Skip to main content

I just lost out on a car that I wanted on eBay because Auction Sniper failed to bid on the item, listing invalid userid/pass as the reason. THAT REASON WAS NOT POSTED UNTIL AFTER THE AUCTION ENDED!!! Auction Sniper accepted my bid and even accepted an increase to my bid BUT DID NOT BID ON THE ITEM. Within the last six weeks, I was successful in bidding on an ebay item through Auction Sniper even though Auction Sniper listed the status as invalid userid/id What the f**k is going on???
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi ginettag12p,

We are sorry to hear you lost that auction. I reviewed your account and at the time the auction ended it appears your password was incorrect (did not match between our site and ebay). It appears about an hour after it ended your password was updated on ebay which likely resolved the issue. Unfortunately that was too late for us to win for you. We need to do a better job of messaging when credentials don't match, we are actively working to improve in this area.

If you are still experiencing issues please let us know and we will investigate further.

-Stephanie
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper Stephanie:
Hi ginettag12p,

We are sorry to hear you lost that auction. I reviewed your account and at the time the auction ended it appears your password was incorrect (did not match between our site and ebay). It appears about an hour after it ended your password was updated on ebay which likely resolved the issue. Unfortunately that was too late for us to win for you. We need to do a better job of messaging when credentials don't match, we are actively working to improve in this area.

If you are still experiencing issues please let us know and we will investigate further.

-Stephanie

When I contacted the Auction Sniper office and FINALLY got to speak to a human, he told me what the REAL problem was: To stop snipers, eBay sometimes requires additional verification when Auction Sniper makes a bid. That's what happened when you FAILED to post my Auction Sniper bid. Own up to it and fix it or eBay is going to put you out of business!
Hi ginettag12p,

What we see with the eBay login page is that a certain number of invalid logins will lead to a "blocked" state which requires additional verification in the form of a CAPTCHA challenge (as you probably saw in the snipe confirmation page). It doesn't matter whether the invalid logins came from you, from us, from browser auto-completion, or from some other user (malicious or not). It doesn't even matter if the bad logins were all at once or over some period of time. Sometimes this is a globally blocked state and other times it seems to apply only to certain locations. eBay is trying to block malicious users and bots by changing the rules from time to time, but we occasionally get caught up by this extra verification layer.

When this happens, the blocked state typically lasts for a day or so, and unfortunately it can affect every login attempt. Our software is unable to provide the CAPTCHA numbers when challenged and the bid fails. This is fairly rare but it is troubling, and we share your frustration. We are working to handle these conditions better where we can, but we have to work within the confines of what eBay presents us.

Once the extra challenge is lifted, typically by the next day, bidding and sniping can resume as normal. Hopefully your account is back to a good working state by now.

Regards,
Todd

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.