Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The little scrolling box you are referring to is a most likely a Java Script. Go to the listing you are interested in, Click on View in your tool bar, and then click on Source. Scroll down to until you see the Java Script in the html code. You can then get an idea of what Java Script was used to create the scrolling box, then cut and paste. You may need to email the seller, to find out where the Java Script originated if there is a copyright.

On the wallpaper, many sellers create their own wall paper using PSP, Photo shop or other editing tools. There are down-loadable programs and CDs for sale with wallpaper. What kind of wall paper are you looking for? You can also find free wallpaper that you can save to your computer that is available for personal and commercial use. Search free wallpaper on Google. Note: Some sites require a link back when using their wallpaper.
Sorry if I am repeating what you already know Smile

When you are creating a listing (i will assume you are listing through the *selling* tab and not turbo lister) when you get to the *provide pictures and details* page, if you scroll down you will see *select a theme*. This is what most sellers will unless you want to create your own.

If you are using turbo lister its basically the same, but you dont get as many options.
I have debated on whether to use a fancy background on my listings, and have opted not to so far.

I find many of them to be annoying and too busy, especially when combined with all kinds of other bells and whistles (bright colors, things flashing, or DARK backgrounds with dark text that is nearly impossible to read.) Plus it costs extra to use them!

Some people have noted that for those with slower PCs and connections, listings with fancy backgrounds and other stuff might take longer to load. I suspect the ones that eBay offers for use are not likely to cause those types of problems, but I'm not certain.

I do wonder if a fancier-looking listing brings in more bids/bucks, however. Sometimes those simple little mom-n-pop listings are the ones that have the better deals... the people that can afford the big bucks for the more expensive listings likely know what the value is of every last widget they sell, and are not likely to be selling them for much of a deal.

Ok... I think I'm rambling now... bye for now!

Dag
I totally agree with the over done pages! I use turbo lister and love the simple backgrounds and borders. They don't slow your machine down and look great for presentation.
Do try to make your colors on the page complimentary. You can check me out on eBay under seller name nutmag.
As Grandpa used to say... Good Luck to You Now!
My own personal view is to leave a plain basic background, as earlier messages say...it can be rather annoying having pretty flowers etc all over the screen.

The thing that annoys me most though is that silly little text that some people have floating around the mouse pointer, wherever you move the mouse that damn text follows you!

My recent favourite is to include a picture in the Gallery, so browsers get a small glimpse of the item for sale, so far, I have found it to be a successful, cheap addition to my sales.

Cheers

Chadlad
When I sell an item, I use Dreamweaver (a web design tool) to create a nice looking page. This can incorporate backgrounds, javascript etc to give a nice layout. Then I copy the entire page ( <BODY> to </BODY> tags ) into the eBay selling page box. Voila! Instant Karma! That's how it's done...

I always try to leave the background to the whole page as normal, just my 'bit' in the middle is customised this way. I also do clever things with the image that eBay loads for you so that it appears in the middle of the listing - all easy stuff for a web designer with no social life! Wink
quote:
The thing that annoys me most though is that silly little text that some people have floating around the mouse pointer, wherever you move the mouse that damn text follows you!

Same here. If I open an auction page with that I'll close it out and look elsewhere. I will not tolerate little words or sparkly things following my pointer around.

I keep my auction pages plain with no backgrounds whatsoever. All the buyer needs to see is the description and a scan of my item.
Region2: I used to do the same thing, only I used Front Page instead of Dream Weaver. I've used Dream Weaver in the pasy at a previous job I had, building a website for a car dealer but I didn't find it too user friendly for a moron such as myself. I'm not a web designer, just a computer nerd who likes to try new things. But now I have so many listings that I don't have time to use Front Page for my listings anymore and I've moved onto Turbo Lister. But, seeing as how you are a web designer, I'd really like to pick your brain on how to do a few things with eBay. I am hoping you would know how to do them. Please reply if you'd be willing to help me. THANKS!

dagnabitgrabit: Just so you know, from my experience, the fancier listings DO bring alot more money. I've done the eBay thing both ways and the little bit of extra time it takes to make a listing look more appealing definately pays off at closing time. It's EXACTLY the reason I was soliciting advice from my fellow snipers.

Mrs. M: I'm with you. I don't list ANYTHING, not even my cheapest, crappiest merchandise (as if I had any, wink wink)without a gallery picture. Most of my listings have at least three pictures. The pix help describe the merchandise, so I can take less time doing it with a written description.

Everyone else who responded: I really appreciate your input. TANX!!
I used an el cheapo website builder to make a template. It is not too fancy, just makes it so my auction text is in different colors and in neat looking boxes. I include a generic shipping and handling section filled with my most common shipping terms. (Most items I sell I ship for $2 flat rate)

I then took that page and did the copy between the body tags like mentioned before, and saved them in NOTEPAD as a TEXT File. Why? Because it is a lot faster to open up and copy again and again.

