Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally quoted by rick:

quote:
In the example the current bid price was $15.00. Placing a $20.01 would reach the next increment and would then outbid the $20. One need not win by a full increment, one need only reach the next increment for the bid to be placed, and since $20.01 is the high bid, they would win. That's why so many people bid uneven amounts.

rsmiller40
Last edited {1}
hi rsmiller...

you seem to be a sniper wiz..can u help me with this one..

I put a snipe on an item with a 5 sec delay.
My max bid was $55.01. This is what happened:

Auction end time 17:56:08

my bid $55.01 17:44:52
bidder A $54.49 16:19:36
bidder B $52.01 16:17:59
bidder A $51.21 16:14:08
etc
etc

My question is:
why was my snipe placed so early.
Is the $54.49 from bidder A likely to be an automatic increment by ebay due to my bid? I can't understand how bidder A's bids went from $51.21 to $54.49 when the only bid in the middle was for $52.10.

if I have totally confused you ... ooops!!
First of all, the time of 5 sec. and when AS placed it would depend on AS's sampling of the traffic. If As sees that there are more than average bids being placed, they do TRY to compensate for you. This is especially true on times like Sunday, on the hour, half, and quarter. It would be a lot easier to answer the rest if you would post the auction number. Smile

rsmiller40
jesabelle_ohare,

I've never seen AS place a 5 second snipe 12 minutes early. ebay (USA) has maintenance on Friday mornings between 1 and 3. Also, I think AS has been doing the same. When that happens, AS places the snipe early enough to avoid the shut-down (their's and ebay's). I'm not sure if this was a factor, but your early snipe didn't seem to cause any problems.
Last edited {1}
Hmm, my guess is that the system admins were being a little cautious as eBay announced they were going from from 1am-2am. That's always when we do our maintenance every Friday morning too.

What we do in that case is move all snipes forward to just before the mainteance time. Usually to something like 3 minutes before. In this case though it looks like we moved all snipes from 12:46am->3am up to 12:45am. The reason we do 3am is becuase eBay has historically done maintenance from 1am-3am. Even though they said 1am-2am this time I cant count the # of times their maintenances have gone 5 minutes to an hour over.
Last edited {1}
In the example the current bid price was $15.00. Placing a $20.01 would reach the next increment and would then outbid the $20. One need not win by a full increment, one need only reach the next increment for the bid to be placed, and since $20.01 is the high bid, they would win. That's why so many people bid uneven amounts.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.