Skip to main content

What does it mean when an auction just disappears, and Ebay says "this listing has been removed or ir no longer available". Who cancelled it? Seller? It goes on to say "if the listing was removed by Ebay, consider it cancelled". This was a gemstone, not a gun or a body part. Anyone know what the hell happened? I was really anxious to win this today
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sometimes a person decides to sell it off auction and simply cancels it or it damaged. There are a lot of things that can happen.

From eBay:
Select a reason for ending your listing early. The reason will appear on the Closed Item page.

The item is no longer available for sale.
There was an error in the starting price or reserve amount.
There was an error in the listing.
The item was lost or broken.

( Gee, now I worry if Rick will feel my answer is complete enough. Roll Eyes)
Many of these listings are hacked eBay accounts using phished passwords. You know those emails you get that are fake and try and get your password? Well some sellers are stupid enough to fall for that. Once they do the hackers then list fake items on their accounts.

Consider yourself lucky that eBay may have just saved you from getting your money stolen by someone in China.

Here are nearly 250 items where you'd be ripped off and lose all your money.

In particular here is a hacked account. Notice the 1 day listing. Hackers love that because eBay is too stupid to catch them before the 1 day is up most of the time:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220011927396

If eBay does manage to catch them though you will end up seeing that message you saw when you click this link. Otherwise you will see the listing like I do right now.

I personally would never bid on a 1 day auction. The chance it's a hacker using a stolen eBay account is not worth the risk.
I started out with week long auctions, then three day. I decided to give the one day auctions a try when they first offered them. The profit margin is about the same and I can sell seven in a week instead of one or two. Sometimes they don't all sell, but generally they do. I list through Auctiva so the cost is almost zero.

I am talking about repetitive merchandise. When I list something such as a vehicle, yes I do list it for three to seven days. However, I am not sure how much is gained. Normally people look at an item when it is newly listed and again during the last day.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.