Skip to main content

Reply to "Why doesn't ebay offer sniping?"

I'm not sure how many people would use it if offered, but I'm sure more would than do now. I'd love to see it, but won't hold my breath. The arguments in the ebay Cafe over sniping are intense, many bidders truly despise snipers. However, almost every time one of them complains in the forum, they are flamed out vehemantly. It seems the people most active in the ebay forums (dare I suggest they are probably the most serious about ebaying?) by a vast majority favor sniping, do it, and have many arguments in favor of it to directly discredit every point against it. I think most bidders by far don't snipe though; I've been there almost five years with over 180 transactions, and can count on one hand the times I've been out-sniped. I've been manually sniping from day one, and only lose if my snipe isn't high enough to beat the high bidder's proxy. That being said, I feel ebay has already instituted the ultimate bidding system, and it is best for everyone: proxy bidding. I'd say most members don't understand it, and that's why they hate snipers. Ignorance, it seems, is not always bliss- in this case it's anger without foundation. I wouldn't be surprised if ebay developed a sniping feature though; when something is used enough they generally develope their own or buy it out (i.e. People were linking to online stores, so ebay created storefronts; people wanted invoices, they developed Checkout; Paypal got popular, they bought it and integrated it). So, if one sniping service breaks out as truly reliable and superior to the others and becomes a household name in the ebay community, I'm sure ebay will either buy them out, or offer their own. Just my $.02