Skip to main content

OK... This is my 1st post on my 1st day looking at this site. I know better than to lead with my chin, but this is one of those times when I DON'T CARE. That being said, please be aware that I have spent the last 5 hours reading various posts, replies, rants and raves. All I can say is CHILL!
My background allows me a unique perspective on this hornets nest that I have stumbled upon today. I have been playing with computers practically every day since 1981. In fact my computer days go back to the mid to late 1960's where at the age of 10 I had the opportunity to start programming computers. At that time decks of cards were punched and sorted. CRTs (monitors) would come much later.
I was able to use the computers at night in return for punching others cards and sorting them.
For those of you who have been around here the longest, ask yourselves this question: 'How many times have I used this service without a problem?' I could paraphrase The Bard and say (S)he who lives by the snipe dies by the snipe. That would probably just tick you off though. Lets face it, this setup has run SO smoothly, that you have come to trust it as much as you would a bridge you travel over every day.
10 years without a problem? Oh excuse me... 7 days of down time. Are you kidding me? That comes out to less than 2 tenths of 1 percent! Thats better than 99.8%. Even Our Lord fell 3 times! Now think about it, what are you getting for your buck? (those that actually spend a buck) You are getting a competitive advantage that many others don't even know exists! Lets not put lipstick on a pig! It is what it is, so suck it up and deal. -Ed
Uncle Al I ain't!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

edbaby57 I too agree with you!

R2, here's me thinking you were a youngster!

I started on an Elliot 803 & ticker tape, then Fortran on a CDC at Imperial.

I remember the day the Beeb arrived and I could see a whole page in its glorious 80 col display.

Still think that the youngsters don't know what they are missing not having a built in A to D converter and exploring the world of linking mechanical & electronic gizmos to their computers.

Ah the good old days. Mind you I suppose my Digital SLR now has more computing power than that old Elliot!

Paul
quote:
Originally posted by Rick:
A bunch of youngsters. I've got you all beat. My real name is Herman Hollerith Hollerick.

Hermie Hollerith! How the hell are ya'? Thanks for saving all those trees by shrinking down the deck. You were way ahead of your time on that score. How you managed to make them even thinner is beyond me. First ya' had to cut all those olde cards in less than half, then run 'em over with a steam roller perhaps?
I like your icon. Are you willing to share where you got it, or the tools you used to develop it? I would like to make one like it. Don't worry, it'll be different enough from yours as to not be confused. I have been a volunteer trapping and sometimes fairly successful at taming feral cats here in NH. I have been on sabbatical from the feral 'thang for the past year or so. Working with a no kill animal shelter, those cats that didn't 'come around' were placed on working farms to control rodent populations.
Has anyone here been using Auctiva? I am in the process of setting up for the selling end of auctioning and it looks like they have some decent tools for auctioning. I found this site from that site.
- Ed
quote:
I like your icon. Are you willing to share where you got it, or the tools you used to develop it?
Definitely. I stole it from someone else, so no pride of authorship.

quote:
I have been a volunteer trapping and sometimes fairly successful at taming feral cats here in NH.
If you haven’t already seen this, then I suspect you would enjoy it:
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Cats_of_Rome/70091482?trki...strkid=222367041_0_0
Disclaimer on above link: Viewer caution is advised. Content may not be appropriate for dog-people.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.