Skip to main content

OK this has now cost me 2 auctions!!! Why bother with having a 5 second lead time when snipe goes in at 2 or 3 times that!!! Last auction snipe got placed at 14 seconds out & I got beat by someone responding to my bid. What's the point of Auction Sniper when you get more lead time than you ask for??? This last one REALLY pissed me off, I REALLY wanted this item & I could have set my alarm to get up later that night like I used to do before I gave A/S a chance. A/S says "bid at the last second, automatically." Last second my butt, this happens anymore & I'll go back to the old way, at least I'll win my auctions again!!!!!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

No, you won't. Don't you realize that you lost those two auctions because the winning bidder was willing to spend more than you were? Let's say for the sake of the discussion that your bid had gone in with 5 seconds as set up. Would that have made a difference? No. The other guy still bid more than you did. He may have seen your bid go in, but he had no way of knowing how much you had bid, so he gave it his best shot -- which was better than yours.

For your information, as a service to its subscribers AS monitors the rate at which eBay is processing bids. Often, eBay is anywhere from several seconds to several minutes slow in accepting bids, which is critical towards the end of the auction because snipes set for, say, 5 seconds before closing simply aren't accepted in time. The auction clock keeps ticking no matter how busy eBay's servers are. So AS adds an appropriate number of seconds to your bid in an effort to give eBay a chance to catch up to it. I guess you'd p*ss and moan that your bid wasn't submitted if AS didn't do that.

Quit your bellyaching and increase your max bid!
"In any case, I've made a rule for myself that anybody else is free to follow or not: If a complaint (as opposed to a question) appears in the Auction Sniper Support section of the Forum I leave it for the AS support folks to respond. A complaint in any other section will get only a suggestion to file a support case, with the URL for AS Support." - Steve

Has this changed, or did the author ask a question instead of leaving a complaint?
Rick, I predicated my no-response position on the assurance by Michael at AS that he monitors the Auction Sniper Support section of the Forum on a continuing basis and responds to complaints therein. Yet of late I have seen complaints go unanswered for days on end, leading to followup complaints about that fact. Add to that Sara B.'s comment a few days ago that she almost didn't respond to a complaint because it was identical to several that had already been answered. (I don't blame either Michael or Sara since I'm sure they have better things to do than to respond to no-brainers.)

So, maybe I should re-think my position. What's your judgement?
Steve,

Not sure.

It seems that sometimes my responses do more harm than good, and only cause more dissention. Once I left a caustic response, that was later deleted by support because the guy had a legitimate complaint. I think I've gotten 3 "postals".

I liked your "rule" that is cited above. But, support HAS been neglectful lately in responding. But, on the other hand, the "Auction Sniper Support" forum seems to be the responsibility of AS, at least that's how it sounds from what Michael told you? So maybe it's a good idea to not try to protect them (or perhaps better put, doing their work), at least on that one forum? Don't know. I'm fairly indecisive on this one.

It is a pity that this forum and faq's aren't searched more often. Rarely does an original question come up. Someone posted this last night: "I realize this has been discussed in the firums (sic) before, I just haven't had the time to look it up yet." Frown

We're both loyal AS users, and want to see them succeed (I'd hate to lose this service), and not do any harm. Since I've caused more than my share of hostility on this forum, I'll follow your lead.
Rick,

Michael was quite specific in stating that he would monitor the AS Support portion of the Forum and respond (or, apparently, not respond) to the questions contained therein. So, grudgingly, I'll bite my tongue and refrain from replying to any more posts in that portion. In fact, I don't think I'll even read that part of the Forum so that I won't be tempted to respond, obnoxiously (yes, I read that comment) or otherwise.
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
No, you won't. Don't you realize that you lost those two auctions because _the winning bidder was willing to spend more than you were?_ Let's say for the sake of the discussion that your bid had gone in with 5 seconds as set up. Would that have made a difference? No. The other guy still bid more than you did. He may have seen your bid go in, but he had no way of knowing _how much_ you had bid, so he gave it his best shot -- which was better than yours.

For your information, as a service to its subscribers AS monitors the rate at which eBay is processing bids. Often, eBay is anywhere from several seconds to several minutes slow in accepting bids, which is critical towards the end of the auction because snipes set for, say, 5 seconds before closing simply aren't accepted in time. The auction clock keeps ticking no matter how busy eBay's servers are. So AS adds an appropriate number of seconds to your bid in an effort to give eBay a chance to catch up to it. I guess you'd p*ss and moan that your bid wasn't submitted if AS didn't do that.

