Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by region2:
Numpty!
Not necessarily. If all bidders could place one, and only one, bid perhaps they would bid much higher. If there were two or more motivated one-bid bidders, it’s possible the auction would close at a much higher price. Much to easy, and arrogant, to discount the seller as a “numpty”.
I've come upon this thread rather belatedly. Rick an interesting point but I don't think it relates to what the seller seems to be complaining about. What he calls 'bid stacking' just seems to be the current leading bidder increasing his maximum bid, which is something eBay positively encourages. I am not sure how something that is invisible to other users unless they look at the bid history is going to deter competition. To them the current leading bid is typically unchanged (though it might go up slightly to establish the proper increment over the second bid - if that still happens). Indeed I would say the user potentially has things back to front as a bidder building up to his maximum slowly might drag other bidders into a bidding war, whereas one large maximum might just cause other bidders to concede defeat early. On the other hand of course one large bid can be nibbled away at. Either way the seller wins and the buyer who bid most would win. Not with this seller though...

Perhaps I've missed his point. As his is the only mention of bid stacking in this context I've found on the net I am a bit mystified.
quote:
Originally posted by Grunson:
What he calls 'bid stacking' just seems to be the current leading bidder increasing his maximum bid, which is something eBay positively encourages.

True enough. If one bids manually, early in the auction, near the end of the auction one sees notices from eBay on the auction page that encourage the bidder to "not let the item get away," meaning that the bid should be increased.
I don't know if this is still possible, but I remember years ago placing two proxy bids at the same amount (perhaps before I discovered sniping, don't remember).

This was to discourage someone from bidding on the item so I would get it for a small amount. Someone would see 2 bids, figure my second bid was higher, and not bid. Of course, if they decided to nibble it wouldn't work, but I wasn't willing to pay more than a small amount anyway. Sometimes I won, sometimes I didn't. I have no idea how many times I "scared someone off", if ever.

Maybe this is what the seller is po'd about.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.