Skip to main content

I cannot reveal the source, but this is a summary of the information I have been given:

My contact overheard a couple of ebay@ Directors - they are planning to launch a new format.

The changes they are bringing in next year are really an evolution of the original concept, designed to strengthen their dominance of the auction market place.

Essentially, the one, three, seven and nine day format will remain, but the major change is that you will not be able to place an immediate bid - this time is called "eview" and really constitutes viewing days. You can contact the seller and decide, as before, if you are interested in the item. Any bids you place will be in a similar format to the AS "snipe it now" box and will be placed for you randomly within the last 15 minutes (or bidding zone). If you prefer, you will be allowed to bid manually within that period.

It does have implications for Auction Sniper in that their concept has been essentially "hijacked"
but I am certain that Sarah can see a new marketing strategy here - "AS for reliable last second bids!"

As you can all appreciate, this turns ebay into an exact replica of a "real" auction. This business of early bidding wars that drove us all tto use AS is now not necessary - bids will be placed in a restricted period of time. Just like a real auction, we can jump in and bid at the last minute with a bid that trumps the others.

Now I know you will all press me for the origin of this news, but all I can tell you is that he works for a person who gets literally everywhere at this time of year.

Paul

And a Happy Xmas tou all - Nadolig Llawen as they say here in Wales
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

So for many days the price stays at $0. Then in the last 15 minutes eBay puts all the bids in?

Nah, I dont like it. I like all those manual bidders putting in bids so I can have an idea of what it's going to sell for and how much interest there is. Then I can do my snipe.

Known interest and bids is part of what drives up the prices on the items. That is what sellers like.

If anything it will be just another type of auction that can be choosen by the seller, such as fixed price, and eBay Stores. In that case I dont believe many sellers will use it and most auctions will continue to run as they do now as regular 1,3,5,7,10 day chinese auctions.
Last edited {1}

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.