Quit your bellyaching and increase your max bid!

I can tell you one thing for sure, after reading replies to mine & other posts you folks are real good at coming up with answers that put the problem/blame/responsibility on someone else. Sure maybe a higher overall limit might gain a win or two, BUT THE FACT STILL REMAINS YOU CAPTION OF "BID AT THE LAST SECOND" IS B.S! And you are WAY WRONG if you think coming in at 3 or 4 seconds out doesn't make a difference. I've had plenty of auctions I've watched to snipe on my own where bids coming in at say 10 or 15 seconds out were enough to decide to hit the place bid key or not or even counter a bid where I got bumped! The point being made is that if you send a bid in that bumps the guy, he's got NO TIME TO RESPOND WITH A COUNTER BID!! THAT'S WHAT SNIPING IS!! THAT'S ONE OF THE BIG POINTS OF SNIPING- NO TIME TO COUNTER!! That's were it's lost, because there's time to counter! If I wanted to lay in a fat reserve what the hell is the advantage of using you guys??? As for your statement of bids going not going in at 5 seconds your full of it, I do it ALL the time, many as close as 2 or 3 seconds. I have NEVER had a 5 second lead time not go thru. If your using a good high speed server it should not be a problem. I'm sure it could have once in a while, but don't make it sound like it's that way all the time. Besides, if it didn't go thru because of not enough time then it would be my fault because THAT'S the lead time I'm asked for! You people charge for this service, so either deliver on you "bid at the last second" sales pitch or change it to be more honest like bid in the last minute. I don't know where you get off with the attitude you replied with but if you can't deliver on you posted sales pitch then I've got every right to "p*ss & moan" as you put it.
Don, neither Steve or Rick works for AS, so your comments directed to "you guys" and ""you[r] posted sales pitch" are barking up the wrong tree. Yes, this is a sniper support board, but only the AS staffers whose ID is followed by the words "Auction Sniper Support" work for AS and qualify as "you guys." The rest of us are just regular AS members who try to lend a helping hand to other, less experienced members such as yourself. But that does not seem to matter to you.

Since you came in here, loaded and ready to fire from your very first post--screaming about how pissed off you were, etc.--and refused to consider what the two most experienced AS members have to say, and were generally arrogant from the get-go, I would say that you should follow your own advice and go back to manually sniping. You could set your alarm clock again and get up in the middle of the night, something which I consider for the birds.

As another AS member, I can assure you: you will NOT be missed in these parts. Nice knowing ya {sound of door being held open}. Roll Eyes
Bids only get placed early when eBays servers are running slowly. We monitor how long it is taking eBay accept bids and bid accordingly.

I guarentee that if you try and manually go up against AuctionSniper on a Sunday night you're going to lose. Your bid wont even get in in time half the time if you are trying to manually snipe at 5 seconds.

We are placing hundreds of snipes an hour, many a minute. We know exactly how fast eBay is or isn't running. If eBay is running 10 seconds slow it would be irresponsible of us to not play your 5 second lead time snipe at 15 seconds. YES this does sometimes result in your snipe being placed somewhere between 5-15 seconds before the auction ends, rather than exactly 5 seconds. However the alternative is that your 5 second snipe is 3 seconds late because eBay is running 8 seconds slow. Thus your bid never gets placed.

I suppose we could offer a check box in account settings like:

"Place my bid exactly when I say to. Ignore the fact that AuctionSniper.com knows 100x more about sniping than I'll ever know and that my snipe will likely not end up getting placed at all in many case."
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper Sara B.:
Bids only get placed early when eBays servers are running slowly. We monitor how long it is taking eBay accept bids and bid accordingly.

I guarentee that if you try and manually go up against AuctionSniper on a Sunday night you're going to lose. Your bid wont even get in in time half the time if you are trying to manually snipe at 5 seconds.

Is that right? Well a friend & I tried that last night (sunday) he set up a A/S snipe & went manually ..... I won. Nice try.

