Skip to main content

Reply to "Why keep the reserve a secret??"

quote:
Originally posted by big steve:

With ebay I want to know up front if there is a possibility of buying the thing. My funds are not unlimited so I don't tolerate earmarking X amount of money for a week and finding out after the fact I had no chance to buy at my high bid. Too bad more sellers don't understand this.

Hi all, new lurker here...
Big Steve, Not really. Unless I've got it all wrong, if you bid your max on item A which has a reserve price and you don't make that reserve the page shows up with your bid marked with a "reserve not met" line. This way you know right away that you either need to bid more or your free to use that set aside money or something else. Likewise if you hit the reserve price the line reads "reserve met" and you know you're in the running.

quote:

The real genius sellers (imho) are the ones who list their reserve price in the item description. Whenever I see this I send them an email and thank them. Big Grin

Thank you and best wishes,
BDS

While I've only sold a few things (and never used a reserve)I would say about half the time I've ended up with Dags feeling that I'm "giving" something away because my starting price was too low and I didn't have a reserve.
But hey thats just my 2 cents...

Kev