Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mrs M - true dinks...its a Huntsman spider off the wall of my office!!! We dont squish those ones as they eat all the other insects etc and are harmless. So long as they stay outta the bedrooms they can stay.

Mory - he didnt loose his gas cap, they have special closures that are made of heavy duty rubber and you just push the filler head straight down into the tank. Big Grin The trees are *Ghost Gums* really gorgeous!! We have heaps of them around the house...they change colour all the time. From Yellow to nearly Pink

Boones - nice pics Smile I have plenty of toilet paper for all those nics in your face you will get from shaving Wink Congrats on the Promotion

Lexie
Last edited {1}
Well Jabber - he wont so impressed when I tried to measure him Razz but I held my hand up and got a good enough measurement for ya.

He is ...just over 7 inches wide (including leg span) and 4 inches long, he is kinda hairy. We dont have tarantula's here - they are seriously nasty anyways. Rule of thumb down under is the smaller the spider the nastier it is. Except for normal little money spiders etc.

Big Grin Are ya scareeeeed?

Lexie
Hello

I have been lurking on this board for about a month now, and decided it was time to make a post, since the topic kinda turned to aviation.

I thought some of you would like to see this ebay auction for a REAL F/A18 Hornet / Blue Angel aircraft. No it is not mine, y local news channel did a story on it last night, and showed actual pic of the aircraft for sale, the wings and landing gear are off of it and it needs reassembled. anyway here is a link ( hope it works ) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078059896

As for this site, I have attempted 1 snipe so far, however I did not win because I failed to follow all of your guy's advice, and broke your 1st rule. I did not bid my true maximum, and got beat out by a proxy bid. Snipe went off fine, just got out bid. That well never happen again

anyway enough ranting, check out that ebay link, I wonder what the listing and end of auction fee's well be???
WHAT?!?

I didn't know Aussie spiders got so BIG!
Lexie posted:
quote:
He is ...just over 7 inches wide (including leg span)
and 4 inches long, he is kinda hairy.

Do you mean INCHES or CM??? Eek
quote:
We dont have tarantula's here - they are seriously nasty anyways. Rule
of thumb down under is the smaller the spider the nastier it is. Except for
normal little monkey spiders etc.

Are ya scareeeeed?
What's a monkey spider?

US spiders don't get that big for the most part. In PA probably the
largest would be the Wolf Spider which can get maybe up to 2 or 2.5 inches
(5-7 cm) in diameter including legs. Not very common around here tho.
Don't know that I've every heard of huge spiders NOT being called tarantulas. Confused
And here I thought I knew pretty much about spiders! When I was a kid,
I had a pet black widow! Eek Hey! Where DO you think weird guys come
from -- they grow up from weird kids! Roll Eyes Razz
Probably the largest US native spiders can be found in Mrs.M's area.

Jabbergah                                                    
Here's some info on the Huntsman. I tried to measure him with the tape but he kept running away, so I just held my hand up near him and reckoned he was the same size as my hand span. LOL the second measurement (length) I forgot to convert to inches, so that would be just under 2 inches long and thats from the tip of his fang things to his tail. Not superly accurate, but I was scared he was gonna jump on me Eek

>>Spooky Spiders<<

>>More Hairy Spiders<<

quote:
What's a monkey spider?

Umm ..thats MonEY!! spider, you know those little fellas that run around everywhere and they say are good luck. Razz

quote:
And here I thought I knew pretty much about spiders! When I was a kid,
I had a pet black widow! Hey! Where DO you think weird guys come
from -- they grow up from weird kids!

You weird?? Naww - you have nothing on me Razz well on second thoughts...I never had a pet spider....hold on...that one I took a photo of I fondly refer to as "Harry" ..does that count as a pet?? Confused

Lexie
Last edited {1}
...the neat spider info, Lexie! I can't say that I was familiar with
the huntsman spider.

