Skip to main content

Want to share your favorite eBay tip? Here are a couple of mine ...
  • Search elsewhere
    Often you can get an item for a lot less from another source. I frequently see people bidding the big bucks on items they could purchase locally or through another online retailer quite reasonably. Use google, use pricewatch, look in second hand or discount stores. Make sure your 'bargain' really is!

• Search Completed Auctions
    That 'rare' item just might not be as rare as the seller wants you to think! You can also see what others have paid for this item so you don't over bid

• Learn how to search
    Search for misspellings! You can use eBay's 'or' function to easily search on multiple search strings ... i.e.
    doll +(donny,marie,peewee,pee-wee)
    will find all auctions for donny dolls, marie dolls or pee-wee dolls

• Know your shipping costs
    Is the shipping/handling listed in the auction? Is it appropriate for this item? If it isn't listed, contact the seller and ask!

Mother Mary Says, 'HONESTLY! you're just ruint!'
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

READ the whole description!! I know this sounds dumb, but a couple times I've gotten so excited by the photo of something that I neglected to read important information.
Also take notice of where it is coming from if the shipping says "actual charges", because it can make a big difference if it's coming from out of your country.
I think when you look at alot of items you get careless of these things.

The best things in life are furry....and flowers!
One of the items I am looking for is an antiquity - a terracotta oil lamp from Israel dating to the time of Christ. I have an ebay search set up, and I see several a week. About half of them state that they are rare. Roll Eyes Yeah, it's so rare that I could buy 2-3 each week. Sheesh.

The only reason I haven't gotten one yet is that I haven't talked myself (or my wife) into spending the money on it yet. So, I keep watching, and if I see a "steal", I'll steal it. Big Grin If not, I'll wait until our tax refund comes, and snipe the next one I see (that fits my criteria).

Last edited {1}
I like bjones' ideas - very helpful!

Also, to agree with MG - Reading the info is necessary. My husband has been looking for an additional guitar amp, and sees dozens of the same type thing. He almost put a snipe in on one until he read buried somewhere in a long body of text that this one didn't work and they didn't know why. Not encouraging, since the seller is a store with a repair shop included!

My tip is to keep a ruler by my computer to help me gauge measurements when they are given.(The one I use is 18" with English and metric units.) Photos can be so deceiving! A good photographer with a good camera can make a dollhouse look like some your whole family could move into! I have bought a lot of jewelry where gem size is often given in mm and/or carats (and there are charts on the web to help figure that out.) People bid things way high, then later leave neg feedback because "the earrings were so much smaller than they looked in the picture". They just went off the picture and never checked actual dimensions given. I have also bought quite a few mineral/crystal/rock specimens and seen the same thing. Same with seashells. Same with collectible glassware. Same with teapots, etc. Gotta make sure you know what you're bidding on!
I bought a floor Arvin Heater. It came and I plugged it in - stone dead. I told the seller. He said, I never said it worked - He said what you see in the picture is what you get. ( I got it.)
So now I ask the obvious: Does it work?

When you see the phrase - "What you see"....start running.....

When I see no box I wonder - No Manual. I question? Used once or what you see is what you get you know they picked it up off the curb on clean-up day.
quote:
Originally posted by MG intern:
LOL What's a tax "refund" ??!! Confused Wink

tax "refund" [n]:

1. When the government acknowledges that money it took from you without your permission actually does belong to you and returns it. Eek

2. The repayment on an interest-free loan you made the government throughout the year by not calculating your tax burden correctly. Big Grin

3. Enforced savings for a big-dollar purchase with a negative return on investment due to inflation.

MG: take your pick from the above list. Smile Smile Smile

(Why do I have a refund this year? I have a 1-year old child (aka tax deduction Eek) and my wife no longer works (for a paycheck).)

Last edited {1}
quote:

I wonder if I could deduct my kitties as "children"! Razz

My dog takes as much energy/$$$ as a 5 year old! I think I should be able to claim him! Smile

BTW, was meaning to tell you how nice your garden is! When I hit the lotto I'm gonna dig my yard up and plant natives (well, I'm going to skip the skunk cabbage). Right now it's a combo of grass, moss and these pretty little yellow flowers (Taraxacum officinale). I've got an unheated greenhouse that's currently home to a happy hoard of aphids - they're preventing my sweet peas from blooming Frown I'm going to claim temporary insanity and spray 'em dead, dead, DEAD! Wink

Ohhhh, aphids suck. (heh ! yea they do! )

Thanks, my gardens are alot of work but I do enjoy doing it sooo much. Nice thing about the pictures is you can't see the bugs from that far away!! The corn bugs ruin them about aug. and I could just scream. Mad heh, actually I did!!