We are placing hundreds of snipes an hour, many a minute. We know exactly how fast eBay is or isn't running. If eBay is running 10 seconds slow it would be irresponsible of us to not play your 5 second lead time snipe at 15 seconds. YES this does sometimes result in your snipe being placed somewhere between 5-15 seconds before the auction ends, rather than exactly 5 seconds. However the alternative is that your 5 second snipe is 3 seconds late because eBay is running 8 seconds slow. Thus your bid never gets placed.

I suppose we could offer a check box in account settings like:

"Place my bid exactly when I say to. Ignore the fact that AuctionSniper.com knows 100x more about sniping than I'll ever know and that my snipe will likely not end up getting placed at all in many case."

Another arrogant, we know everyrthing & make no mistakes reply ..... get over yourselves already.
That Jr. Sniper did sound arrogant and maybe we can bid him adieu, but I have to say that after 5 years of eBay sniping (and just recently subscribing to AS) that I have never experienced a problem by manually sumbitting a bid in the last 4 seconds of the auction. I too became very concerned when,on recent AS snipes, I saw how early my bids went in. It shakes my confidence in this system but I will continue to try it and hope that I don't experience a loss because of it. Words of confidence from more experienced AS users would be encouraging.

Gary
Just wanted to say that I had the same problem - however I did win my auction, buyers were able to respond to my AS bid and raise the price. SO my question is, if you said that if that guy woke up and placed the bid himself, he wouldn't be able to beat AS and place his bid 5 seconds as requested even though ebay was running 8 seconds slow. Then how did the guy respond to my AS bid if eBay was running slow?

What happened to me: My 5 second bid was placed 15 seconds early, the guy responded (his second bid) at 2 seconds left in the auction. How is this possible if ebay was running slow? Confused
Gary and chrisreef, it's been my experience with AS (and I've been here since AS was being developed) that the snipes are placed within a second or two of the set interval perhaps 95% of the time. AS is handling a double-edged sword; they monitor eBay to see if it's running slow and if so by how much, then they adjust bid times accordingly. Very often this is the only thing that gets the bid in, but sometimes it "backfires" because eBay has suddenly picked up the pace and is processing bids faster than they were two minutes before the close of the auction. Then the AS sniper's bid is inserted earlier than desired. (Why two minutes? Because that's how much time is left in an auction when AS queues up an AS sniper's bid and makes any adjustment it sees as necessary.)

There are two things to consider under such circumstances: is anybody watching for last-minute bids; and if so, will he/she have time to place a "counterbid?" I believe that situations involving "counterbids" are often a matter of pure coincidence, that is, the person placing such a bid either doesn't know or doesn't care that someone else has bid in the last seconds. It only looks like a counterbid, but isn't. I know there are people who can place a bid, and therefore a counterbid as well, in a very few seconds before the close of an auction. In my humble opinion, though, there aren't many.

Before you succumb to paranoia, remember one thing -- the other bidder doesn't know how much you bid, so the counterbid, if that's what it is, is placed "in the dark," so to speak. Go with your max bid and don't worry whether somebody else is going to bid closer to the end of the auction than you did. S/he may drive up your cost, but that would've happened even if your snipe had gone in exactly as scheduled.
Maybe a tiny handful of two-second bids are counterbids, but almost never. People who bid that late are snipers--like us! Whether they snipe manually or through a service such as AS, does not matter. They are deliberately waiting until the last possible seconds to place their bids. Like us, they know that many eBayers--especially newbies--do not bid their true max, and they are counting on that to avoid last-minute bidding wars. In short, they are employing the very same psyschology that we are. Some of them may even be other AS members.

Steve pointed out, and THIS IS WHAT I BELIEVE MANY FOLKS ARE OVERLOOKING, that the other sniper does NOT know how much your bid is. If you place a high bid, even one with five seconds remaining, your true max is not automatically revealed, only the amount necessary to make you the high bidder. For example, if the item is currently going for $26.50, and your snipe is for $35, your last-minute bid would simply raise the price to $27.50, not $35. If someone else puts in another last-minute bid for $30, then you would still win, but for $31. But if that other sniper placed a bid for $50, then there is no way you can win, since his snipe would raise the winning bid to $36, one increment above your snipe. That sniper had no way of knowing that you bid $35; he simply placed a snipe for a higher amount, and would have done so, regardless of whether or not you bid. The only difference would be in the precise amount paid by the winning sniper.

