Skip to main content

Reply to "why does session timeout in AS"

quote:
Originally posted by bye-stuff:
Recently I've noticed that my session expires in AS when I leave it open and then come back to it later.

Previously, it did not do this.

I leave a browser window open on the "add snipe" page while browsing around ebay in another window looking for things to bid on. I then copy and paste the auction number into the AS window. If I leave the AS window open for a long time and try adding a snipe, I get a message telling me my AS session has expired and I must log in to AS again before I can add the snipe. This just started happening recently.

Many sites (eBay for one) use cookie expiration.
quote:

What is the timeout period? How long does it take for an idle session to expire?

You probably need to ask AS that. Smile
quote:

If AS programmers believes that having a timeout policy is the best way to behave, consider it again. What problem is it solving? Security from someone coming up to my session and entering a snipe without my knowing?
Yes - you have answered your question.
quote:

I control security to my session myself.

The software does not know that, though! Users may have dozens of people using their PCs and wreaking havoc.
quote:

If this is seen as a valuable service by AS, could it be set as a preference by user?

Probably; if a few 1000s of users requested this, they could spend a day modifying and testing the code. Don't hold your breath, though. Wink