Skip to main content

Why am I here on the forum? I have lost yet another auction because of sniping.
Now, I figure that I can:
* remain beaten
* join them
* try and stop it

I think that ebay should be made to change their auction system so that auctions are automatically extended in the event of a bid within the last five minutes. Fairmarkets (aka freeserve auctions, dabsxchange etc) do this. It's not rocket science.

Surely this would make it a "level playing field" for us all.

I for one to not want to be force to cheat like everyone else, I just want a fair deal.

Paul Frown
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

And, why do you think snipeing is cheating? Because you lost? There is one fact I know for sure. The person with the highest bid wins. In case of a tie, the highest , soonest. So, if you do not want to snipe, which is actually just placing your highest bid at the last possible moment, then bid the most you want to pay and if it is enought you win..bingo! Believe it or not, snipers come in here everyday complaining they lost to a proxy bid. That's not rocket science either. But, at any rate, like snipeing or not, WELCOME to our forum!! Smile

Last edited {1}
Specul,

You got it all wrong! You didn't lose any auction because of sniping. You lost auctions because you didn't bid HIGH ENOUGH!

Sniping auctions is not some magic scheme to win auctions. It is simply a bid strategy that allows bidders to hid their interest in an item and shield their maximum proxy bid from probing until the very last few seconds of an auction. Regardless, the truism is: bidders that win auctions are the ones that BID THE MOST, no matter whether they bid in the FIRST few minutes of an auction, or they bid in the LAST few minutes of an auction! Sniping doesn't GUARANTEE a win, but in some cases it can increase the odds of a win. I've been sniping for over a year or so, and have LOST more sniped auctions than won (because I'm a CHEAPSKATE looking for great deals!)

I seriously doubt that there any SNIPERS who have never lost a sniped auction! In fact, one of the most common questions raised on this forum is some sniper asking WHY they lost some specific auction! (Wish I could link you here to a detailed auction analysis I did in another topic in which the sniper LOST to 2 manually placed bids by the same bidder. Rick?)

If you spend anytime reading posts on this forum, you'll discovery that quite a few bidders using this service are sophisticated and well-experienced in ebay auctions, both buying AND selling, cheap & inexpensive items. They ARE NOT cheating. They are simply using a bid strategy that they've found works for them! Besides, once you start using AuctionSniper, you find that bidding on auctions is simplified.

Also, if you spend anytime reading posts on this forum, you'll discover that MINE are the LONGEST!
Wink

Jabbergah Cool
Wow! I went to your link of sniping info. What a great site, complete with additional links to MORE good information! Englandboy had an interesting collection of "anti-snipisms". Newbies to Sniping &/or Ebay should be required to surf those sites for a day before being allowed to post on the AS forum. Wink Of course, then we wouldn't have any questions to answer! Wink

I'm pleasantly surprised by the resources on this forum, either personal answers or links to sites with articles & more information. This seems to be a very effective method for training newbies! Smile

Snipe on!

Jabbergah Cool
I agree with the previous notes. I've lost a lot of snipes only because I will not pay that much for an item. I like AS, because it bids the same way I do at a live auction, and have for years. I have bid live for everything from cars to cattle, sheep, land and estate sales. This has always been my way. I wait and see where things are going, then make my bid (If it is within the price I will pay). I have won some and lost quite a lot because I am not rich. I have always bid my max in one big bid. I was delighted to find AS via a seller who had the banner.
AS allows me to place my max bid at the last few seconds, win or lose. It lets me cancel my bid if it goes too high, or I find something better. It has bid groups that I am always using. I love the service it provides for only penneys. Cool

"Shop"
quote:
I think that ebay should be made to change their auction system so that auctions are automatically extended in the event of a bid within the last five minutes.
That would mean that those watching the auction - i.e., last minute bidders - would still be able to put in a last minute snipe in the last few mins. of the auction. So how would extending the auction by 5 mins. prevent manual snipers??

There's been times when I have an AS snipe set because I don't want to miss the end of the auction. If I'm at my computer and remember I'm sniping an auction at that time, I'll go to the auction page and watch AS do it's work. If ebay did have the "extend 5 mins." option you suggest, and I was watching the auction, I would simply put in another manual snipe in the last 30 seconds of the 5 min. extension providing I'm willing to raise my max. bid. Like others here have said, it's not the last bid that wins, it's the HIGHEST bid. It's not rocket science. Roll Eyes
Last edited {1}
Since this is a rhetorical topic (ebay isn't going to change) on ebay bidding rules, I also have a suggestion (of course) that would greatly increase the ebay experience (APPLAUSE).

Ebay needs to limit the number of bids that any one bidder can place on an auction. I suggest that two bids should be the limit. I suggest this for the following:
1) Two would allow for BIN stomping.
2) I'm ashamed of my species (no cheap shots, now) when I see someone change their mind in public more then once (other then politicians, with is a whole different discussion).

Now, I know for all those nibblers out there, being this decisive can be very traumatic. They don't have that much, if any, experience in deciding what something is worth, so they base their value of an item on what others view it. With that in mind, I purpose implementing this in phases.
Phase 1) Nibblers can have up to 25 bids on any 1 auction for the first month.
Phase 2) Nibblers can have up to 15 bids for the second month.
Phase 3) Nibblers can have up to 5 bids for the third month.
Phase 4) Nibblers can have up to 2 bids after that (cold-turkey phase).

