) and 3. You can have bid groups. so you can cover all the avilable gizmos auctions and yet not have to worry you will end up with all of them)

The forums area is great, I agree.

"Shop"
Thaks for the welcome ShoptillIdrop and Mrs.M but what I´d like o know is the following : imagine AS places my bid 10 secs. from the end and another bider or snipe program bids higher after that , is it AS that places another bid on the remaining time to cover it up or is it the ebay server that takes control after that using the remainig money of the bid placed by AS to raise it against other biders?
Thanks
quote:
Originally posted by ar5longa:
imagine AS places my bid 10 secs. from the end and another bider or snipe program bids higher after that

AS will only place one snipe, and that will be for the amount you tell it to bid. If someone bids higher, before or after, they win. Now, you can win an auction with a lower amount if your snipe is placed 1st and the 2nd snipe doesn't reach your bid's next increment. But that's all determine by ebay.

quote:
Originally posted by ar5longa:
If I understood correctly once AS places your snipe it becomes a proxy biding and starts biding for itself inside ebay servers

AS will place 2 to 4 (4 was the last that I remember) snipes from 2 to 4 servers. It does that to make sure at least one of them gets in. All the snipes are for your full bid amount. You usually only see one of the snipes on the bid history, because ebay won't let the same user bid the same amount more then once.

Pretty nifty feature.
Last edited {1}
Thanks Rick
I thought that AS would put the full amount of my max value as a proxy biding on ebay and after that ebay would took over and bid for me until my max was reached or I was overbid
As it is , if a proxy bider has set a max value higher than the only bid AS places for he will allways win even if the max value I set on AS is higher as ebay will automatically cover my bid for him
AS puts in your max bid. It is a case of you will pay only as much as is needed to win. If someone else has put a max bid higher than you they will win. As in any other auction. But, with the AS way, you stand a better chance of getting the gizmo at or below your max than you would by bidding it up, and up, on ebay. Plus, if it goes over your max, you have the satisfaction of knowing you did not overpay for the gizmo. That is why we all tend to say. Bid your max, sit back and enjoy doing something else. The AS computer will do the work for you.
Good Luck Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

"Shop"
Seemed like a simple question. Rick handled it his usually exceptional way UNTIL he confused the issue with mentioning the multiple AS submissions! Wink It IS a neat valuable feature, though.

Maybe an example auction?:

Lets say there is a gizmo up for a 3 day auction. Minimum opening bid is $1. Paul wants the item really bad! He places a bid for $100. If you view the auction screen after Paul's bid, it will show Paul as currently winning the auction with a $1 bid.

Day 2, Steve views the gizmo auction, and he really wants it. He sees one other bidder (Paul) has bid on it and is winning with a $1 bid. Steve places a $10 bid. If you view the auction screen after Steve's bid, it will show there were 2 bids and PAUL as currently winning the auction with an $11 bid.

Still day 2, Steve sees he is outbid by proxy Paul), and places ANOTHER bid - $25. If you view the auction screen after Steve's 2nd bid, it will show there were 3 bids and PAUL as currently winning the auction with a $26 bid. Steve decides to do some ebay searches for more gizmos for cheaper.

Day 3 (final day), Andy Sniper views the gizmo he's always wanted. He notices the current winning bid is Paul's at $26. Andy decides to snipe the item and decides the maximum he is willing to pay for the item is $75 (which is nearly 3 times the current winning bid!). Andy sets his $75 snipe up to occur 10 secs before the end of the auction.

1 hour before auction end, Steve is back. He didn't find any other comparable gizmos, so he really wants this one. He notes Paul still holds the winning bid at $26. Steve places a bid (his 3rd in this auction) for $55. If you view the auction screen after Steve's 3rd bid, it will show there were 4 bids and PAUL as STILL winning the auction with a $56 bid. Steve smashes his keyboard and goes to bed.

30 minutes before the auction end, Andy Sniper checks the auction. He notes the winning bid is now up to $56 with Paul still the winning bidder. He decides his $75 is the MAX he is willing to pay and does not modify his bid.

11 secs before auction end, AS places Andy's snipe for $75. If you view the auction screen after Andy's sniped bid, it will show there were 5 bids and PAUL as STILL winning the auction with a $76 bid.

5 secs before auction end, Manuel "don't-have-a-life" Sniper notes the top bid has gone up from $56 to $76, still held by Paul. He frantically places his own bid for $86.55. If you view the auction screen 2 seconds after Andy's sniped bid, it will show (theoretically, if ebay can respond quick enough and your internet connection is FAST!) there were 6 bids and PAUL as STILL winning the auction with a $87.55 bid. Manuel sees his last minute rushed bid was not enough -- he lost the auction. He pops another upper and washes it down with some strong coffee.

