Skip to main content

About two weeks ago I had a feedback rating of (5) all positive. I've bought many items since then and now I have a feedback rating of (5) all positive. I have a seller ID for my store and all my buyers get positive feedback IMMEDIATELY...within an hour. Some of the items I've purchased have been DVD's and stuff, and when the seller has a rating like (57588) I can understand it (maybe...one seller gave me automated + feedback...very cool) but I also bought a computer for $500+ and paid in 5 minutes and after a couple of days, still no feedback. Almost evey time I've posted feedback, I've gotten a separate e-mail thanking me for the feeback.

Ebay feedback is becoming some kind of unique animal in the world of selling and buying mdse. For example, someone with a terrible credit rating can kind of "start over" on Ebay...even though in the outside world they have no or bad credit, a golden feedback rating on Ebay may make them feel better about it and maybe even establish good trading habits that will lead to a better credit rating in the future. As a seller, I've shipped items to buyers who have really high feedback ratings before I've recieved the check. I wouldn't do it on something I couldn't afford to lose, but I've never regretted it. In fact, I've sold 12 or 13 items since I began a few weeks ago and all my buyers have been exemplary.

Does anyone else have the problem about not receiving feedback?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've ALWAYS made it a habit to leave feedback, either immediately after receiving payment or an item (depending on whether I was a buyer or a seller in the situation). It's just a big part of being courteous on eBay. I love getting feedback, so that's why I'm always sure to do the same for others. Sometimes, it takes MONTHS for someone to leave me a feedback...in a few rare cases, I get none. I've never received any neg. feedbacks, so I'm sure the people I deal with feel confident in buying from me or me buying from them (I mostly buy on eBay, though I do sell from time to time). Of course, the silliest things occur when people leave a neutral comment that really makes you wonder why they didn't just leave a pos., but that's another issue....o_o

*~samuraiblossom~*
Feedback on Ebay has become sort of a ransomness thing. I leave you good feedback because if I tell it like it is, you'll probably retaliate and so on it goes. I, like everyone else read feedback and appreciate it, but I am also learning to glean through it more than I used to do. Then, there is the person that sells something to someone that does'nt have his head screwed on too tight. The seller hasn't sold much, but does a good job of it. The buyer gives bad feedback for no reason and it take virtually forever to get your rating back up. ANd so it goes... Roll Eyes

Mrs.M

Some people just don't give feedback. Some people do it immediately upon receiving payment. Others wait till the OTHER persons leaves feedback. Others wait a bit and then leave feedback.

As a buyer, it's simple. I leave feedback when I get my stuff and check it out to make sure it is all hunky-dory.

As a seller, I debated this issue for a while and decided what I thought was best for me.

I am a firm believer a transaction is NOT over until the item is shipped and received and the buyer is content with their purchase... and if they are not content, then until everything is resolved as best as possible.

In the "your-item-has-been-shipped" email I send each of my buyers I indicate that I'd appreciate if they'd email me when they receive the item to let me know they received it and are satisified. I indicate if they prefer to leave positive feedback instead of writing, that is fine too. I also indicate in that same email to please email before leaving feedback if there is ANY problem so we can work it out.

If I do not hear from them or see feedback from them within 2 weeks of the ship date, then I go ahead and post feedback. My rationale is that 2 weeks is usually plenty of time for the item to have arrived and been inspected. Sometimes I notice the buyer will THEN post feedback... one of those who likes to wait for the OTHER person to leave feedback first... which is fine.

It's an extra administrative headache for me to do things this way. Leaving feedback immediately upon receiving payment is easier, but for me it just doesn't feel right. I use a spreadsheet to keep track of all my sales, and there is a column in it to remind me to leave feedback.

Occasionally I will even make the effort of writing to make sure they received their item... especially if they were someone I'd exchanged a few pleasant emails with. But most of the time I assume after 2 weeks, no news is good news.

So... whomever posted this thread (sorry I've forgotten since I started writing this), hang in there. You may still get feedback from some of those sellers. If not, you will from others.

Good luck.

diva (aka Dag)
Whenever I pay, I always leave a note saying something like, "As I am a recently active (or new, depending on circumstance) eBayer, I would appreciate your feedback! Thanks!"

If you pay via PayPal, it's easy enough to add the note, and it appears in the seller's e-mail along with the payment notice.

It serves as a kind of plea to the seller to give you feedback, since you don't have 10,000 feedback points, and could use a few. Also, note that you don't ask for *positive* feedback, because that puts off a seller. Let the seller decide what kind of feedback you deserve Smile

--Rob
Feedback can be a vicous thing. As a seller I would never leave feedback right away, especially if you accept checks or paypal as payment. My parents have adopted the wait until they recieve a positive until they leave it belief as a seller because of a couple nasty situations. They had one buyer that paid by check. They waited 14 days, sent the item and left + feedback. On day 20 they got the ISF notice from the bank. The buyer already had his positive, and the item. He refused to pay their NSF fee. Another buyer paid via paypal and had buyer's remorse. He told paypal that he never recieved it. Paypal refunded his money even though my parents had emails from him saying he got the item. They had already left positive in this case as well.. Like I said in another post, feedback is overrated.
As a "newbie" I find Feedback very important. For one, because I'm only allowed to sell "1" item until I have 30 positive feedbacks or am a member for 14 days. I know there are some sellers that just don't leave feedback at all and I don't understand this, especially when someone leaves it for you. For example, a seller I just ordered a poster from. When I checked his feedback I noticed that he didn't leave feedback for ANY of his buyers. It's not like it takes a lot of your time either. Oh well, that's their business I guess. I still will leave feedback for him though, when the poster arrives. Even if he doesn't feel feedback is important, I do.

Take care,
~Shannon :-)~
Good morning all! Yes, Mrs. M, I am in the US and I do think the restrictions have gotten tighter. When my cousin sold stuff a few years ago, she was able to list as many things as she wanted. Even got her first few listings free. Smile
At least eBay isn't like Yahoo auctions. You can only bid on 5 items or less until you have a certain amount of feedback.

Take care,
~Shannon :-)~
Note:
You must have a feedback rating of 10 or more (or be ID Verified) to list your item in a Fixed Price listing with a quantity of one. To create a Fixed Price listing with a quantity of two or more, you must have a feedback rating of 30 or more and be a registered user for at least 14 days (or be ID Verified).

Fixed priced items and multiple items in this catagory are the only ones I could find that you need feedback to use. Regular auctions are as they always have been.

If I'm the seller I wait til I know the buyer has received the item. If they email me and let me know it was received or leave feedback for me, then I'll go ahead and leave it for them. Or if enough time has gone by and I haven't heard anything I'll leave it. I'm just paranoid someone is going to leave me negative or neutral (not that I deserve it Big Grin) after I've already left positive for them.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.