Skip to main content

Reply to "why I was outbid?"

Bwillia only entered one bid, at 7:05:28. All we can tell about it is that the amount was 202.50 or greater. It probably was more, but there's no way to know. Ebay hides the true amount everyone bids, and only shows what it needs to decide who wins. Bwillia might have bid $300, or $500, or $210. Since your bids were lower than that, ebay's computers automatically compared the two bids, and raised bwillias bid just enough to beat your bid.

The reason the winning bid is exactly $2.50 more than your maximum is because that's the "bid increment" that ebay uses -- that's the amount that it uses to raise the bids, a little bit at a time, until one or the other wins. If Bwillia had bid $250 and you bid $210, Bwillia would win for $212.50.

The reason the time is out of order is that ebay shows you the time when Bwillia actually entered his/her bid, not when ebay's computers raise it against yours. When you use ebay's proxy system, you enter your maximum bid, then you sit back and let ebay do the rest.

Your other question was "Would I have won if I had used Auction Sniper"? and the answer is probably no. The only thing Auction Sniper does is hold your bid until the last few seconds before the end of the auction. You still have to be the highest bid to win. When Bwillia placed his bid, the maximum bid showing was $150. He had no way of knowing how much more than that you had bid. And yet he bid very high. If you had put in a snipe for $200, you still would have lost, since his maximum bid was more than that.

Does that make sense? If not, you might try reading ebay's Help sections on Proxy Bidding and Bid Increments. That's where your answers are.