Skip to main content

I've never posted here before but I just had a strange thing happen. I got an email from AS that I had won a Beatles My Guitar Gently Weeps tie!! Now, it's a nice item but I am absolutely positive I didn't snipe it. My husband hasn't worn ties in years and I was only sniping one item, that hasn't come up yet and was still on my list. So I owe someone $19 for something I never wanted to bid on, and had never even seen before! Has this ever happened to anybody?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That almost happened to me a couple of times.
When I copied the item number off of ebay, my fingers transposed a number. I had a lot of snipes working, and I almost missed the fact that the gizmo was not the gizmo I wanted. Luckly, it was on AS and I was able to cancel the bad item and resnipe on the good one. Another time it was only one number off of the one I wanted. Again I let my fingers do the walking in the wrong direction. I would have AS check the history of your problem. Good luck.

"Shop" and My Snipes
I checked, and it's listed in your AuctionSniper.com account.

The only way it could happen is if you perhaps typed in the wrong item # when bidding on something else. Have you placed a max bid of $21.51 on any other items recently?

Or the other possiblity is you left yourself logged into AuctionSniper on a public computer at work or the library maybe and someone added a snipe to your account.

Last but not least is someone could have gotten your sniper username and password somehow. That's not too likely.

It's also possible that it's a bug on this end, but we've placed millions of snipes and havent seen it happen. If it is a bug it's some super rare thing.

I'd suggest contacting the seller and see if they can make a second chance offer to the 2nd highest bidder so that you dont need to purchase.
If someone were to hack a person's password on ebay, it would be extraordinary for them to try to sign onto any, let alone the right, sniping service. They would first have to determine that their victim was a sniper. Sure, they could look at the bid histories, but that would take extra effort. Even if they looked at the bid histories, how would they distinguish between a manual sniper, a person using sniping software, or a person using a sniping service?

If someone were to go thru all that effort, would they then place a single snipe for just $19? I don't think so.

If a password was hacked, it would be more likely that the hacker would place several last minute bids or BINs directly thru ebay. Why go thru AS? Why take the time to figure out how to place an AS snipe? Why risk the victim seeing the snipe on their "My Snipes" page?

If this were to happen, this would have to be one very dedicate hacker, but also one that doesn't like to cause his victims too much pain and suffering.

DISCLAIMER - not in fine print
I'm not saying that anyone is suggesting this scenario, and I don't know how a hacker's mind works, but I thought I throw this out to stimulate the discussion.

I only bring this up because it seems highly probable that the auction #'s were transposed.

P.S. The answer to Mrs. M's last question is "yes".
Rick, I agree with you. If I were stealing an Ident, I would make it a big purchase item and then use the stolen ident to pay for it immediately. Then take immeditate possession of it. Knowing that the info will get back to the bidder quickly, you would have to work very quickly. Do you have any children at home that could have played with the computer behind your back? That is another possibility. Roll Eyes

"Shop" and My Snipes
Sorry! Disregard my last post. I didn't realize you used Snipe it Now!

You have ME stumped! Confused

Along the same lines, today I noticed I had a snipe scheduled on an item ending in 6 days. It was a type item I do occasionally snipe. The thing is, the snipe amount was TWICE what I typically use?!? I modified the amount (no harm done) and figured that I just mistyped the amount. Now with Wendy's situation, I wonder?!? Confused

Getting paranoid! Roll Eyes

Jabbergah
quote:
Originally posted by wendyzhere:
I've changed my password and user id now, but still can't figure out how this happened.

I know this advice is late in coming, but it might help someone else. I can't see any advantage to changing your user ID. Especially since it's very visible in ebay, and a hacker could easily find your new ID. Also, you get a new user icon attached to you (I think that is still the case). Only need change your password. Throw in random #'s and letters and special characters and make it a large password would do the trick.
Another way this can happen is if the eBay seller revises the items descritpion and title and puts up a totally different item. I've seen this happen many times.

With 0 bids with 2-3 days left the seller panics and decides to try and save his 35 cent listing fee and revises the auction to put up something totally different. It's against eBays rules but this happens thousands of times a week.

If you always bid with .88 that probably didnt happen here, and I didnt check to see if the items description had been revised either. I'll go and check and see when that bid was placed.
At first I was thinking that you simply entered in the wrong item number or something of that nature, but it appears to me that perhaps the item you were sniping was taken off the eBay listing, and the listing number was given to this auction (like Sniper Sara B. said). It seems to be the only logical explanation...that or the scarey fact that someone used your eBay ID to bid. Though it still seems a bit odd that they not only used your ID but also used AS... Confused I don't know a lot about these kinds of things, since I never had this situation happen to me before. Though I have noticed that sometimes eBay shows on my MY EBAY page this list of other items I may be interested in...and they have nothing to do with items I search for...I always wondered about that. It's like someone else gets on my name and does some searches... Eek Though I do believe eBay just lists random things in that list. Most of the time I keep it hidden since I find it very unnceccessary. Anyway, I'm sure with a bit of probing you can find an answer to how you won this widget.

*~samuraiblossom~*

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.