Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I watched the guy type in his registration details and even corrected a typo in my ID as referrer so I'm pretty certain all was correct. However AS Support are suggesting that it was finger trouble (user fault) rather than a bug. I got my three free snipes but trying to get support to confirm or deny it was a bug is taking a lot to-ing and fro-ing!

R2
This is a list of the possible, and improbable, reasons for R2’s long-term problem with referrals:
  1. AS has a bug that results from something unique in R2’s eBay or AS accounts (location, ID, email address, some other variable) which prevents him from getting free referral snipes.
  2. AS has a fairly significant bug that prevents several/many/most users from getting free referral snipes.
  3. R2’s referrals are not using the ebay ID or email address he has registered with AS.
  4. R2’s referrals consistently enter incorrect information accidentally.
  5. R2’s referrals consistently enter incorrect information intentionally.
  6. R2 hasn’t referred anyone, but just likes to say that he has.
  7. AS has blocked (accidentally or intentionally) R2 from getting free referral snipes.
  8. AS doesn’t have a system to give free referral snipes.
  9. None of the above.
Hmm - all possible!

Some are ruled out as I watched the last referrer enter my ID - I even made him correct it as he put a space 1/2 way through... (hmm - Was that option 4 or option 5????)

So - either a bug or a typo - Vince was easy, either way, at first but when pushed insisted it was a typo. I suspect a bug but I guess it's not in AS's interest to give away free snipes...

R2
AS support has left me feeling pretty angry. There are two sides to every story so here's mine:

As mentioned above, my free snipes didn't arrive despite me watching the guy I referred type in my user ID in the approriate box.
I therefore logged a call with the help desk.
Once they'd established who was who, they quickly gave me my free snipes.
Guessing that there might be a bug (it's not the first time this has happened to me!), I asked if support could check to see why the referral had failed to produce free snipes.
No chance, I'd got my free snipes and that was as far as they'd go.
I tried asking in various ways but they refused to budge - it was a user error and not a bug.
Next thing I know they closed the case.

I then wrote an email to Sniper Bill at AS. And his response - "Stop harassing my staff!" And he seemed to think that getting free snipes was a good solution to the problem!

So, despite me watching the guy type in the referal name correctly, AS insist that it was a typo and not a bug. I try to help them resolve this by asking them to confirm whether the problem was by human or computer and I'm accused of harassment.

In simple terms, the purpose of these forums is to allow users to gain help and advice from other users thus freeing the staff to get on with other tasks. Occasionally I have been known to offer such help and, in the past, I have helped AS with Beta testing and by offering suggestions and reporting bugs. So, to be treated this way is completely unacceptable.

R2 - rather dejected but pleased he no longer works 300 yards from the burning Oil Refinery in Hemel Hempstead! more >>>
R2 it does seem rather shabby treatment and from your point of view ungrateful & uncalled for. Essentially you have saved them $1000s in support time.

However, I think you'r not the first to find out that firms of all types are not above exploitation of the workforce (or in your case the "freeforce")

Now why should they take that attitude? The only logical answer is there is a bug. That is probably accepted internally but you were given the company line. Why? Simply because the cost of minor bug elimination is simply so high that it's probably not worth them contemplating!

In your case it simply displays their lack of imagination. I sometimes wonder about these "lumpen" replies and think "where is this US attitude we hear about that the consumer is King?"

Like all these things, the solution to make the medicine a bit more pleasant to take was to tell the truth "We can't really afford to investigate" but "would you accept 20 free snipes in compensation?"

Ah well, thats why one erstwhile ex-member of this board keeps saying "try xxxx" they might not be as easy to use, but they have a better attitude to their customers!

Talking of attitude, I had a post deleted for simply saying that auctionsnipe.com was in fact not a fake as this guy thought but another real url. I simply quoted the owners name & address as appeared in the registry. I wonder why that was Sara?

Paul
R2,

Must be kind of frustrating, as you aren’t trying to harass the staff but point out a possible, even probable, bug which would be in AS’ best interest to fix.

