Skip to main content

I just noticed that many snipes have been a little early. I always set my lead time for 5 seconds, but I notice in the bid histories of the auctions I have sniped, my snipes were entered 9 seconds before auction end.

I know it is just 4 seconds, but it can make a difference. Especially if it is a hot item. Any explanations for this phenomena???
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi, Rickdogg. I think I recall a post from Sarah B. to the effect that AS adjusts the preset snipe time when it senses that eBay's processing time is slowing down. I've had a couple of snipes entered early, too, but it hasn't kept me from winning the bids. It's my opinion that any bid under 15 seconds is counterbid-proof in 99 percent of all auctions.
Yep the reason is that we track how long it is taking eBay to process the snipes that we send just before your snipe and adjust your lead time to ensure your snipe is on time.

So the snipes before yours were taking 4 seconds longer than normal. But then by the time we placed yours eBay had sped back up to normal speed and so yours ended up 4 seconds early. Had they remained slow it would have landed at eactly 5 seconds rather than the risky 1 second. Which is why we do it like that.

Thank you

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.