Skip to main content

I bid on this item, my high bid was $75.+.....I checked in on AS 30 mins, and 9 mins before the auction ended, and it never notified me that I had been outbid at any point.......
I don't understand--????
All my other auctions, I got an email saying you have been outbid, and it gave me time to up my bid if I wanted....
This was the email message I got from AS.......

(says my snipe could not be placed because of reason above, but there is NO REASON I SEE ON THE NOTICE.......
It also says click here to see Ebays response to your snipe, and when I clicked here, I just got sent back to AS my snipes page.......

PLEASE SOMEONE EXPLAIN......

Auction Sniper Snipe Status Report
eBay Item: HAND CARVED VINTAGE STYLE "BELSNICKLE" SANTA
(Item # 2201390507)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Status Summary: Bid Too Low
Your snipe could not be placed because of the reason above
Click here to see eBay's response to your snipe

Suggestion: You might want to consider using Auction Sniper Bid Groups. With Bid Groups, you can bid on the same item from multiple sellers -- your bids will automatically be placed on each successive auction until you win one. This can help you avoid the disappointment of losing on an item you really want!

MARGRETDZN
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

OK, here’s a rough reconstruction of what happened on Nov.11th, the day the auction for Item # 2201390507 ended.
Time before auction ends:
=================================================
10.3 hrs -- athens bids: winning with bid ~ $62 & MAX bid of $65.03
3.75 hrs -- beth bids: winning with bid ~ $66 & MAX bid of $83.99??
~30 mins -- you check in - beth has winning bid of ~$66 - your snipe is still valid.
~9 mins -- you check in - beth has winnning bid ~$66 – your snipe still good.
45 secs -- gourd places MAX bid of $75.53 and is Proxy outbid by beth who holds current winning bid of ~ $77

(At this point, with a MAX bid of $75 you are now on the outside looking in!)

15 secs -- gourd places another MAX bid of $83.59 and is Proxy outbid again by beth who holds current winning bid of $83.99!

7-15 secs (whatever lead time you set in AS) -- AS tries to submit your bid of $75 -- unable to since your MAX bid of $75 is now less than the current winning bid of $83.99.

You were outbid, not outsniped. Beth, the winning bidder entered the winning MAX bid nearly 4 hours before the end of the auction. It wasn’t revealed until gourd placed a couple competitive bids in the last minute of the auction.

If you were willing to pay more than $84 for the item, you should have entered that amount into your snipe. Ebay will not automatically go all the way up to your MAX bid UNLESS a competing bidder bids up to that same amount or more.

Sniping does NOT guarantee you’ll win every auction you snipe. Frown Sniping is simply a tool that allows you to hide your interest in an item AND your max bid from competing bidders until the very last minute of an auction. Wink Just remember though, the bottom line is whoever BIDS THE MOST on an item will WIN IT, regardless of whether they bid days ago or bid within the last milliseconds of the auction! (This is assuming the MAX bid exceeds any reserve bid amount).
Sniping will NOT let you win auctions bidding LESS than what other bidders are willing to pay!

If I've made any significant errors Confused in this analysis, I'm sure someone else will straighten me out! Wink

Snipe on!

Jabbergah Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.