Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by region2:
Aaron

Not sure what point you are trying to make but I suspect you've made it a few times now. Why not look forward and forza forward instead of dwelling on the past?!

R2

Oh I don't know. Probably a small matter of you deleting my posts after insulting me?

Not only do AS stuff up, but have appointed egotistical people as moderators of their "community".

Caveat emptor eh?

If noone warns others of the potential reception they will receive here...

You should take a hike and let people express themselves.
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron DC:
Oh I don't know. Probably a small matter of you deleting my posts after insulting me?
Your memory is a bit off. After calling region2 an imbecile, your post was deleted, and I believe that was the topic that was closed. Perhaps the moderator felt that your post had degenerated the thread into nothing more than . . . well, I’ll just leave it at “degenerated”.

quote:
But you’d rather not have someone else “express themselves” if they disagree with you?

I suspect you’ll label me “fanboy”. I don’t might being called that, but it’s rapidly becoming a cliché. It’s not that someone attempts an insult that does me in – I just wish they were a little creative.

Your turn - hurry before this topic is closed by Big Brother!
quote:
Originally posted by Rick:
quote:

Your memory is a bit off. After calling region2 an imbecile, your post was deleted, and I believe that was the topic that was closed.

My memory is very good. R2 called me a numpty (an insult). I responded with a run-down of the flaws in the current "It's not AS's fault" reasoning and concluded by calling him an imbecile. Then my post was deleted. ie my post was deleted after he insulted me.

quote:
Perhaps the moderator felt that your post had degenerated the thread into nothing more than . . . well, I’ll just leave it at “degenerated”.

Or perhaps the moderator felt my post was too close to the truth: after 7 years AS cannot read in a date properly from a webpage.

This technology is very simplistic: scrape some date / time information from a web page, then submit a post request with a username, password, then another with an item id and a dollar amount, at a set time. End of story. I'd put something together in a day, with another day or two of testing and then 2-3 days more to internationalise it.

With always-on Internet access now, AS's argument for a web-based server solution is looking pretty shaky.

To claim that Ebay's changing of their webpage absolves AS of all responsibility for placing so many early "snipes" is ludicrous, and shows a lack of care and technical ability.

A simple exception handling routine would detect that the date was invalid, allowing a human operator to check its format and inform the tech team asap of a problem.

As it was, they had numerous customers telling them something was wrong before they believed them.

quote:
quote:
But you’d rather not have someone else “express themselves” if they disagree with you?

As long as I have a right of reply, no problem. But when my replies are deleted, well, no, I'd rather not have their insults left undisturbed ... seems a little unfair.

quote:
I suspect you’ll label me “fanboy”. I don’t might being called that, but it’s rapidly becoming a cliché. It’s not that someone attempts an insult that does me in – I just wish they were a little creative.

Your turn - hurry before this topic is closed by Big Brother!

Closed, but not before deleting my reply, no doubt. As for fanboy, well if it smells like one and acts like one, you don't need to point out the blatantly obvious...
quote:
my post was deleted after he insulted me.
If it was me, I wouldn’t give anyone the satisfaction of knowing they insulted me. Not the way “to play the game”. AND, "insult" is VERY subjective.

quote:
I'd put something together in a day, with another day or two of testing and then 2-3 days more to internationalise it.
Things always look easier the further one is removed from performing the task.

quote:
I'd rather not have their insults left undisturbed ... seems a little unfair.
As best as I can see, you gave as well (maybe better) than you got.
HERE is an interesting site I stumbled on when I was trying to figure out what "numpty" was and why it might get someone upset. Even though they mean the same thing, I think I'd much rather be called a "numpty" than an "idiot". I don't know why! Confused Wink

So after threatening to do so, did Aaron actually depart? He really seemed to get all bent out of shape over AS's latest hiccup for someone still in their trial period!
I think as a general rule: if you have to look up the definition then it isn’t an insult.

Better yet: if you’re the kind that gets insulted then don’t look up the definition.

After all, if someone calls you an “insulting” name in a language you don’t understand, and if they are smiling, you’ll stand there like a numpty nodding your head in agreement.
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron DC: ...snip...
This technology is very simplistic: scrape some date / time information from a web page, then submit a post request with a username, password, then another with an item id and a dollar amount, at a set time. End of story. I'd put something together in a day, with another day or two of testing and then 2-3 days more to internationalise it. ...snip...

If you are so great, there is nothing stopping you from trying to do what you say you can.
Aaron, you inspired me to create an account here simply to say thank you for standing up and saying what had to be said. I was considering this service, but thanks to you I am no longer.

While it might be understandable that AS will want to delete this thread or any others, but if they do it will give everyone a clear understanding of their lack of interest in freedom of speech. I might still consider AS for the future, but considering the other options I've looked at, this one isn't terribly appealing.

AS,
I hope you clean up your act for my own sake. As I try another service, and find that it's not very good, I hope to find that you've made yours better so as to win over my business. In that endeavor I wish you great luck.

-Deus Fortuna Absconditus
Link copied to your clipboard.