Skip to main content

I thought I would share AS with people I dealt with on eBay, and earn some free snipes. One person (an eBay seller, s/he) out of ten sent me this reply:
"Please explain to me why selling an item to you on EBAY gives you the right to send me spam"

I returned with:
"Sorry it upset you, it's just an invitation to something I thought you might find useful. Just disregard it."

s/he:
Regarding the auction sniper thing, you should consider whether or not someone you don't even know would appreciate being sent unsolicited requests to join something.

me:
Thanks for your reply. Actually, I treat people the way I would like them to treat me. That's what the Good Book (Bible) says to do. Had I known you would have taken that attitude I would certainly not have sent it to you. I have never been addressed in that manner in my entire life except when the person wanted a confrontation. Truthfully, I would not have even bid on any of your items-there are plenty of other auctions.

s/he:
For future reference, posting a listing on EBAY does not imply that bidders should use that as a forum to advertise something to the seller. EBAY has a very specific policy against this, just as they do for people selling items. Bringing the bible into this conversation has nothing to do with the original point. What is clear is that you sent me an unsolicited invitation for something I didn't ask for, I RIGHTFULLY took issue with it, and now you are upset with me because I called you on it. Perhaps some people are OK being sent unsolicited emails, but I would bet that most people aren't (check out any Craigslist listing, and there is a checkbox that says if you do or do not want unsolicited email). Flip your email the other way around before casting judgement. Had I known I was going to receive some unsolicited email from you after my sale, I may have not sold you the item because as you said, there are MANY other buyers and sellers out there. It's very simple. I advertised an item for sale, not an email address to be exploited for personal gain. You bought an item, not an email address for me to send unsolicited emails to. We had a contract for an item. I(hopefully) fulfilled my end of the contract, and you did on your end. That is the end of discussion. Out of respect for both of us, it would be better to table this discussion.I will leave positive feedback regardless because from the standpoint ofthe auction, you paid quickly, and were prompt in replies. I would hope you do the same, but that is your call here. We both did what we were obligated to do in a timely and reasonable fashion. You made out a little better becasue you received a beter item than I advertised, and the shipping cost me more than I advertised. I really do appreciate what you said, and hope you take a few minutes to consider where I am coming from.

Conclusion-
What do you all think? The person came out on the offensive as a result of the AS invite that I had sent. In the closing remarks s/he refers to eBay policies regarding spam or Skype message which gives me the impression that s/he is contemplating taking legal action. Did the person have reason to get upset? s/he seemed to have calmed down, somewhat. I haven't given this seller feedback, yet.

I wonder if s/he will join AS. The person, evidently, didn't take the time to see what AS is all about. Curiously, the person's feedback rating is 82.4%. Not very high.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
I need the wise advice.
Well, region2, looks like we fooled another one.

Looking at the email from s/he (we really need another pronoun for both - "they" and "it" just doesn't cut it in the 21st century), seems the seller was very pleasant, even respectful. Took the time to tell you something other than to piss off, which is usually the response these days.
Some people like to find things to take offense at! Easier said than done, but FORGET ABOUT IT! Smile

It really is odd that this person would take such an antagonistic tack. It may have been interesting to suggest to the person that you're so p'o'ed at how they jerked you around that you'll be submitting their e-mail address to all of the REAL spammer sites you can think of!?! The tone MAY have changed at that point....

The e-mail exchange was interesting, but you probably shouldn't have exceeded 1 reply. Was your invitation a specific e-mail or was this from the InstMail feature? Contrary to the general consensus of the posters here, I USE InstaMail and have not had any negative responses to it (that I can remember!) Roll Eyes . Maybe because I include payment and shipping info in it....
quote:
Originally posted by Jabbergah:
Some people like to find things to take offense at! Easier said than done, but FORGET ABOUT IT! Smile

It really is odd that this person would take such an antagonistic tack. It may have been interesting to suggest to the person that you're so p'o'ed at how they jerked you around that you'll be submitting their e-mail address to all of the REAL spammer sites you can think of!?! The tone MAY have changed at that point....

The e-mail exchange was interesting, but you probably shouldn't have exceeded 1 reply. Was your invitation a specific e-mail or was this from the InstMail feature? Contrary to the general consensus of the posters here, I USE InstaMail and have not had any negative responses to it (that I can remember!) Roll Eyes . Maybe because I include payment and shipping info in it....

Thanks for your advice.

Your right, some people seem to be just negative about everything. Yeah, I'm just going to forget about the incident.

Actually, I was trying to earn some free snipes, and used the AS form that they provide.
quote:
Originally posted by region2:
The way to stop a conversation is to stop conversing - you've done nothing wrong so move on. Some people have little else to do and see your reaction as a victory - seems they have won as you're now worried about ebay's punishment. It'll never happen...

R2

Thanks. You're right, nothing has happened nor will happen.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.