Next day, Andy Sniper turns on his computer to see how his snipe went. He discovers that he was OUTBID BY PROXY. He notes the $87.55 winning bid and wonders why ANYONE would pay that much for a used gizmo when the local Wal-Mart sells the very same gizmo NEW for only $85!
NOTE: What Andy CAN'T know is that Paul had placed a $100 bid! Andy would've lost even if he had placed a $100 sniped bid (Ties go to the first bid placed, i.e. Paul)!!

Presuming you've waded through this long example explanation, you'll understand better how ebay proxy bidding and AS sniping works. Wink

(Has no life because of LONG forum replies!) Roll Eyes

Jabbergah Cool
Hi ShoptillIdrop

Sorry to be such a pain but I think I still couldn´t explain my point.
Let´s assume someone placed a $10 bid on an ebay item with a maximum bid limit of $100 and I placed the same $100 maximum on AS for the same item timed for 8 sec.
Now , 8 sec. from the end AS places a $11 bid for me(it would be the minimum amount needed to win),but, imediatly ebay´s proxy bids $12 for the other guy and I lose even if I´d be willing to go all the way to $100 because AS won´t go up for me .
This is what I´ve been trying to ask : wouldn´t AS be beaten every time by a proxy bider by a $1 or two on a situation like this? even if the AS bider would be willig to pay way more?
Jabbergah,

As the elite winner of the "AS/proxy biding" topic answering contest, you have now won the prestige and title and can now claim the crown (to be worn only while in your bathrobe, of course).

Unfortunately, our sponsors have failed to donate any money towards the award purse; however, with your current recognition, you may be able to post in future topics until reaching an "expert" status.

We bow humbly in your presence and hope you will remember us when you achieve the "title" of reigning sniper forum champion, whereupon you will be eligible for the AuctionSniper Forum hall of fame!

Perhaps then we can all meet at Disneyland for crumpets and tea and discuss our many wins utilizing this amazing site.

Mrs M. please do the honors by posting the "pat on the back award"

Way to go!!!

<-M->

This message is not in any way sponsored or condoned by the National Rifle Association.
At the risk of sending Mrs.M into convulsions:

When I read over my little auction story, I realized that I left a few things out! What about PAUL?!?

Paul ended up winning the auction at $87.55! He thinks he got a BARGAIN since he had bid $100. He's DELIGHTED!! (Maybe he doesn't know that gizmo is available at Wal-Mart for $85. Maybe he doesn't get out much. Maybe he's got more money than sense. Regardless, he cheerfully pays the seller, including the ADDITIONAL $6 s&h, receives the gizmo, is completely satisfied, and leaves glowing feedback for the seller!) Smile

Although Andy Sniper LOST this auction to Paul, he's happy too, because he didn't get caught up in any bidding war or overpay Eek for a gizmo he could easily get cheaper elsewhere. Razz

And the other 2 bidders? Well, they're just losers! Wink

Boy, it sure is hard to NOT feel superior when you are an AuctionSniper!! Big Grin Whether you win the auction or NOT! Wink

Snipe on!

Jabbergah Cool
Robert makes a good point. Sorry everyone. I definitely did more then my part in complicating a very simple question. Red Face

But what the heck, jabber. You got us back on track, so don't give up your virtual Franklin. It might upset Mrs. M, and you don't want to do that. Wink

Mrs. M? - Is that OK to say? Cool
Last edited {1}
Hi Jabbergah

Just read your post again and noticed something odd :

"30 minutes before the auction end, Andy Sniper checks the auction. He notes the winning bid is now up to $56 with Paul still the winning bidder. He decides his $75 is the MAX he is willing to pay and does not modify his bid.

11 secs before auction end, AS places Andy's snipe for $75. If you view the auction screen after Andy's sniped bid, it will show there were 5 bids and PAUL as STILL winning the auction with a $76 bid."

AS should snipe for $57 right ? as it would be the minimum needed bid for Andy to win over Paul´s $56 bid
If it wasn´t like that AS would allways go for your biding limit (baaaaaaaaad move Mad)
Sorry for so many questions but I´m trying to get the grips of all this Confused
Hi Ar5!

AS doesn't do anything you don't tell it. If you put a bid amount in the AS snipe, THAT is the amount that AS submits. I think you are confusing what AS does with what ebay does. AS acts like a secretary or power of attorney for in submitting your bid to ebay. It follows your instructions explicitly, and makes no presumptions as to submit a lower bid than you tell it to!

