Skip to main content

Here is the bidding history from ebay. Now, I understand me losing to a higher bidder, that's fair play, what I dont' understand, is how a "proxy" (which I assume a1288w is) could bid BEFORE me, yet never show up on the bidding list, until the end of the auction. Anyone have any insights on this?

Bidding History (Highest bids first)
User ID Bid Amount Date of Bid
a1288w( 34) US $12.21 03-Dec-03 13:21:34 EST
avonbusse( 3 ) US $11.71 03-Dec-03 17:55:13 EST
mtlmotorfan( 45) US $5.50 03-Dec-03 10:50:06 EST
happypainter36( 243) US $5.00 30-Nov-03 16:47:34 EST

Remember that earlier bids of the same amount take precedence.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here is another item we were bidding on (me and the guy who outbid me via proxy somehow). This time I won via AS. Guess I bid high enough!!

Bidding History (Highest bids first)
User ID Bid Amount Date of Bid
avonbusse( 3 ) US $13.75 03-Dec-03 18:01:15 EST
a1288w( 34) US $13.25 03-Dec-03 13:22:19 EST
kaka786( 0 ) US $10.00 01-Dec-03 11:10:21 EST
mtlmotorfan( 45) US $7.50 03-Dec-03 10:50:29 EST

Remember that earlier bids of the same amount take precedence.
1288 was there with a bid of $12.21 (or more).

It's just that the current price of the item (before your bid) was $6.00 because that is one bid increment above the next highest bid.

We'll never know what 1288's max bid was. It could have been $20.00 or more. The price an item sells for is not the max bid, it's one bid increment above the next highest bid.

Avb3,

The first auction doesn't look unusual at all. It's pretty straight forward, as a matter of fact. The winning bidder placed a bid BEFORE you that was higher than the amount you bid via AuctionSniper.

Background: this auction was a 7-day, first minimum bid was $5.

About 3 days before the end of the auction, Happy placed a $5 bid (the first bid!). If you would've looked at the auction at this point, it would show 1 bid placed, winning bid at $5, and winning bidder as Happy.

About 7 hours before auction end, Mtlmotor place a $5.50 bid. If you looked at auction screen at this point: shows 2 bids placed, winning bid at $5.50, winning bidder Mtlmotor.

About 4.5 hours before auction end, A12 places a bid that we can't know, EXCEPT that we know it is AT LEAST $12.21. If you looked at the auction screen as this point: shows 3 bids placed, winning bid at $6.00, winning bidder A12.

About 8 seconds before auction end, Avon places a snipe bid of $11.71. Avon is outbid via proxy by A12. If you looked at auction screen at this point: shows 4 bids placed, winnning bid at $12.21, winning bidder A12. And thats how it ends.

Not sure I understand your statement that A12 didn't appear until after the auction end. A12 should've been displayed as the winning bidder between 4.5 hours from the end of the auction and when your snipe was placed.

Hope this helps. Congrats on your successful snipe!

I'm no expert at these things, but didn't that sterling nut bowl have a major case of tarnish going on?! Eek I think I would've polished the thing up in hopes of getting a better price! Wink

Jabbergah
I agree, the dish had a LOT of tarnish, but I had bought a salt and pepper set from the same seller, and both the dish and the creamer and sugar holder that I won came from the same collection. It took a bit of elbow grease to clean the salt and pepper set, but they came out beautiful... I don't think the lady who owned them originally had ever cleaned them. I expect the same with the items I won, as well as the one I didn't. I really don't understand why anyone would try and sell items unless they appear in top notch shape, but my gain, their loss.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Hi Avb3!

Re: purchasing the tarnished sterling. Guess it's like buying a "fixer-upper" house, putting some sweat equity into it, then having something of greater value!

Glad to hear your purchases from that collection turned out so nice after a little elbow grease.

Maybe the poor old lady needs the cash fast and doesn't have the time or energy to clean up everything before selling it?! Now don't you feel guilty for not bidding higher! Roll Eyes Wink

Snipe on!

Jabbergah Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.