For some this will be an extremely difficult adjustment period. Perhaps someone can come up with a nibbler patch that can be placed on the arm to avoid nibble withdrawal symptoms. We could get a group therapy section going for addicted nibblers. We could also have a group devoted to the family members of nibbler addicts. Perhaps 4 phases are unrealistic and a better approach would be a Nibbleroholic Anonymous (NA) with a 10 step program toward nibbler sobriety. If successful, the Nibbleroholic Anonymous Group (Nag) or the American Nibbleroholic Anonymous Group (A Nag) or Universal Nibbleroholic Anonymous Group (U Nag) could be formed. Maybe Nibbler Farms with slow speed access could be started on Mars.

Of course, there would be those that would fall off the wagon, and go back to closet nibbling (using more then one ebay ID). I'll be the first to admit that I haven't solved all the problems. But I see the nibbler issue as THE major social problem of the first decade of this century.

HELP STAMP OUT NIBBLING NOW

Buried inside of every nibbler, is a rational person trying to get out.

speculatrix,
Pay no attention to me. They don't let me out very often.

Last edited {1}
Ok, I'm late...but anyway, I don't understand the logic behind making sniping impossible. Besides, there is really no way for eBay to prevent such a thing. Some people classify sniping as being in the last second...others the last minute...others the final hour. And personally, I feel nibblers are ten times worse than snipers. They're the ones who drive up the price and whatnot. Snipers are only bidders who know what they are doing. If you go around bidding without a strategy, you are likely to lose an auction and feel sour about it later. Just my two cents. I could go on and on about this, but I want to keep things short and simple. That and it's been a bad week so I'll be quiet now... Confused

*~samuraiblossom~*
Speculatrix: The five minute extension rule does not create a "level playing field", it gives an unfair advantage to the minority who have five minutes free time when the autcion finishes.

Rick: What is BIN stomping? Sounds fun. Smile

Why do you, a committed sniper, want to end nibbling? Confused

Nibblers always underbid against a snipe, so surely you want to give them lots of encouragement. Wink

So remember, all you nibblers out there, you might get a bargain if there is an Ebay glitch just when those snipes try to go in. Keep nibbling! Big Grin
Hehehe...it's "arigatou gozaimasu". Big Grin I study a bit of Japanese in my spare time, and watch a lot of anime...go figure. Wink I love the geisha icon, Mrs. M! Smile Ah yes, and some good humor there, Rosetsu. Big Grin Well, I have an auction ending in a few hours...no doubt nibblers are going to pop up at the last second and create a bid war...x_x I find this happening more and more often now. The nibblers come out in the last 10 minutes, I guess they boycotted making bid wars last from the auction's start...=_=

*~samuraiblossom~*
Samura, my youngest son went to school in Japan and speaks Japanese along with Several Chinese dialects. Pretty, but difficult languages to master. People in the same country can't understand each other!

I cannot translate what you have written BTW.

[This message was edited by Mrs.M on November 24, 2003 at 04:06 PM.]

[This message was edited by Mrs.M on November 24, 2003 at 04:08 PM.]
Last edited {1}
Hi Shop,
I think you should be grateful to those nibblers. They are keeping your sellers in business. Wink

I have the opposite problem. Most of the items I want finish with multiple snipes, so I have no idea what the final price will be. I have to be careful too, because sometimes they put in bumper snipes which are wildly high. They assume that noone else will try the same strategy, which is dangerous unless they have deep pockets. Frown

The moments I love are when the item ends with no late nibblers and no other snipes. Wonderful moments when I cannot believe my luck. Cool
It is one thing to keep the item listed by nibling, and totally something else to run the price over retail and the nearest store. If that is keeping the sellers in business, I think I would prefer to patronize my local business. My idea of buying on eBay is to either buy something I can not get normally, or the buy something at a reasonable price to avoid the gas cost to go into town to get it.
So..To each his own, and not to destroy anyone elses pleasure.

"Shop" and My Snipes
Compai!!! (***urp***)
As for nibbling I disagree with abolishing it. That is part of what makes e-bay fun. You have to stratigise and out move your opponets. Ebay is not a shop it is an auction. Sniping is one way to out maneuver your bidding fellows. Everyone is out for a bargan if you really want it go to the used stuff store and buy it outright. If you want the bargan play the game. It's like gambling but getting a prize every time you loose money!! Smile

One thought on this though would be an addition of going1 going2 going3 sold. At the end of the auction time. maby add 30 seconds for any additional bids. The high bid wins. it's good for the sellers. Buyers may reach their monitary limits faster but thats the gamble it's the game.
thats my 3 cents.

Sniper rating <-FG->
Good point Mrs.M, It's really a personal preference. Ebay created a product that ends the auction at a pre determined time. Live auctions in person are quite exciting expecially when the item you end bid 5000 on after 30 or so bids in a painfully slow going once going tw... new bid for the last 15 minutes actually ended up going for over 75K. (I diddn't know the desk was once owned by a famous writer it just looked like a nice desk.) Then there are those sandbaggers who are much like the snipers who wait until the last minute to place their bids. actually I like the definate end time. Or It could be the one who can stay up the latest wins. That would really.... not be good I would never sleep.

Sniper rating <-FG->

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.