When I need to list a single item on eBays SYI form I can quickly cut and paste into SYI, add a description within the description cell, and double check the shipping costs if need be, then continue with the normal listing process. YOu can put something in the description cell during the design proccess to make it stand out more in the text format, such as ##### or @@@@@@@.

This proccess has worked well for me, and dresses up the listing without going overboard. No one likes to wait 5 minutes for the sparkly text, background image and sound, and cursor trails to load! I also avoid changing the fonts just incase the user does not have that font loaded, otherwise their text may look out of wack.
My MIL (Mother In Law) has just started selling and she found that site.

I havent used it yet, as hubbie is a coder, I think I would get shot, I struggled with HTML and Dream Weaver until I got what I wanted.

I have a very basic boxy type layout, its simple, easy to read but looks smart.

I seriously HATE!!! the script that follows your pointer - I am sure the Seller thinks its *cute* NO SIREEEE - its downright bloody annoying.

Lexie
You can use free-backgrounds.com and find nice backgrounds which are not too busy or flashy.

It is fun to be able to use HTML to make your eBay listings more flashy. I feel this can be done without going overboard and still presenting a unique and more "fun" listing for viewers. Some items may just need a little spicing up for presentation, like when we dress up for picture day or studio pictures.

Check out this page to see free eBay hints and tips to help you out. If you have questions about HTML graphics, etc., that is a good place to start. You can contact me if you have any other questions I may be able to answer. I'm happy to help if I can! Smile I was there once too.

Regards,
eBay user: my_own_website
<http://www.ebaysavings.com>
...all of those flashing lights, music (especially because every time you come back to or change your screen in that auction listing, up pops that Mad disgusting brown media player window Mad and everything halts until you do something with it), and, yes, that cursor trailing text. My personal preference is a plain listing with just the basic information. If I want to watch a video, I can turn on the tv. Gee, am I venting too much?

Dave

Dave

"The waist is a terrible thing to mind."
Last edited {1}
Gee Dave,
Did you just come back from one of those listings with all that stuff?? Razz

I went to one the other day that had this annoying little box that scrolled up and down the page while I was trying to read ...it said..."click here for sellers other listing"...CRAP!!! that was annoying. For that reason along I DIDNT open the sellers other listings and closed the page Smile LESS is BEST!!

Lexie
Music on a listing is my BIGGEST pet-peeve -- as soon as it starts, I hit the "Back" button as fast as I can! I once tried to help a friend design a web-store -- I should have known when she insisted on music that it wasn't going to work out...

I don't mind wall-paper as long as it's not too cutsey. Keep it to the theme of the auction (like cactuses in the background of my favorite sellers' auctions) but make sure it's not busy or distracting, and remember that "cool" colors (blue, green) tend to fade into the distance, which is good for a background, while "Hot" colors (red, yellow) jump to the foreground, which is distracting.

This seller >>JIIMZ<< has some of my favorite backgrounds.

Sorry but you lost me at three minutes and I am a cactus lover. The same thing happened last night, I tried to load a site to buy a cake from Colin Street Bakery. Several high res cake photos on the site took 5 minutes to open. I was so mad I disconnected and called them on the phone and ranted. They think all buyers have a high speed connection and a razor sharp monitor - maybe someday...
Instead of a site counter it should count the number of disconnects before the site gets loaded and maybe they would realize they need to simplify the opening graphics. Then half the site has drop out white letters over light pastel backgrounds - they make it very hard to give them business.
My absolute Pet Peeve is 1/2 com - if you buy a tape from them they INSIST on showing you pictures and prices on 12 like items before letting you check out..Very Pushy I only go there now as a last resort. & I don't see them changing - it's making them sales.. mory
Last edited {1}
As a web developer, I use the 14 second rule. If the page can't load in 14 seconds using a 56K modem, it's too big and I re-work it. I make an exception for some flash animations, but not those stupid splash screens.

On pages other than the home page, longer load times are acceptable, IF they tell me to expect a delay. I use a cable modem at home (10x the speed of modem), and at work I have 2 T-1's at my disposal Cool (hmm, where's the *evil grin smiley* when you need it). So if a page takes me any more than 5 seconds to load, it's too long!

I better get off my soapbox, before I get started on standards compliance! Roll Eyes

(edit)Hey, my animation has a white background! I better fix it.(/edit)
Last edited {1}
Mrs. M, you're right, it is kind of busy. If it weren't cactuses, I would probably be complaining instead of complimenting! (oh, well...)

Sorry about the slow load, Mory. That's an excellent reason NOT to use wallpaper, if it affects load time on slower computers. Also to crop out any part of the picture you don't need, and save it in a format that makes for as small a file-size as possible.

This particular seller always puts up lots of great pictures -- I have a fast connection, so I love it, but it's not so long ago that I was in your place.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.