Skip to main content

Reply to "Why Did I Not Win??"

I told you and dracq why there was no explanation: eBay didn't tell AS why the bid failed. AS is, after all, a computer. It only knows what it's told. If it doesn't have that information...well, what would you have it do? Computers aren't usually programmed to guess.

AS does in fact alter lead times when it detects a slowdown in eBay bid registration. But that is putting AS squarely on the horns of a dilemma: how much time to add to the lead? Too much and the snipe is hanging out there for potential counter-bidders to react to it. Too little and AS takes it on the chin for not adding enough.

Whether you return is of course your decision. If you felt chastised, then perhaps you should consider that with sniping you have one bid, and one only. Setting up a snipe without doing research -- and I'm not talking about just reading the latest Forum posts -- is like playing football without knowing what playing surface you'll be running on: natural grass or Astroturf. So you don't have the right cleats on your shoes and you lose the game. Whom to blame? The coaches? The field maintenance crew? The officials? If you're not willing to take the time to give yourself the best shot for your one bid to work, then perhaps you shouldn't be sniping. Razz
Last edited {1}