I wish I had a greenhouse somemtimes. But then it would be one more thing to do.....
Right now I'm getting soooooo frustrated with my self. I'm not healing up from surgery and getting any energy back fast enough. It will be three weeks thursday. Frown Hurry up spring!!

The best things in life are furry....and flowers!
After Surgery I had the same problem. I went to Wal-Mart and got some Vitamin B-12. The All Natural Brand by Spring Valley - Timed release 1,000mcg One every morning . Boy what a difference I noticed the tired was gone in a week. Ask Your Doctor about B-12 & read the FDA Opinion on B-12 and tired Blood. I'm not telling you to buy it that would be medical advice which only your doctor can give. Ask Him.
if its OK for you with other things your taking.
Last edited {1}
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.M:
One of my boy's in Indiana bought a place in the country with several big greenhouses. They grow herbs and sell to supermarkets. Lot and lots of work, but his wife is really into it.

Mine seems to grow bugs and slugs Wink I have a rosemary 'hedge' along one side of my house. When I looked at the planting instructions, it said rosemary likes sunny, well drained locations (the area I planted in gets morning sun only and in Seattle, is far from 'well drained'). Needless to say, the rosemary is now about 6 feet tall and the same wide! I calculate it's worth several thousands of dollars if I package it into tiny bags and sell it like the grocery stores do Smile And it's even organic!

MGI- unless you heat/cool your greenhouse it really isn't that much trouble. I use mine to start plants for the yard. Seeds are so much cheaper and fun to grow! If you get one, believe the people that say, 'Get the biggest one you can afford'. Mine's 8x15 and feels cramped! Also, refuse to help the delivery people haul it around - that's how I ruptured the disc in my back Frown

I had one for 10 years - 140 ft long. It was a back breaker but loved it.. When Oil went to $1.40 a gal. I had to let 20M geraniums freeze in December. When I figure out pictures I'll show you a photo of them in Bloom.. The place is now a winery & gift shop. New owners got new business start up money from NY State.
I planted Rosemary for my Dad in Sequim. I baked four big potatoes in slices with a glass of milk, half stick of butter and rosemary. Top with foil. Dad raved about them but couldn't get him to use spices. I wash the taters and leave the skins on - really good dish..of course I grate a little cheese on top.
In summer I bake it in a foil pan so there's no clean up. When I get a buy on Blue onion I slice one of them in sometimes.
E-Mail addresses would be great - no big deal
I'd like Derek's address - I could mail him the Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookies like my mom sent me to Korea...
And as for a "Disc" I can't even say the word without hurting all over...
Time for me to have meal #4 a bowl of broth and my B12 and dream of chocolate and pudding and cream filled doughnuts and coffee.
Good night all - mory ....Mrs M your only as old as your mind..
Last edited {1}
quote:
BJones......ewww, don't say ruptured disc. I have never felt such pain in my life. I thought I was going to go crazy. Well, maybe having my kids hurt that bad, but at least I got a prize for that pain!! Eek

I spent months of 3 x per week visits to the chiropractor. The best remedy was getting a new mattress. It changed almost constant searing pain into a much more manageable dull throb. Anything involving bending at the waist will still put me down - one day I'm going for the surgery.

Last edited {1}
SS; You can only do it once every six weeks - It's not complex -no sugar salt or caffeine -take vitamin supplements plus Calcium then excercise.. We all know what it takes. I got a treadmill and walk 3 times a day -I increase time not speed. For me , water is the key, I drink 3 gal. I fill three jugs and don't go to bed until they are empty. I see a Dr and a Dietician every month. I have two medical plans and push them to the max. If I cheat, I charge myself for it. Yesterday I picked up a chocolate coated Cherry at the Mobil. cash register - when I got home I walked six miles. It wasn't worth it - I am beat today. I always use a credit card at the pump so I am not tempted . usually ..

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.