Skip to main content

To the OTHER guy... Wink

I did a GOOGLE search on sniping, and AS came up first. Also did a search in C/Net for "free" software. Selected AS because of 1) the - what I considered to be - fair rate structure, and 2) THIS community... and it's support and feedback.

Happy to say I won my first "snipe" yesterday and have two more pending. They are the ideal snipe opportunities as I see it... few bidders, but those that are/would bid, probably want/need the item (like me). If I'd been bidding against them all during the auction, I'm sure I would have / will bid more = $$$ money out of my pocket.

This service is worth the rates/fees if for no other reason that you know your bid will be placed when YOU can't be there to place it (i.e. at work, nights, or "other places with your SO").

My first win was set to snipe at 7-sec before auction end. I see that the bid was actually won/accepted 13-seconds in advance. Wish it was a little "tighter"... but would rather it that way than missing it with a late bid.

Besides, my research (here) has shown me that you'll only win the item with the HIGHEST bid, regardless. If you're the highest bidder, I don't think that 3-4-5 sec difference, would make a difference.

I've sent off the AS links to all my friends too. Don't know if they'll sign up or not. But hope so...

Again, thank you for the service. It allows me to work, play, sleep and know that my bid will still get placed!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Success, just logged win #2. Happened over lunch, WHILE I WAS AWAY AT LUNCH. Maybe I saved money by not manually bidding, maybe not (but bet I did <g>Wink, but it was sure nice to have the service bid for me while I was gone!

This was my second "freebie", had I been paying, I'd owe a whole $0.45. Whoop-de-do... Small price to pay for the convenience!!

Thanks again "AS"!! Big Grin
Well, one thing that AS doesn't tell you is that AS will cost you money!!!!

It's because I keep winning auctions!! Big Grin

Funny (or not), but I think on my 3rd win, I actually sniped a sniper! Check out the bidding on item #170005595226. I received a bid confirmation of $15.51 (previous bid was $15.01).

But, my max bid was $30+. My "winning" bid came with 11-seconds left in the auction when a subsequent bid - with only 9-seconds left, came in at $25.89. My max bid amount trumped his higher bid. More than I wanted to pay, but I won.

As the Deities have said, you'll win or loose by the max bid you place. In this case, if I had placed my max bid manually, hours before, I probably would have still won. BUT, as before, I wasn't HERE to place the bid.

AS DID IT AGAIN. Now... I'll need to go get a second job to pay for all my won eBay auctions! Oh, never mind... already have a second job.

For those of you - like me a couple of days ago - that are checking AS out to consider their services. DON'T!!!! (Their service works and I don't need the competition!!! Wink)
quote:
Originally posted by ydoc:

AS DID IT AGAIN. Now... I'll need to go get a second job to pay for all my won eBay auctions!

No, you don't have to do that, yd. Just sell things on eBay as well. Big Grin
I think that in the three years or so that I have been using eBay (200-300 auctions) my balance just about hovers around zero most of the time.
Many things I have sold would have previously been dropped off at a charity shop or put on Freecycle.
Welcome to the club!

Like all addictions Ebayitis can take over your life! Before discovering eBay I didn't understand why people became alcoholics, gamblers etc.

I now do. Like all addicts I sneak off to "MyEbay" during the day to see if I have won anything.

I go up the road on a feeble excuses to meet the postman.

I hide little boxes that contained cameras and walk into the house with a concealed camera.

When no one is in I take the boxes out of the back of the garage and burn them.

I promise that I will buy no more cameras and then see just this tempting one I haven't got .....

I say I am "investing" and will sell them when the time is right.

How many have I sold?

Now you see why you should abandon sniping forthwith and take up gardening, riding, ice-skating .............

Paul
I know sniping is not fair...

But what is not fair is bidding on a single item on eBay, and getting outbid at the last moment, forcing you to do the whole process all over again.

If you attempted to bid on groups directly on eBay, and you win them all, you have to pay full cost for all of the items you won or risk getting Strikes on your eBay account.

If you cancelled bids directly on eBay, they brand you with a Retracting Bidder notice that alerts other sellers that you bid on their item and that you have performed a bid retraction recently, giving them a convenient opportunity to cancel your bid, regardless of your need for the item. Using AS also avoids this.

Bidding on groups through AS makes it easy to manage and cancel bids. If I win one item, I can cancel the rest of the bids with ease.

No doubt about it, AS is a winner.
Man-with-long-name-and-small-number-of-posts-speaks-heap-big-sense!

quote:
By YDOC:
But, my max bid was $30+. My "winning" bid came with 11-seconds left in the auction when a subsequent bid - with only 9-seconds left, came in at $25.89. My max bid amount trumped his higher bid. More than I wanted to pay, but I won.
Eh? How can it be more than you wanted to pay? Did the fairies come down and set up your snipe or was it you?

R2
What someone is willing to do doesn’t necessarily mean that’s what they want to do. Just because I’m willing to spend the night alone, doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t want to go out with some hot babe. “Willing” is what one settles for when they can’t have what they “want”. One may be willing to spend more money, but one WANTS to spend less. After all, isn’t that they main reason for sniping?
The difference, Rick, to use your scenario, is that our man set his top price and then whinged it was too much - he was totally in charge of his max spend. In your scenario, the 'babe' might just sober up in time and realise her mistake, forcing you into a(nother) night alone. That would be like the widget screaming "no, I don't want you to buy me..." Wink

R2
quote:
. . . is that our man set his top price and then whinged it was too much
whinge – “To persistently complain, in an irritating manner.” That word doesn’t seem to fit. Reviewing ydoc’s posts, I don’t see whinging, unless my whinge-o-meter is broken.

