Skip to main content

Dear all,

Despite reading the FAQ and quite a few posts on this forum, I'm still confused. I'm a total newbie on eBay and AS, never have bought anything in an auction.

Therefore I have a question:

* An item on eBay starts off on $10,-
* There are some bids, causing the price to go up to $15,-
* My maximum bid is set on $50,- and AS bids that at the last second, winning me the auction.

Now the big question: do I have to pay $50 for the item, or do I pay the next increment?

I'm sure the answer is somewhere in the AS and/or eBay FAQ or something, I just can't find it.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

AS bids once, at your max. eBay has a proxy bid system that applies the snipe. In your example, if the max bid was $15 then you'd win at $16 (assuming the next increment is $1). However, if the max bid was actually $50 or more then it would show at $15 until yours arrives then you'd lose.
So read up on eBay's proxy bidding to be in the know!

R2
quote:
However, if the max bid was actually $50 or more then it would show at $15 until yours arrives then you'd lose.

So, if I understand correctly:

* After some bidding, the price goes up to $14,-
* Someone then bids $50,- price goes up to $15,-
* I bid $50,- too but I lose 'cause of the other guy's $50,-
* I'd have won if I bade $51,-

Right?
I think I understand that bit now. Thanks for your answers!

One thing I don't understand, though: if the current price of the item is $15 and I bid $51, the price only goes up to $16,-
The only way for someone to win the auction is to bid more than my $51, but even if he bids $52 the actual price will only increase to $17,-

Why not bid $1000 ?
Ok, let me get this straight:

* Price went up to $15
* I bid $51, causing the price to go up to $16
* If no one bids after that, I win and pay $16

* BUT... if the price still is $16 and someone bids $20 (not knowing I bade $51) I still win but I have to pay $21 (or whatever the first increment after $20 is), unless someone bids more than my $51.

Correct so far?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.