You posted:
quote:
I tried to measure him with the tape but he kept running away, so I just
held my hand up near him and reckoned he was the same size as my hand span.
I'm impressed! You're quite the lady, Lexie! Lot of ladies I know
would run screaming from the room, much less be trying to measure the spider! Eek
quote:
Umm ..thats MonEY!! spider, you know those little fellas that
run around everywhere and they say are good luck.
Money Spider? Never heard of them. Are they a real spider?
quote:
...I never had a pet spider....hold on...that one I took a
photo of I fondly refer to as "Harry" ..does that count as a pet??
Close enough!

When I was about 6 or 7, my sister got me a mounted brown tarantula. It
was sealed in a mounting box about 8 x 7 inches. Never named him, but that
guy accompanied me to many a show & tells at school! I still have him! Eek
Unfortunately, he hasn't aged well, a couple of his legs have fallen off! Frown
Hmmm....think he'd sell on ebay? Roll Eyes

Jabbergah                                                    
that spider Jabber!! I would give him to my boss for next Xmas Big Grin

Do you do "Mates Rates"? Razz

quote:
Lot of ladies I know
would run screaming from the room, much less be trying to measure the spider!

Well I was scared he would jump on me Eek the only thing I am really scared of is Mice. I squeal like a little girl and run when I see one Confused ...it comes from childhood trama...I had one run up my arm when I was dishing up my horse's dinner. I ran in crying my eyes out to my Mother who could only laugh. Roll Eyes

I used to be scared of snakes too, but now I know I am bigger and faster and the Shotgun or Shovel is Mightier!!! Big Grin

Lexie
...Lexie! Thanks! For some reason, the pic of the money spider didn't show up for me. I did a yahoo search and got some info & a picture. It talked about a species mainly in UK and showed a drawing of the web. The web style looks very much like a "Dome" spider here in the states.

Many spiders are virtually blind. They catch their prey mainly by feel in their web. Lexie, do the Huntsman spiders see? In other words, do they follow motion? For instance, when you were trying to measure him, did the spider turn & "look" at you?

Jabbergah                                                    
What a spider site! If you really want to get creeped out, look at the Brown Recluse bites! Eek

Eight eyes is common for spiders, typically not all the same size. Weird thing, know how the eyes of animals reflect light at night? The eyes of spiders that have well-developed eyes do too! I discovered that one night when I shone a flashlight on a jumping spider (adults are about 1/2 inch) on the ceiling that was looking at me -- the eyes glistened! Whoa! Eek Gives one the heebee-jeebees!

Jabbergah                                                    
Last edited {1}
A fairly new variety of spider over here is the "white tail", I dont know if its newly found here or just been identified - its bite is quite nasty. It fleshing eating/wasting venom and if you get bitten on say your left leg, years later the venom on your right leg in the same place can start wasting away. Confused OR so I have heard.

Lexie
quote:
originally posted by Jabbergah:
Eight eyes is common for spiders, typically not all the same size. Weird thing, know how the eyes of animals reflect light at night? The eyes of spiders that have well-developed eyes do too! I discovered that one night when I shone a flashlight on a jumping spider (adults are about 1/2 inch) on the ceiling that was looking at me -- the eyes glistened! Whoa! Gives one the heebee-jeebees!

My dad used to take us out on his boat to go "alligator spotting" at night (south-central Texas Coast area). There's a river that meanders through an area of salt-grass flats, and he's had a fishing house there for years.

So we'd get out on the flat-bottom boat and glide around as quietly as possible, shining a Q-beam spotlight at the banks of the river. And we always saw thousands of tiny little reflections, which he said were spider-eyes. Didn't always see many gators, but I sure learned a lot about the stars on nights like that. Then on the way back he'd rev-up the engine and we'd all sit backwards (except him, of course) and watch the phosphorescent flashes as the jelly-fish protested being bumped by the boat...

Amazing how much you can see when you can get away from the city lights and go to a place that's truly dark...

