Skip to main content

Hi,
I received a 2nd chance offer email from a seller for being the 2nd high bidder.
Below is the email ..

is this for real??

Good news !!! You expressed interest in this item by bidding, however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder.In compliance with eBay policy, the seller (xxxxxx@yahoo.com ) is making you this Second Chance Offer. The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because the winning bidder of this auction was unable to complete the transaction.In compliance with eBay policy , the seller of this item is making this Second Chance Offer to you at your LAST BID PRICE. If you accept this offer, you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection. To purchase this item,contact the seller at (xxxxxxx@yahoo.com). After receiving this offer you are obligated to contact the seller (xxxxxxx@yahoo.com),accept or decline the offer. Thank you, eBay
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Might be dodgy - check that the links are what they seem - sometimes www.paypal.com actually links to www.takeallyourmoney.com.
How 2nd chance offers work is that you get a link to Buy It Now page for the item which expires in a certain time. If you don't get that link then steer clear.

Your message is asking you to email the seller directly so it is probably dodgy. Use the link in the original posting to ask the seller if it's genuine.

If in doubt, forward to spoof@ebay.com

R2
Did some more digging on the ebay community boards and found out that most items that seel for over $500 will have a similar email sent to the 2nd highest bidder. Such as I was.

If it was a legitimate offer it would ONLY come through My Messages on my ebay. While I did contact the seller, I only did so through ebay, NOT using the email that was listed in the offer. Boy did the email look legit!

Thanks for the ideas.
quote:
:I would never buy the second chance.
Reason: Sounds like they had a shill run the price up and then back out, leaving you with an over priced item.
Since most second chance offers are extended for exactly the price that one bid, to me it is usually an easy call. If I were willing to pay a specific price for an item, and now the item, which I did not win, is available for the price that I had been willing to pay, then I accept the offer, so long as the offer is sent via ebay's message system.

To me it is not a matter of intrigue, or guessing others' motivations; it is a way to acquire the item that I had desired to obtain, at the very same price that I had offered.
quote:
I would never buy the second chance.
Reason: Sounds like they had a shill run the price up and then back out, leaving you with an over priced item.
Second chance offers do not arise out of price issues only. If the winning bidder backs out of a deal, a 2nd chance offer is quicker than relisting. As a seller, I OFTEN extend 2nd chance offers since I usually have more than 1 of the item. Obviously I'm not dealing with rare or collectable items. Apparently many ebayers have attitudes similar to Shop's regarding 2nd chance offers -- only a fraction of my 2nd chance offers are accepted....
My experience as a first time seller was positive with eBay's second chance offer system. In the initial first eBay sale, I put one of my two identical items up for bid to see how it would go and got a fair price for the first one. As I did have a second one and the next offer was so close to the sale price of the first, I did extend the second offer. My expert ebayer guru (who I respect and recommended AS to me) said that it might look like a schill so I felt kind of strange about it, but then a day or two later the bidder accepted the offer so in the end I was happy with my experience.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.