Just for kicks, as it sounds that this isn’t going to get any more attention from AS, but a few questions:
  1. Have you *ever* gotten any referral snipes without having to bring the issue up to AS’ support?
  2. If yes, has anything on your end changed since then that could cause a bug with AS (ebay ID or email)?
  3. Have you tried having one of your referrals specify another AS user (perhaps someone else that you referred) to see if AS’ referring software is working for someone else?
  4. Do you have a special character, such as an @ sign, that might cause AS to see your ID as an email address? (hard to believe it would be something that simple)
  5. Do your referrals only enter in your ebay ID, or have they tried using the email you have registered with AS?
  6. Or, would you just as soon drop this?
quote:
Originally posted by Camera:
Now why should they take that attitude? The only logical answer is there is a bug.
Complete confidence on AS’ part that there *isn’t* a bug would also, and more likely, be the logical answer.

quote:
"where is this US attitude we hear about that the consumer is King?"
I think that went out with Nixon and Watergate? It may have been some cliché that American car manufacturers threw out to combat Japanese manufacturers – not sure.

quote:
I simply quoted the owners name & address as appeared in the registry. I wonder why that was Sara?
It may be something as simple as not wanting that address as public as being posted on a forum? Might also be to avoid giving out an email address? Hey, I don’t have the answers, just alternative (not as entertaining) theories.
quote:
I wonder why that was Sara?
Because the site isnt fake, and you included addresses, phone #'s, and email addresses in a post. We prefer not to get spam, junk mail, and unsolicited phone calls that come from spammers and marketers grabbing all that info off websites.

Yes it's in the registries but most limit the # of connections to their registry by a single site, they also have terms of use. Many such as godaddy require you to enter a word so that robots cant grab them, etc.
Last edited by snipersarab
Thank you for that explanation Sara.

My apologies, I didn't realise it would expose you in that way. I just thought as the knowledge was public anyway it wasn't an issue.

Surely all these sites giving phone numbers/addresses/credit scores that you have in the States (our info in the UK is more restricted) mean that your company is pretty exposed to this anyway?

Certainly I publish my business phone number and address on my web site - it is a condition of business over here, but my private number is ex-directory.

My public email address was well & truly spammed, but since I re-directed to gmail (or Googlemail as they have been forced to call it in the UK) I must say their filters are 100% effecient (I used to get a 100+ a day)

Paul
Updated list (based on posts in this thread) of the possible, and probable, reasons for R2’s long-term problem with referrals:
  1. AS has a bug that results from something unique in R2’s eBay or AS accounts (location, ID, email address, some other variable) which prevents him from getting $5.
  2. AS has a fairly significant bug that prevents several/many/most/all users from getting $5.
  3. R2’s referrals are not using the ebay ID or email address he has registered with AS.
  4. R2’s referrals consistently enter incorrect information accidentally.
  5. R2’s referrals consistently enter incorrect information intentionally.
  6. R2 hasn’t referred anyone, but just likes to say that he has.
  7. AS has blocked (accidentally or intentionally) R2 from getting free referral snipes.
  8. AS doesn’t have a system to give $5.
  9. Bill has turned to the dark side.
  10. None of the above, "But keep guessing and we’ll tell you when you get warm, or when *we* get hot."
Hello R2.

I am sorry that you took my directness as being rude.

Here are the facts.

1. Your affiliate program is working fine, it always has. I can see everyone that you have signed up and everything looks fine.

2. You signed up for the $5 affiliate program. From the terms and conditions for this program, you only get affiliate revenue when you sign up a qualified user (defined as someone who is charged $5.00 or more). This way we aren't just paying for false leads. When you sign up for the $5 program you are not entitled to any free snipes, yet we have been giving them to you anyways! I will be sure that this does not continue, given the headache that this is causing.

3. Since you have been doing the $5 affiliate program with us... you have referred 17 people. Of these 17, only 4 have aquired a balance of more than $5. I am quite sure that we have given you 3 free snipes for all 17 of these users via the support cases that you have filed (even though only 4 of them are active customers).

4. I am also willing to give you the $20 that you have earned (I will credit this to your account or a paypal payment, your choice).

5. I am going to revert you to the 3 free snipes program as we no longer offer the $5 program and it just causes too much confusion and is not a good value for us.

Regards,
Bill

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.