Skip to main content

I have read some of you getting snipes done a second early, or 30 seconds early.

Try a day early. Apparently I have won, and the auction is ended, except it isn't - it sitll has a day to go.

On March 31, 2008, @ 8:49pm (ie roughly 10 hours ago) MikeD posted to say the "technical issues have been resolved".

Well, sorry to say this but my Snipe was placed a day early about 1.5 hours ago, so clearly the issues are NOT resolved.

I have already had a chat with support, who pointed me to MikeD's post - clearly without going into any detail re my "snipe", which is unfortunate, as it spurred me on to fill in all the details required to register here and say:

AuctionSnipe? More like AuctionLandmine.

I am trialling this system, and very thankful I did not have to pay for it.

Aussie Ebayer attempting to "snipe" an item on www.ebay.com.au - I agree with others that this should not be affected by timezones, etc.

And how about a bit of detail about "Ebay's sudden change in their system" - sounds a little too wishy washy for me.

I have been developing internet applications for around 10 years, you can give me a bit more detail if you like :-)
Sincerely
Aaron DC
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have read a few of these forums and realised that some bids are being place one day early.

I have had the same problem

I have placed a bid with this sit on ebay and it placed the bid 1 day and 30 before the bid ended.

not happy with this as it has just put the price up on other bidders on this particular item which then means it will more than likeley cost me more in the long run if i want this item so much.

AuctionSnipe? More like AuctionLandmine

I am trialling this system, and very thankful I did not have to pay for it

fix this problem asap.

pissed off first time user
quote:
I cancelled my snipe and then resniped it and it gave me the right time remaining
I'm not support, but perhaps you've discovered the solution. Maybe any snipes that were already scheduled during the anomally that was supposedly fixed 3/31/08 are compromised. If that were a valid theory, then cancelling the snipe, then rescheduling could possibly fix this misscheduling problem? Worth a try since it seems to have worked for Kemo.
I have had 10 snipes placed today - DAYS too early.
45 further snipes for the week ahead have the finish date changed to TODAY !!
Reported this to Support and they gave a link to an answer claiming "problem resolved".
NOT TRUE
Is this an April Fools joke ? - if so A VERY EXPENSIVE ONE !!
My AuctionSniper page takes 2+ minutes to load - am I expected to cancel and re-submit 45 snipes ?
I can one up you Aaron, my bid was placed 3 DAYS early! I am the current high bidder, no duh!
I wonder if Auction Sniper will try to bill me for placing that bid?
I would recommend everyone go cancel or at least modify your bids until we hear something from Mike D. or whoever. This goof will cost me. Time will tell how much...
Hi Community,

Thanks for all your help in bringing this issue to our attention. I am going to bring these reports up with our technical team and we'll do our best to get this issue resolved as soon as possible. I'll post further updates on this situation to the following thread when additional information becomes available: https://community.auctionsniper.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/975608021/m/9511055872.

We apologize for any inconveniences this issue may be causing, and we appreciate your patience while we deal with this situation. Thanks again for understanding.

-Mike
Last edited by snipermiked
I listed 5 snipes early this morning (3:30 or so CST), closing anywhere from 3-7 days out. It's already bid one that closes in 5 days and I was able to cancel the others,(all listed for some reason to close today, which in reality they didn't for several days) but it won't let me cancel this one. I hope they fix it soon. I've already lost this one item, because of course everyone seemed to pile on once auction sniper posted my initial bid, 5 days early Frown I have been using AS for years with no problems, but this is a HUGE one. I hope they fix it soon.
Hi Community,

I have just posted a new update on the status of this issue on the following thread of our community forum: https://community.auctionsniper.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/975608021/m/9511055872. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact our customer support department by clicking the "File a Support Request" link at the bottom of our help page: http://www.auctionsniper.com/help.aspx

-Mike
I feel I must come to the defence of AS.

I had a similar experience with a snipe placed three days early. Yes, it will cost me - if the "nibblers" get going, because I placed a bid for 2X the articles true worth, as I particularly wanted it!

Am I angry? Why should I be? AS are not privy to any of eBay's commercial secrets. EBay does what it wants when it wants. In this case disregarding the fact that many others use its api. Could they have given notification? Of course they could!

So vent your anger on eBay, not AS.

A moments thought by some of you, would have focused on the obvious. It is not in AS's commercial interests to have a glitch like this.

If you are on free snipes and complaining, I respectfully suggest you get a life!

If you are a long term customer, as some of you are, blowing a fuse when something happens is not the best way to make progess in life. AS have given a reasonable explanation and are generally extremely reliable. They now appear to have fixed the problem and apologised, so what more do you want?