Last edited {1}
Dave: Why the correction i'm stil LOL... mory

Lexi: When I was reporting for Stars & Stripes I did a story on Australian Jet Pilots and they gave me my first Jet Ride at a little strip on the Southern tip of Japan I think it was called Iwakuni. I didn't get sick but when we landed they made me drink a bottle of warm Victoria Bitter.. and I thought surely I would die. They dubbed me :EarBASH" as I talked too much. I still use Bloke and HOOROO for goodby,,oh yes and Cobber for friend, mory
Nice cars, Lexie! Especially the gold/orange one. Should I thank Tyler, too, for helping you post? Big Grin
One of the Falcons (the 1967) will be going in to have the engine rebuilt this coming week. That's if the repairman gets his car dolly back. He lent it to someone to take to Texas and it should be back in a few days.
Maybe we should bookmark this thread so it can be pulled out of the archives and revived next Halloween. All those spiders are enough to give a person bad dreams. Eek Black widows are pretty common around here. I used to kill them all the time until somebody bought the place next door and finally cleaned out their shed.
We have plenty of bats, too. They're just little fuzzy animals with wings. Have you ever watched them fly? They keep changing direction, kind of like a bird would if it got drunk. Speaking of birds, I need to wash the car tomorrow. The birds have been using it for target practice again. Frown

[This message was edited by Falcon Gal on February 14, 2004 at 06:06 PM.]
Last edited {1}
You should be thankful you dont have Pelicans flowing over heard Christine!! We have a few of them flying around at the moment and if they happen to find *target* - its all over!!! I think the last one I had nearly covered the whole windscreen!! Confused

For a *Ford* that isnt a bad car at all. Razz I am quite partial to the little black number though, but I like the orange too.

My dream car:

Lexie
Last edited {1}
That green car's really nice, too.
The car decorators were most likely ravens. There were quite a few of them where I parked and they were probably waiting for me to park just so they could have their fun. Frown
I've seen pelicans on cartoons. I'm picturing someone trying to explain to their insurance company that they had a crash because a Pelican decided to bomb their car and they couldn't see. They probably hear lots of strange stuff. Razz

Last edited {1}
Hot House Green Monaro!!!(insert Homer drool)

I would love to be an insurance accessor, well for a day anyways. Imagine the stories you would hear!!! .....

"But - I didnt have TIME to apply my makeup for I left for work!!! I only looked away for a second to put my eyeliner on when I back there was a cow on the road. I think I did well - I missed the cow, I never noticed that fence before. Has that been there long?"

Lexie
One of these days I'd like a green car, too. A dark green pickup truck (I think you call them Utes) would be nice. But with two Falcons (one running) and a daily driver car it would be really hard to justify. Big Grin
I've heard that if someone hits and kills an elk on the road that they get to keep it. With a cow the owner would probably get it. Not that it makes much difference to me. I've been a vegetarian for about 15 or 16 years. Razz

...the repost, Mrs.M. Other than the pukey green color Razz, its a pretty sporty looking car! Obviously something Lexie will get after Tyler's out of college! Eek Wink Also don't know where she's gonna put all that stuff she needs to schlepp around all the time?

Jabbergah                                                    
Mory, yes it was not easy. She and the others had to go through a battery of tests that you would not believe. They are in the smithsonian...the 10 of them! She was a weird kid when she was young! She is a lot younger than I am. I remember she was gazing at stars when the other girls were gazing at boys! LOL!

I hit two deer in 2000 so went out and bought
three whistlers and mounted them on the front bumper. Deer are suppose to hear them for miles and RUN.
Two weeks later I saw three deer coming acrosss the devider - I said, OMG that man is going to hit one of those deer - so I slowed down. He did, and the deer went 30 ft in the air and came down on my hood and windshield and I went off the road in the grass.
I gotta say this for my Insurance company they never cancelled me OR raised my rate. Don't bother with the wistlers - they are worthless.
Last edited {1}
Pfffff - here I thought you had taste Jabber!!!

Thats the reason I didnt get one this time - No room Frown besides they are still selling for up around $50,000.

quote:
People are sue crazy around here, too. Did you hear about the lawsuit not too long ago where some people were suing a fast food place for making them fat?

Yessss I did Christine. Thats one of the times us Aussies Roll Eyes and say "Only in America" (which is one of our favorite sayings Razz )

Lexie

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.