Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm not sure that would be accurate. Since the item was only $25.00 and at the last 6 seconds someone sniped it at $200, wouldn't it keep telling them that they have been outbid? How many other bids could they they post in the last 5 seconds?

quote:
Originally posted by puppy_raiser:
You would win with a bid of $202.50

and _Welcome_

ps best to ask eBay questions in the GENERAL area.

http://home.twmi.rr.com/keithspage/images/dog001.gif http://home.twmi.rr.com/keithspage/images/life.gif

[This message was edited by puppy_raiser on November 30, 2003 at 02:00 PM.]
I appreciate you helping me figure this out (and it's kinda tough via this format, but hang in there with me).

My understanding is:

If the item was $25.00, and they sniped a bid at 6 seconds for $200.00, they would only end up paying $27.00, right (they are the highest bidder).

So, at 3 seconds, if I sniped a max bid of $2000, the item would be sold at 29.00 (since I was now the highest bidder).

If this is incorrect, please let me know before I loose my home Smile Thanks!
Correct! You are right....but Ebay continues going up in increments..not directly to the highest bid. In other words, I have bid higher than I have paid. For instance, I bid $75.00 and only paid 2 dollars more than the second highest bidder. Their highest bid was $60.00, and mine was $75.00, but I only paid $62.00. (Ebay doesn't diferentiate between AS and a regular bid does it?)
I have to think about this a bit. I've actually worked out if a regular bidder only had a few seconds to outbid my highest price (200,000), they would only up the price a few dollars.

HOWEVER, if there were 2 AS's going at the last few seconds with extrodinarly high max bids, they both could get in trouble...I think..
Jak,

The Pupster Wink has done a good job answering your question.

You seem to think there is a difference between manually placed bids and sniped bids. To eBay, a bid is a bid, whether it is placed 3 days before the end of the auction or 3 seconds! The bids are handled the same way by eBay.

Bottom Line: The bidder with the HIGHEST bid wins the auction. The winning bid AMOUNT will be the next valid bid increment above the SECOND HIGHEST bid.

Snipe on!

Jabbergah Cool
Not likely though. People that use shills to bid up their merchandise don't want to chance getting stuck, so they normally only bid it to a normal sale price and back off. Besides, what a silly thing to worry about. Bid in your snipe the max you will pay and go watch a movie.

Last edited {1}
The first I heard of this strategy was at one of those anti-sniper forums. Some of the posters said that a sniper strategy was to snipe a huge bid in the final moments of an auction. The intention was to win the item one bid increment higher than the highest non-sniping bidder. The ASSUMPTION, I guess, is all the non-sniping bidders will NOT bid much more than the actual market value of the item. The result would be the sniper would ALWAYS WIN the item at right around true market value.

There are a few falacies with the strategy. 1) As was mentioned earlier in this thread, sometimes some people just get carried away in these auctions and bid amounts HIGHER than actual market values for items. Then when Mr. Sniper comes along with the Mega-Bid, sure he wins, but at an overinflated price. 2) What happens if/when TWO Mega-Bid style snipers bid the same auction? One of them will end up paying the Mega-Bid of the other!! Eek For instance, say the current winning bid of a $50 widget is $35 held by a manual bidder who has a proxy of $60. Mega-sniper#1 snipes a $1000 bid and Mega-sniper#2 snipes a $500 bid! Congratulations, Mega-sniper#1! You've just won a $50 widget for $505!! And don't forget to add that s&h, too!

I was humored when I read this so-called sniper strategy, because I don't think there is ANYTHING I want with money-no-object terms! In fact, I'm not interested in paying true market values for items -- I want BARGAINS! Maybe I'm influenced by the fact I'm not an avid collector of anything. Collectors of something that is intrinsically rare to some extent may more feel pressure to get that item that will complete their collection of widgets, and therefore may lean in the money's-no-object direction!

Like was recommended by others, don't snipe a bid that you would regret if the bidding actually DID go all the way up to your MAX!

My 10 cents...

Jabbergah Cool
Well, my first big snipe is just 24hr or so away. I’ve only seen one other exactly like it in 2 months now. It went for almost $900! Current price is less than $275, but this type item brings LOTS of late bids. The other one had 4 bids in the last 60 seconds! Seller left some vital info out of the title, so hoping those guys with the deep pockets don’t find it. Keep your paws crossed for me.

Night all.

Last edited {1}
NO ! !

This was one of those auctions I should have bid manually at $500 or so first and then snipped.

Current price with 1 day left was $275 or so with 4 bids. The seller cancelled all bids and ended auction early. Guess he was afraid of the selling price being to low. Item was never relisted by the seller.

...but thanks for asking. Smile

Last edited {1}
Puppy,

I'm with Shirley on this on the followup e-mail. However, if you are uncomfortable with the little white lie Shirley's e-mail would entail, just say, "I didn't get a chance to bid in your auction until after it closed, is it still available?" Then if the guy is willing, arrange a purchase off ebay. Or if he (or you) is a stickler to observe ebay TOS, come to an agreed BIN price. He can do a cheap relist (no extra pics or extra cost listing frills) of it at an agreed time at the agreed price, and you POUNCE on it immediately! Big Grin

Shirley & I think it's worth a try! Wink

Jabbergah                                                    
Puppy,

I can be RELENTLESS when spending OPM (Other People's Money)! Wink This'll probably be my last run at this, and then I'll let you go! Wink

OK, you mentioned you think it is too late since it has been over a month since the cancelled auction. If you REALLY do want this item, I still think it's worth a shot. You might even be able to get a DEAL, especially since you think the seller may have cancelled due to low bids! He may feel the demand for the item is not as good as he thought -- may make him more flexible on price.

Your e-mail can say, "I didn't get a chance to bid in your auction until after it closed, and I was hoping you might relist? Is it still available? Would you be willing to accept $XXX for it? If not, what amount were you hoping to realize for it?" or something similar. Open negotiations with a lowball offer, you never know the deal you might get!

I DO get the impression this item is more firmly in your "Like to Have" column than in your "GOTTA Have!" column! Either that, or the widget is not EXACTLY what you're looking for? Maybe missing some features that you'd like it to have? Frown Even so, it would still be an interesting exercise to run out the lead. If/when you get a response from the seller, no matter what the price is (unless it's what you offered!), you can always say "Thanks! That seems like a fair price, but no thanks. I was hoping to pick up the widget for less than that." or whatever.

OK, I'll let go of the issue now! Wink

Jabbergah                                                    

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.