NOW what EBAY does with your bid is compare it to the max bids other bidders have submitted. (This is true whether you bid manually 2 days before the auction ends OR if you bid with AS in the last few seconds -- the ways ebay handles/processes the bid is identical). The bidder that has THE HIGHEST maximum bid is the one the holds the winning bid. The MAX bid does not necessarily equal the winning bid -- the winning bid can be lower. Ebay only increases the winning bid to the smallest permitted increment above the 2nd highest max bid -- NOT increase it all the way up to your MAX bid. For instance, Paul from the story only needed to pay $87.55 for the gizmo, NOT the $100 he bidded, because that was the maximum amount ebay needed to increase the bid (by proxy) to beat the bids of all the OTHER bidders.

In my novel, I INTENTIONLY gave an example where the FIRST bidder and NOT either of the SNIPERS win the auction. All auctions are won by the bidder THAT BIDS THE MOST, NOT the one that BIDS THE LAST!

Don't get confused and think the amount of any bid you place on ebay (either manually or with AS) HAS to be only 1 bid increment higher than the current winning bid. Paul, from the story, figured he was willing to pay up to 100 (?!) times the bid increment at the time he originally placed his bid. He didn't worry about bid increments -- he let ebay figure all that out for him.

That is ONE of the keys with sniping. You figure out just EXACTLY how much you are willing to pay for an item, and put that in for your bid. If you're sniping, you only have one shot at bidding, so make sure that you put in your TRUE max. That way, if you lose like Andy did, you won't care that some other bidder was willing to pay TOO MUCH for the gizmo! Eek

Don't know if this is clear enough. Maybe someone else can take a run at it if it's not.

Snipe on!

Jabbergah Cool
As I understand the latest question. Joe placed a 100 max bid with ebay. now Moe places a 100 max bid via AS. who would win. In this example, Joe would because when the same max amount is entered, the first one would win. I think... However that is a very rare case. That is why most AS bidders will use an odd amount. Such as 101.13 or such. To avoid such a tie with the ebay proxy wining. I hope this answers the last question.
Roll Eyes

"Shop"
Thanks Jabbergah

I was under the impression that AS worked like the ebay proxy , it would only bid the minimum needed to win the auction , so I suppose that the better way to win a auction for the lowest price will be to place a AS bid and a minute or so before the auction ends place a ebay bid of the same amount , that way if nobody else bids the proxy will let me win by the minimum , if someone tries to outbid me in that last minute I still have a last second secret weapon with AS Big Grin
Ar5,

You're working too hard! You are worried that AS will prevent you from winning an auction at the lowest possible bid, and think that you must still do a manual bid. As far as ebay is concerned, an AS bid and manual bid look exactly the same and are treated/processed identically.

I don't think you are capturing ebay's proxy bidding concept. The amount you bid doesn't have to be ONLY 1 bid increment above the current winning bid, it must be AT LEAST one bid increment above the current winning bid. Also the bid you place is not necessarily what you PAY when you win, it can be much less depending on what your competing bidders bid.

Let's say you went to ebay right now and find 5 printer inkjet cartridges auctions that end in 3 days. OK, let's say nobody has yet bid on ANY of these auctions and the minimum bid on each of them is $1. Now lets say you bid $10000(?! Yes!) on EACH of these auctions!?! When all the auctions end, what will have happened? I GUARANTEE you WILL have WON all 5 auctions! What will your bill be?? I GUARANTEE you it WON'T be $50000!!!! Ebay increases your winning bid by proxy ONLY to the minimum bid amount necessary to beat all competing bids. There aren't many ebay bidders out there bidding more than about $40 for a printer cartridge. That means the MOST you'd be paying would be about $41 x 5, or only $205. This in spite of the fact that you BID $10,000.00!!?! On FIVE auctions?!?! Now think about this, if NOBODY ELSE bid on those 5 auctions each of which you bid $10000 on, you would STILL win all 5 auctions at the opening bid of $1.00, or 5 x $1, or $5. It is the PROXY bidding, done by Ebay in your behalf that guarantees your bid in the absolute minimum possible and still beat all competing bidders.

The BOTTOM LINE is the highest bidder always wins, regardless of WHEN the bid is placed. So if someone places a bid that is HIGHER than the amount you snipe, YOU STILL LOSE! That's why you need to snipe the absolute highest amount you are willing to pay for any item. That way, if you win, you'll be happy to get it at or less than your bid. If you lose, you'll be happy that you didn't overpay for the item.

Does this help or just muddy the waters more?? Confused

Jabbergah

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.