Skip to main content

Last night and this morning the auctionsniper server was not available in the UK. Possibly elsewhere.

I haven't been able to add, change or edit snipes for the last 12 hours.

How is this possible? Occasional downtimes, perhaps of less than one hour, and up to two hours would be acceptable. But surely there have to be contingencies for longer lasting server problems.

I'm beginning to lose confidence.

Please restore it (and the sevice).
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I can't even get to the support site. It's completely mad. I have now logged on via my PDA. No problems. I am with AOL Broadband and this is the only site I cannot access. I have tried from three wireless PC's at home, so I suspect the AOL servers must be causing this issue.

I've checked all firewall, blocking settings etc. I even temporarily disabled my firewall!
Have others with AOL had problems?
Oh come on . . . don't try to be clever.

If you could access every website your try except the one, and you have even checked and disabled your firewall for that purpose - you'd assume that the server which didn't return the page was down.

I consulted a friend who also couldn't log on - having said that, he also uses AOL.

I have never experienced an ISP blocking mainstream websites - have you?

Perhaps we can get helpful comments on this thread!

BTW, my experience is that people respond in a cynical way when they don't have any other useful things to say.
I think your best, and probably quickest, bet is to use the above link I left to contact support. They may check in with the forum soon, but then it may not be soon enough.

Typically, even though this section of the forum says "Auction Sniper Support", as you can see, it's mostly frequented by users - some more or less clever & some more or less trying.
quote:
Oh come on . . . don't try to be clever.

If you could access every website your try except the one, and you have even checked and disabled your firewall for that purpose - you'd assume that the server which didn't return the page was down.

You made the comment that "the auctionsniper server was not available in the UK. Possibly elsewhere." It is a HUGE jump to a conclusion to assume that because one person could not access AS, then that person's ENTIRE COUNTRY, and possibly the whole world, was also so restricted. There are many variables in internet connections, and most of them do not warrant supposing that national or global conditions exist.

quote:
BTW, my experience is that people respond in a cynical way when they don't have any other useful things to say.

My experience is that people who make grandiose, totally unsupported, sweeping statements without any evidence of such are generally not reliable reporters of current conditions. This is especially true when AS won an auction for me during the supposed downtime.
I have been in contact with AOL over the last days and they confirm that the inaccessability of auctionsniper via their dialler is due to problems caused during their switchover to CarPhone Warehouse (Now that's worrying) as they've apparently been bought up by that company.

The site is accessible via their 9.0 VR software, but nothing works properly. When an attempt is made to modify the snipe, upon submission the log-in page keeps reappearing and the snipe is not modyfied.

It seems this is affecting every AOL broadband subscriber - which has to be a substantial percentage of the U.K.'s broadband user base.

I have been told to "please wait a couple of days while the AOL technicians try to sort this out.

Has anyone else ever experienced this (i.e. only certain websites being inaccessible via their ISP)?

I hope they sort it out soon.
Hi all,

I did the same as lalala and spoke to AOL. As you say, they know about this problem and are hoping to have it sorted within a day or two.

In the meantime, I can access the auctionsniper sites using the AOL software instead of Internet Explorer and all seems ok if a little slow. At least I can now modify those pesky snipes even if it is a bit slow. Not getting the problems that lalala is getting when I use the AOL softyware.

It is weird that auctionsniper is blocked by AOL on IE but not on their own platform but hey what can you expect from America On-Line in the UK.

Cheers

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.