So, most of the time these are other snipers who were simply willing to pay more than you did. But people who do not understand how proxy bidding works see their own $35 snipe and the winning $36 bid and mistakenly conclude that the other member was responding to the AS snipe, outbidding it by a mere dollar. This misunderstanding is widespread on eBay. I have people who work with me, longtime eBayers, whine that they were outbid "by one freakin' dollar!" I have to explain to them that this is extremely unlikely, regardless of the final amount of thw winning bid. I even have a fellow AS sniper who last week told me the same thing. Even she did not understand proxy bidding! "But how could he know I would bid for $21.50?" she moaned.

This all points back to the same thing. Decide your max well in advance, then bid that at the very last second, through AS. If you win, great--and you will win most of the time, unless you are bidding pittances. But when you do lose, it is usually because someone else was willing to pay more than you were. Wink
Steve and Chatter;

Excellent advice. I think all newbies, and some oldbies, should print out your 2 posts and have them framed. I haven't been around as long as you two (I see Chatter has an anniversary coming up on the 1st, and no one has been around as long as Steve).

I just don't get some of these complaints. I have had nothing but a WONDERFUL experience with AS. Like everyone else, I use to place manual snipes. First I used a stop watch, then one of those radio controlled clocks that gets signals from the atomic clock in Boulder, CO. What a MAJOR disruption to me and my family's life. Having the laptop on the dinner table waiting to place a snipe; scheduling appointments to allow placing a snipe; interrupting a movie to place a snipe (although I never set the alarm clock to wake me up).

Also, there was the uncertainty that my manual snipe would get placed. Server having a problem; cable having a problem; ebay having a problem; who knows? having a problem. Every snipe was an exercise in seeing how much more stress I could add to my life.

After AS, all that was gone. Sooo nice.

I once had two snipes that were closing within a couple of seconds of each other. I was watching the auctions, or trying too. ebay went into a "spasm". Concerned that the snipes would not go thru, I attempted placing a proxy bid. The "spasm" prevented me from doing this (this "spasm" was around 11 AM on a Monday - not prime time. It lasted for 10 minutes and never appeared on ebay's system status page). AS successfully placed one of the snipes (I don't know how), but wasn't able to place the other one (understandable). It was amazing that AS placed the one snipe. Since that experience, I've become a born-again-ASer.

So, sometimes my 8 second snipe is place 15 or 20 seconds before the end of the auction. Big deal. One guy complains it was placed to early; another guy complains it wasn't placed at all. Such is life. EVERYTHING has both a positive and a negative result.

"To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." - Newton's Second Law

Grasshopper (better than a cricket)
There are many unique situations that cause snipes to be late unless sent to eBay much earlier. I dont want to go into them all because they are somewhat of trade secrets. Plus I dont even know them all, just a few that when the programmers tell me make perfect sense.

It's quite possible that you could place hundreds of snipes and never see one special case. But we're doing thousands of snipes a day and they pop up dozens - hundreds of times a day.

In all cases your snipe is ONLY placed early if we deem it neccessary to get your snipe in on time. It's never because our clocks are off or anything like that. If it gets in early it's because we meant for it to, and for a good reason.

The objective of course is for us to always get your snipes in at exactly when you wanted them, even when we are adding our padding for the special cases. It's just not an exact science, we cant control the speed of eBay, etc.

Hope that sheds a little light.
Yes, my one-year anniversary on AS Forums is coming up soon, though at that time I had been on AS for about two months already, when I finally got around to posting on the forums. Prior to that I was just a lurker. So I have been using the service for well over a year now, with extraordinary success. I don't know how I ever managed without it! Big Grin
I don't believe people can make responsive bids with less than 20 seconds to go. With my 56k modem I have to go flat out to place a bid in a minute.

However, I usually bid at least twice in an auction when I win, with my last bid very late. Sometimes I make two bids close to the end of an auction, just to confuse other bidders who don't know what they want to pay. So, if someone seems to respond with 5 seconds to go, perhaps it was me? Wink
Hi, Rosetsu! It is possible for some folks to place a bid in significantly less than 20 seconds, but I agree with you that a high-speed ISP like Comcast.Net makes it a lot easier. In the case of last-second bids, I believe they're more likely to have been placed, not as a reaction to some other sniper's bid, but rather as part of an independent plan to place a bid close to the end of the auction or, as you say, inadvertently because of a slow modem, eBay slowdown, or some other extraneous cause.
Last edited {1}

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.