Skip to main content

I wanted to get you guys' opinion on this...

I saw a doll I wanted to bid on UNTIL I saw the shipping price - $15! That's as much as the item itself! I know some people charge handling too but IMO $15 is ridiculous. I'm definitely not bidding...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2966909256&category=243

Take care,
~Shannon :-)~
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You're right ShoptillIdrop, you should always know the S&H price before bidding. I've read too many horror stories about auctions not listing the price up front.

I once paid $8 to a seller for S&H when the item I won was only two 2" dolls. I found it ridiculous but since I knew about it beforehand and bid, I couldn't complain. I wouldn't have bid though if I hadn't needed them to complete a collection.

Sadly, I find that most sellers are overcharging for shipping these days. I understand that boxes and padded envelops cost money too, and I have no problem with that. What I DO have a problem with is when people charge for their "time." Sorry but no ones time is that important IMO.

Ok, just had to rant, thanks for reading!

Take care,
~Shannon :-)~
I find it really strange to look at the shipping/handling costs over there.

Here in Australia - the majority (of sellers dont add on a handling charge I havent seen any that do in all my buyings) and just charge the buyer straight postage (shipping) costs.

Its bad to the point where if I was to charge $3.20 (standard light item postage) and the item happened to post for $1.20 - look out me. I might be in line for a neutral for overcharging or I will get a not so pleasant email.

When the shoe is on the other foot though....I charge $3.20 and Australia Post happens to cube that item and it costs me $8.50 instead..I bet the buyer sits there and laughs to themself..."Ripped her off"!!

Lexie
Hi everybody, I'm still around.

I got caught out really badly in similar circumstances.

The seller didn't advertise his shipping costs and I neglected to ask until I'd committed to buying the item. The shipping charge was US$78.00, yes that's US$78.00! Being also in Australia, and having no idea of postage rates in the US, I paid up, only to find (when I received the item) that postage was actually US$35.00! All emailled requests to the seller for an explanation were ignored.

My policy now is not to deal with "commercial" sellers in the US.

The moral of this story is: always ask for the shipping cost before bidding if it's not mentioned in the listing or you may (will!) get burnt!!!

GG
Yes, you certainly should find out the shipping costs before you bid. It is part of the total cost of the item. On the seller's side, I try to quote as close as I can in my auctions. Sometimes I over estimate. In that case, if it is substantial, I credit the buyer back. If, on the otherhand, I under estimate, my problem, I swallow it. I guess I go by what I would want if I were a buyer. It will make you money in the long run.
And, Garden, glad to see you back!! Smile
Last edited {1}
I have gotten into the habit of seeing how much shipping is before I even read the item description...=_= A lot of times sellers will ask for a lot for the shipping cost, and it makes me wonder why. Even priority mail shipping with confirmation shouldn't cost over $10 for a small item. I generally won't bid if I feel I might be getting ripped off. And when I sell things, I always make sure to give potential buyers a very fair shipping rate. No need to pay more than needed for something like shipping, right? Considering sometimes, you are trying to get a good bargain for something, but then the shipping cost is higher than usual for an item of that size. Sure it's going to cost more to ship a heavy item than a small one, it's always been that way. But mostly I bid on small plush dolls that don't even weigh a pound...so when I see "$10.00 shipping" I pretty much have to turn the other way and keep looking...

*~samuraiblossom~*
I made the mistake ONCE of not asking what shipping costs would be before bidding on a pair of earrings. The earrings were $5.00. The seller told me it would be $3.50 for shipping, which I assumed was priority (this was last year before the rates went up). Wasn't I surprised when the earrings arrived wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a padded envelope with a .57 first class metered stamp attached! Eek The way I figure it was maybe .25 for the tiny piece of bubble wrap, $1.00 for the envelope and .57 for the postage. Not even $2.00. I emailed the seller to complain about the overcharge and her explanation was that she charges ALL her buyers $3.50. Some cost her less to mail and some more so it "balances out." I got overcharged for shipping in order to pay for someone else's package?? I was mad to say the least.
Gardengnome,
It's a day set aside for giving thanks for the good things that you have, the good things that have happened all year and are happening now, the friends you have, and whatever is good in your life. Smile It originally started out as a day to give thanks for the harvest and the fact that people had made it through the last year. It's a day to get together with friends and family and feast. That's pretty much what it's for.
--Christine

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.