And, ydoc didn’t say “it was too much”, but said “More than I wanted to pay”. I must be seeing, or not seeing, something that is, or is isn’t, there. Seems like ydoc is a happy camper (versus a whinging camper), and would have been an even happier camper had it cost less – just like any buyer.

quote:
That would be like the widget screaming "no, I don't want you to buy me..."
Nope. It would be more like the buyer telling they widget seller that they want to pay less (even if they are willing to pay more). And, I don’t see where the opinion of the widget’s comes into play, assuming that the widget has an opinion, or that it would have the necessary anatomy to scream, let alone scream in English. It could be an Italian widget.

In case ydoc asks how/why the phrase, “More than I wanted to pay” could turn into a discussion about fairies and whinging, I’d have to respond with, “Beats the crap out of me!”

quote:
the 'babe' might just sober up in time and realise her mistake
I think there’s a slam in that statement. It’s something about the “sober up in time” and “realise her mistake”. Maybe I’m seeing something that isn’t there.

P.S. R2 and I “enjoy a good scrap!” – at times, even a bad one. Wink
Got it – R2 was referring to an intangible widget screaming “no, I don’t want you to buy me . . .” I was needlessly worried that AS was allowing the other kind of screaming widgets on the forum, which are always hard to understand, let alone one screaming in Italian.

So, if I have this straight, only a widget, or any item, purchased by our man has the ability to vocalize their displeasure of who is acquiring them? Sounds like he/she brings out a widget’s worst. Not returning waif Wales’ widgets to their parents would cause a family of weeping, wailing, and weary Welsh widgets (starting to sound like Elmer Fudd and the wascally wabbit).

I’m wambling.

P.S. Please don’t be alarmed/concerned/suspicious/worried/shocked that I didn’t post a winky-smiley. Two in the same day was a weally, weally big deal for me.
hahaha, I just placed my first bid with auction sniper, won, and then discussed with my dad whether or not it was fair. my point was that the method and time a person places their bid shouldn't be the only determination if it was fair they won. if the auction ends at a set time you can lose no matter how much you want it and are willing to pay. I was bidding on tickets to sleater-kinney's final concert before they break up, and that is something I cannot miss. just not an option, it's my favorite band and that show is going to be insane. so I think it was more than fair in my case, I deserved them Razz maybe it'd be unethical if they weren't allowed to use auction sniper if they wanted. but I could rationalize eating a baby to go to this show so my opinion could be a little biased.

what's really important is they are my tickets Razz
quote:
...and then discussed with my dad whether or not it was fair.

I take it your Dad thought sniping was somehow unfair? Care to share his point(s)?
quote:
... but I could rationalize eating a baby to go to this show
Eek Wow! Eek Served with white wine or red?!? Eek Eek
quote:
what's really important is they are my tickets
...or you could have been what some people label as "fair" and staying home! Wink
Fair? AS does not discriminate. Anyone can place 3 free winning snipes. Hell, one doesn’t even need to be a Yank. In fact, I see no prohibitions on cannibals in AS’ “Terms of Service”. Although the following statement, assuming CA has a law against cannibalism, might encompass a prejudice based on dietary choices:
This site is created and controlled by Auction Sniper in the State of California, USA. As such, the laws of the State of California will govern these disclaimers, terms, and conditions, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of laws.

P.S. Baby eating could imply the lack of “consenting adults”.
quote:
Mike, who, AFAIK, has never paid more than £10 for any sort of ticket
Elucidate please -- "AFAIK"? Confused?

Another thing -- maybe we are too quick to the conclusion on this baby thing (although I chuckled at the Wilde quote Big Grin). Perhaps we should have asked "baby WHAT?" Perhaps he meant baby COW, which is AKA veal and is perfectly acceptable to many. Or maybe baby FISH AKA caviar and is considered quite a delicacy. Or maybe baby CHICKENS which in the pre-hatched state often end up in omelets!
quote:
Jabbergah, there is a great search engine called Google on which you can find many things!
I didn't think an internet slang/abbrev. would be found in a google search. BOY, WAS I WRONG!! Eek 8.9 MILLION Google results?!?! Even a website by the same name!? I wouldn't be surprised if there is some college course out there for teaching internet slang-ology!
quote:
Originally posted by Rick:
quote:
has never paid more than £10 for any sort of ticket
Including traffic or parking, Mike?

Yep - (almost) including them, Rick! I only have ever collected one parking ticket (that was £10), did get done once for speeding (about 1970 - think it was £40).
Car parks (USA=parking lots) that charge >£10 I do not visit! We pay enough as it is for our motoring. Frown

PS - I do eat baby fish as in taramasalata, and baby chickens in all sorts of things - curried eggs, omelettes, carrot cake (Mike's renowned recipe) and fried eggs for breakfast when camping.
quote:
Originally posted by Jabbergah:
quote:
Jabbergah, there is a great search engine called Google on which you can find many things!
I didn't think an internet slang/abbrev. would be found in a google search. BOY, WAS I WRONG!! Eek 8.9 MILLION Google results?!?! Even a website by the same name!? I wouldn't be surprised if there is some college course out there for teaching internet slang-ology!

I believe that someone did/does a Klingon course.
I think that eBayese should be given an airing, as well, as there are many speakers of this strange dialect.
--------------
Not returning waif Wales’ widgets to their parents would cause a family of weeping, wailing, and weary Welsh widgets (starting to sound like Elmer Fudd and the wascally wabbit).
---------------------------------------

If you'd met as many 'welsh widgets' as us you'd realise that their families would be glad to get rid of them - the wailing is really stifled cheers..................

now if you were thinking about Belgian widgets and confused tham with Welsh ones you'd be correct.

OK so I had to find something else to do - the wife's threatened to confiscate the credit cards since I started sniping.......... well just one more search..............

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.