Paul

P.S. I have just trawled the internet for verification. I know many of you say that the explanation given is fiction. It isn't

Major rival's news board:

"eBay made a few minor changes to the item and bid pages this afternoon that caused possible issues when scheduling a new snipe for some items"
Uhhhhh...

quote:
Originally posted by Camera:
I feel I must come to the defence of AS.

quote:
I had a similar experience with a snipe placed three days early. Yes, it will cost me - if the "nibblers" get going, because I placed a bid for 2X the articles true worth, as I particularly wanted it!

Am I angry? Why should I be? AS are not privy to any of eBay's commercial secrets. EBay does what it wants when it wants. In this case disregarding the fact that many others use its api. Could they have given notification? Of course they could!

The format of an HTML web page is not a commercial secret. There is no API in use here, simply screen scraping.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeD:
eBay made a change to the way their pages are formatting that broke our code used to pick up the end dates of auctions

quote:
So vent your anger on eBay, not AS.

No. Ebay is working fine. The company that offer a service have stuffed up, completely, costing us real $$$.

quote:
A moments thought by some of you, would have focused on the obvious. It is not in AS's commercial interests to have a glitch like this.

If you are on free snipes and complaining, I respectfully suggest you get a life!

We have a life, and were hoping to keep it by using a proxy bidder. Unfortunately, we now have to watch that proxy bidder from second to second to ensure it does not completely undermine its intended purpose and cost us dearly in hard earned cash.

AS do not care if they have a glitch like this - it's the gorilla in the room and a little user backlash will not hurt them, or ebay, or the EBay sellers. If they were truly sorry, we'd all have free snipes by now - hardly a cost for them.

quote:
If you are a long term customer, as some of you are, blowing a fuse when something happens is not the best way to make progess in life. AS have given a reasonable explanation and are generally extremely reliable. They now appear to have fixed the problem and apologised, so what more do you want?

I am pretty sure most people (myself included) lodged a support complaint, and only "blew a fuse" when support told us the issue had been resolved. Well duh. How many times do you have to be told something is broken before you believe it?

quote:
P.S. I have just trawled the internet for verification. I know many of you say that the explanation given is fiction. It isn't

Major rival's news board:

"eBay made a few minor changes to the item and bid pages this afternoon that caused possible issues when scheduling a new snipe for some items"

[/QUOTE]

All this proves is that neither website have the forethought to check and test the most important (ONLY) piece of information they screen scrape from Ebay: the closing date of the auction. Everything else they do (price, bidder, bidder location, etc) is handled via EBay's responses and would not need to be checked pre-bid.

THE ONLY PIECE OF INFORMATION AS and its competitors have to grab correctly is the closing date. And after doing this for 7 years, they still can't get it right!!?

Here's what the closing date looks like:

ebay.com.au:
<nobr>(02-Apr-08 19:59:20 AEST)</nobr>

ebay.com:
<nobr>(Apr-02-08 02:59:20 PDT)</nobr>

Now, AS would have you believe that they read that value in, got the time exactly right (NB: people's "snipes" are being placed at exactly the right time, but on the wrong date) - believable? Not to me.

And how does EBay changing the date format (assuming that IS what happened), have all the snipes placed as, people have already pointed out, on April Fool's day?

That's right, it doesn't.

ie have bids placed at exactly the right time, but 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 days early? Random numbers of days early, so they all appear on April Fool's day?

It's my conjecture that AS (and its competitor[s]) were PWNT, pure and simple.
It has not been fixed for me, my page still reads the same, and I can't delete even an auction that has ended, it tells me my bid is too low and yet I have already won this!

I am a very calm person and understand that problems do happen in life, but it doesn't make me happy when I am told the situation has been fixed, when in fact it is still the same.
I was lucky as my snipes are only small, I would have been really pissed if it was something big, or something I had been waiting for. I have a big snipe coming up in a week, but I will not risk it in AS.

Please AS, if you have a problem, tell people, most will understand. But if you tell people it is all fixed when it isn't people will get grumpy!
Queensland, Australia here. (a.k.a. Heaven on Earth...)

My snipe was two days early and now I can not remove it from the list - so I can replace it and hopefully get the right closing date.

I have been using AS for many years and it's been a great tool - but only if you can trust it.....

Please fix whatever is broke Guys!

Cheers,
Rick
Hi Community,

I noticed a number of posts on the forum from customers who have had snipes placed early and have consequently been unable to modify or delete those snipes. This is occurring because, once a bid has been placed in association with a given snipe, that snipe cannot be cancelled or modified. Therefore, if you need to increase your maximum bid for such an item, I recommend submitting your new maximum bid directly through the eBay website.

We certainly understand that this is a less than ideal situation to say the least, however, we have since modified our software to account for the formatting changes eBay made Monday afternoon, so you should not encounter similar problems with any new snipes that are entered.

Any additional questions or concerns? Please feel free to contact our customer support department through the “File a Support Request” link at the bottom of our help page: http://www.auctionsniper.com/help.aspx

-Mike
Link copied to your clipboard.