Skip to main content

hey, new to the forum.

anyway, i'm pretty sure i didn't snipe this item http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42260&item=2362059587

i know i cleared all my sniped when i did a couple BIN's on some tools i wanted.

i also know that i would never bid that much for those particular set of tools. according to my ebay account, the max bid i was supposedly willing to put down was $75?? i sure as hell wouldn't even go near that price. in fact, all my snipes on these kinds of tools have been set at $20 or less. i wouldn't even snipe it @ $25-30.

so...WTF? i cleared all my snipes. it was pretty obvious from my blank snipe screen that i didn't have snipes pending. i "checked items (all)" then clicked "cancel." i only use the import wizard to add snipes.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Stingray, you are the second one this week that has come in and said they sniped something they didn't place a snipe on for an amount they would not have used! I think something is surely going on. With the first incident, I thought maybe it was idenity theft but maybe it is an AS glich or something. Eek Sara needs to check this out for you and I know she will!

I know you are upset,who wouldn't be, but to our forum and hang in there. I'm sure it will get straightend out. Smile

Last edited {1}
Here is the other post...

Topic: won an item I didn't bid on????
wendyzhere
Junior Sniper posted November 23, 2003 12:10 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've never posted here before but I just had a strange thing happen. I got an email from AS that I had won a Beatles My Guitar Gently Weeps tie!! Now, it's a nice item but I am absolutely positive I didn't snipe it. My husband hasn't worn ties in years and I was only sniping one item, that hasn't come up yet and was still on my list. So I owe someone $19 for something I never wanted to bid on, and had never even seen before! Has this ever happened to anybody?

sounds like what happened to me.

oh ya, i'm never on a public computer and nobody i know who'd have access to my PC would even want to snipe something.

i've changed my ebay password just in case but i doubt someone hacked my computer or my password just to snipe something for no reason.

i had nothing in my snipe list and i cleared everything on my ebay watch list so it couldn't even have been drawn from that.
hopefully it'll be resolved shortly.

i've already contacted the seller. hopefully he'll understand. i know he'd certainly like to get that amount for the tools he posted cause that sure is above what i could have gotten from the store.

yes, i've sniped once for a set of tools and did a couple BIN's for a large quanity of them. which is why i didn't need these and cancelled all my snipes and ebay watches for ANY tools. i cancelled them about the time i placed my 2nd BIN. i sure wouldn't have put a max bid of $75 for these sets of tools. my entire ebay history i've never been THAT desperate to win something.

[This message was edited by stingray on November 28, 2003 at 07:35 PM.]
Last edited {1}
good thing the seller was understanding. Smile

quote:
It's curious that this auction is for tools, and that just happens to be what you always bid on.

My opinion is based on your feedback and auctions. My money is on AS.
so you're saying i wanted these tools (you did see what i won w/ my 2nd BIN from mpdock right??) and that i wanted to snipe them at that price when i KNOW i wouldn't want them at that price, would never want them that badly to put that high a max bid on them and KNOW i deleted ALL my snipes?? how do i know i deleted all my snipes? i check marked every single snipe i had and clicked "cancel" the page was absolutely blank last i checked. i did not conveniently forget to "unsnipe" any pending snipes.

so because i bought tools before (i don't see 3 ebay wins for tools as "always"), it means i wanted these too? and i also fail to see how my feedback rating/responses have ANYTHING to do w/ the issue at hand. sniping when i clearly KNOW that i cancelled all snipes. i'm not computer illiterate and not new to sniping or ebay.

if you're a betting man and had money on this, i hope it wasn't alot. Roll Eyes

the only way i think this could have happened was AS archives snipes and didn't really "delete" my snipe even though there was nothing displayed on my end. i can count w/ 2 hands how many snipes i had pending and since the default display is 25 pending snipes, i clearly would have known if i had any leftover. Roll Eyes

[This message was edited by stingray on November 29, 2003 at 09:35 PM.]
Last edited {1}
quote:
i "checked items (all)" then clicked "cancel." i only use the import wizard to add snipes.

If you had more than one page of snipes doing the above would only cancel the first page. Depending on how you had your my snipes page filtered doing the above might not even cancel a single 'Ready' snipe. As an example if you had a bid group set up and the snipe was in the bid group, but you had your snipes list set to show "My Snipes" then it wouldnt cancel it.

Have you bid $75 on anything else recently? Perhaps it was in your eBay watch list and was imported incorrectly? If you know of an item that you bid $75 on then perhaps we have a bug but we'd have to test that somehow and without the eBay item you bid $75 we couldnt reproduce that bug. That is the only way I can think of this happening if you use the import feature 100% of the time.
Last edited {1}
There should be a way to check the server log for the IP address at the time the snipe was placed.

Unless you are using IP masking, if the IP doesn't match, you have someone else using your ID and password.

It isn't hard to get passwords even if you are not on a public computer. Someone can send you and email and when you view or open it (most of the time it is a blank email or subject line) the hacking software automatically installs on your computer and sends emails periodically to the hacker.

I'm not sure what software will detect the bugs but changing your password won't do the trick because it will just email the hacker. If anyone out there knows how to detect, please post.

<-M->
quote:
If you had more than one page of snipes doing the above would only cancel the first page.
like i said. could count them w/ 2 hands (less than 10) so it would have shown up. i refreshed the page to be sure and check a day later.
quote:
Depending on how you had your my snipes page filtered
all default settings
quote:
Have you bid $75 on anything else recently?
no
quote:
11 auctions listed--all for tools or tool-related items
you must be retarded. 3 items, count, 3 items were tools. the rest were motorcycle related and NOTHING to do w/ tools. cause it's in the ebay motors section, it's deemed as "tools."

whatever, it's been settled w/ the seller so...whatever Roll Eyes
I had to let everyone know that I got to the bottom of the mysterious snipe that I never placed. I used my mom's computer over the summer and my SISTER used it in Novemeber to snipe that mysterious tie. Apparently she just clicked on the "you're already sniping" button without noticing who was logged on. I don't think either one of us thought I could remain logged in indefinitely and it had been months since AS was accessed on that computer. So, I feel badly for thinking AS was at fault, they weren't. The funny thing is that she REALLY wanted that darn tie anyway and I got the seller to relist so neither one of us got it...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.