Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

From ebay's help:

A reserve price is the lowest price a seller is willing to sell an item. Other members can't see the reserve price, but they'll see that a listing has a reserve and whether it's been met.

If bidding doesn't reach the reserve price, the seller isn't obligated to sell the item. Also, the reserve price option is only available in an online auction format. It's not available for Buy It Now format or Classified Ads.
Here might be a place where that <otherwise silly> "bid enhancement" feature might work. Since AS will not let you place a snipe for more than the BIN price, you can put an extra amount in the "bid enhancement" to increase your maximum to something just higher than the BIN price.

This MAY result in your winning the auction in case there are two bidders waiting to bid just under the BIN price before the close of the auction.
Here's a real life example: A desired item is listed with a $100 starting bid and a $200 BIN price.

I want it but I don't want to pay more than I have to. So, I tell AS that my maximum bid is $199, with a bid enhancement of $10. Essentially, I'm betting that I'll get it for less than the BIN price, but since I don't want to lose it, I'll pay up to $10 more if there's a challenge.

Of course, someone could come along and pay the BIN price and I'm out, but that's the chance I take. It usually works out in my favor, though.
quote:
If there's a BIN price, just put in a manual bid at the current lowest bid. That will "convert" the auction to a regular auction. No more BIN. Nobody can BIN after any bid has been entered.

This is true for auctions that include a BIN and do NOT have a reserve price. However, if the listing ALSO has a reserve price, as long as the reserve has not yet been equalled or exceeded by the bid price, the BIN will stay available.

Say a listing has opening bid of $0.01,
a reserve bid of $50 (which we wouldn't know),
and a Buy It Now price of $100.

In this example, all top bids from $0.01 to $49.99 will not cause the BIN to disappear -- it will remain available until the current high bid in the auction is $50 or higher.

The OP has queried whether Auctionsniper could do something within a very specific limited window. The following conditions would have to be present:
1) The auction MUST have both a BIN AND a reserve price.
2) The bid the sniper enters into AS MUST be less than the (unknown) reserve price.
3) AS must monitor the auction closely enough to not miss executing the BIN AFTER the sniper's snipe bid has been exceeded but BEFORE the bidding exceeds the reserve price (at which time the BIN becomes unavailable).
4) AS must be able to execute a BIN.

First off, as far as I know AS does not have the capability of exercising a BIN. Next, I don't know if AS monitors listings so closely prior to the end of the listing as to avoid missing the window of opportunity specified in point #3 above. And finally, the above points #1 & #2 describe an application so narrow and specific, that were AS to make such a functionality available, the OP may be the ONLY user to find such a capability useful!

Um,...long post to say, no, AS can't do what the OP asked, nor is it likely such a feature will be added to the program anytime soon!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.