Skip to main content

I've done a fair number of manual snipes in the past, and am trying AS because I'm tired of the rush of blood and heart thumping associated with trying to guess when exactly to hit the "Send" button of the bid window as I continually refresh the item window.

So, for my first go at this, I have a few questions. I've read through many threads here and feel pretty confident about the AS service. But there seem to be a few glitches.

First Q: for my 3 free snipes, I don't have to give any credit information, yes? I just want to make sure the snipe goes through. AS didn't request any payment information.

Second Q: I've read much information on snipes placed too early, and am wondering if a 5:46 pm ending time on a Wednesday should pose a problem. Everyone states that quarter hours are a problem - do quarter hours plus a bit have high traffic, or does the 1 minute after the quarter hour have a sudden decrease in traffic? Should I leave the lead time at 5 seconds? I put it at 10 seconds. This is an item I really don't want to lose!

Third Q: On a different post, someone mentioned putting in a manual snipe as added security to the AS snipe. Will ebay recognize that both bids came from the same account and not bid myself against my own bid?? I **REALLY** want to win this item. I've been watching for over 6 months now, and it's the first time this has come up.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!! Sorry if too wordy.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

to the forum!

First Q: Yes, you are correct... No credit card needed.

Second Q: I use 7 seconds and would not increase it for your day and time.

Third Q: AS will place the bid you tell it to. eBay will recognize AS snipe as the same person as a manual bid you place. If the two amounts are the same, one of the bids will be rejected as 'bid to low'. Note: if AS bids for you and you win, (even if it's not the AS bid that wins) you will still get charged a fee, or a free snipe.

Also be aware you should enter your REAL TRUE ABSOLUTE max amount. You can not cancel or modify a snipe in the last 2 to 3 minutes before end of auction.

Good Luck, and let us know how it works out for you.

Last edited {1}
Bummer... Happened to me once... on a very rare item.

Always thought it was because the price wasn't getting high enough.
They probably won't admit to that, but I'm sure it happens.

quote:
eBay:
Note: Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be reserve fee circumvention. Although there are legitimate reasons for ending a listing early, abuse of this option will be investigated.

Last edited {1}
They relisted the item (it was a timeshare) as being for a different week than the original post. I'm starting to wonder if the seller is somehow scamming because it was relisted as being a winter week as opposed to a summer week. Pretty big difference!! Thanks for all the help, though.

The price was still fairly low and maybe they did just want a higher selling price for it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.